Paradox Help!!!!

Post by Core » Wed, 14 May 2003 22:40:44

I'm basically a developer using Access.  The company that I work for
has a paradox database that was developed about 7 years ago.  The
developer is no longer working for the company.  The database is
starting to generate errors and there is no documentation what so ever
and no one in the company has any paradox experience.  So I've been
volunteered to try and figure out what the problem might be.  So any
help would be greatly appreciated!!!

There is a problem with some records occasionally being deleted from
certain tables.  It appears that when a certain process is done this
happens.  My first plan of attack would be to repair tables.  I see
that there is a repair procedure in the menu.  Each table has to be
repaired individually?  Do you think this might fix the problem or can
it be something more serious?  Also I can't get the forms in design
mode, is there a way that I can unlock the forms so I can put it in
design mode?
Also is it possible that the forms can be exported into Access? I've
read in a document that this can be done.

I pretty much have my back against the wall here, any help would be
greatly appreciated.  I'm off to a local store to buy a paradox book
for some in-depth reading...lol.

Corey

Paradox Help!!!!

Post by Tony McGuir » Wed, 14 May 2003 22:50:03

'Unlock' the forms - it sounds like you have only the *delivered* form (.fdl
extension).  Those cannot be edited.  They are designed specifically to NOT
be edited by the end user.

'Repaired individually'.  Yes.

'Occasionally' being deleted.  There could be various reasons.  Table
corruption is a possibility.  Is it *possible* it is user error?

Bookstore is good.

You might also try www.rdaworldwide.com/pdoxres.htm and
www.thedbcommunity.com for LOTS of free resources about working with Paradox

And, of course, right here to ask questions.

server dedicate solely to Paradox.  It, too, is free.

Tony

"I woke up and was able to get myself out of bed.
Being that fortunate, what's to complain about?"
_____________

Paradox Help!!!!

Post by Dennis Santor » Wed, 14 May 2003 23:19:16

Corey,

Your company might do better by hiring some Paradox expertise. Especially
if this ap is in any way important to the company. What they are doing now
is basically the same as asking a secretary to take over bookkeeping
because she sometimes uses a calculator. Might work. Not likely. There are
lots of consulting organizations out there (such as ours, of course, and
others you can find at thedbcommunity.com) who can help you.

Nevertheless, see in line.

> I'm basically a developer using Access.  The company that I work for
> has a paradox database that was developed about 7 years ago.  The
> developer is no longer working for the company.  The database is
> starting to generate errors

Starting to? Since when? What changed? Paradox aps don't just start
modifying themselves any more than other aps. So either the problem has
been there or something is different now.

Quote:> and there is no documentation what so ever

With any luck at least the code is commented. But learning OPAL is going
to turn your head around a bit if you are only used to Access.

Quote:> and no one in the company has any paradox experience.  So I've been
> volunteered to try and figure out what the problem might be.  So any
> help would be greatly appreciated!!!

> There is a problem with some records occasionally being deleted from
> certain tables.  It appears that when a certain process is done this
> happens.

Well, what process? And does it always delete records? The same records?
Random Records? What pattern are you seeing? Can you reproduce the
problem? Are you certain this is not what it is supposed to do?

Quote:> My first plan of attack would be to repair tables.

Record deletions are not likely the result of table damage. Repair won't
bring the records back. But verifying the integrity of the tables won't
hurt. Make copies of all the tables (and their associated parts) before
you start. Paradox does not use a single monolithic table like the MDB.
Each table is multipart consisting of at least a .db and usually a .px
(primary index), .val, and any number of secondary indices. See the
Paradox help for a list of file extensions. Failure to capture all the
current parts of a table (other than FAM and TV) can break a table.

Quote:>  I see
> that there is a repair procedure in the menu.  Each table has to be
> repaired individually?

Yes.

Quote:>  Do you think this might fix the problem or can
> it be something more serious?

Doubtful it will fix the problem. Serious is a relative thing. It might be
something very simple. It might be a simple misunderstanding of how the ap
is supposed to work. We would need to know a lot more about the ap and the
deletions to answer the question.

Quote:>  Also I can't get the forms in design
> mode, is there a way that I can unlock the forms so I can put it in
> design mode?

You need the undelivered versions (FSL rather than FDL). If you don't have
the ?SL files for your forms, reports, libraries and scripts you are stuck
as you can not modify a delivered (compiled) form.

Quote:> Also is it possible that the forms can be exported into Access? I've
> read in a document that this can be done.

No. There is no such conversion utility. Data can be exported (or read
natively) but not the programming. They work too differently.

Quote:> I pretty much have my back against the wall here, any help would be
> greatly appreciated.  I'm off to a local store to buy a paradox book
> for some in-depth reading...lol.

Talk to your bosses about getting real help Using the wrong tool for the
job is a bad idea under pretty much all circumstances. Paradox can do
whatever you need but you have to know how to develop in it. Of course
there is no guarantee the original developer did. Lots of people say they
are database developers (in any tool) and really have no clue about
database design. You may want to check out my paper "Hammering Screws" on
our Paradox resources page (link in my signature). You might want to pass
it on to your boss as well. To get yourself started on learning Pdox (if
you must go that route) I suggest you start with my "Database Basics"
paper also on the Paradox resources page. It can help you with info on
pitfalls and best practices. As for books, there are lots of good ones out
there (ones for as far back as version 7 will still be very helpful and to
version 5 are useful) but you will likely have to hunt them down at used
places. Some good ones are also listed at thedbcommunity.com.

Best of luck.
Denn Santoro
President
Resource Development Associates
http://www.RDAWorldWide.Com
Offices in the United States and Germany
Providing solutions to health care, business, governments and non-profits
since 1982

Paradox Help!!!!

Post by Steven Gree » Wed, 14 May 2003 23:20:02

> I'm basically a developer using Access.  The company that I work for has
> a paradox database that was developed about 7 years ago.  The developer
> is no longer working for the company.

exactly what Tony and Dennis said..

beware.. beyond this point be dragons <g>

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

Paradox Help!!!!

Post by Core » Thu, 15 May 2003 04:28:58

Denn, Thanks for your in-depth reply

The problems could be associated with user errors...

I have not been able to reproduce any of the problems.  There is a
table with customer names, 2-3 times a month any names starting with
the letter before C gets deleted.  I'm thinking that this problem is
more of a user error.  This table is primarily used to populate a
combo box on a form and when the combo box is selected the user has
the option to click on command buttons that will either select current
item selected, add a new customer or delete current item selected.  Of
course the combo box is in ascending order so anything starting with
A's is at the top.  There is nothing that trigers a mesage box asking
if the user wants to delete current item selected and as you are well
aware, some users always click before thinking...That being said, I
will ignore that problem for now as I have a more important problem...

The problem that I'm having a hard time with a form that a user uses
to ship  parts.  This problem is not repetitive but it is a slight
occurence. (which could also point to user error). The user enters
part numbers and then the quantity that was shipped.  Then there is
another form that shows what was shipped which also shows what is left
on hand.  From time to time not all parts are showing up on this form.
 I've had this particular user enter new data on a number of occasians
and the problem does't exist,but it does happen and I haven't been
able to duplicate the problem...

Thanks for all the comments, it was valuable information...

Paradox Help!!!!

Post by Tony McGuir » Thu, 15 May 2003 04:33:49

Are you sure that records aren't being 'added' to the table - by replacing
the current record(s)?

In other words, instead of insertrecord(), THEN add the data, a tcursor is
being opened, put in edit mode, and a record's worth of data is replacing
the data already there?

Also, as to the data not showing up, try issuing a tc.forcerefresh().  This
forces Paradox to 'see' ALL data, in the event data was added between the
time the tcursor was initially opened and the point the operation starts.

Let us know if any of the above are possiblities.

Tony

"I woke up and was able to get myself out of bed.
Being that fortunate, what's to complain about?"
_____________

1. HELP ME WITH THE PARADOX HELP FILES!!

AL391728 said:
<Does anybody know how to change the help files access path? I have
<these files in other machine, and I can access it whith the network.
<I'm using Windows for Workgroups and Paradox 5.0 for Windows.
Run a file drive:\windows\winhelp.exe. From there you can use file|
open and open any windows help file.

2. VB DTS Package Manipulation

3. Help me with the Paradox help files!!

4. How repair and compress Access MDB from VB ?

5. Client Server Paradox Help?

6. copy a table from db1 to db2

7. BDE16-OS2-Paradox-HELP!!!!!!

8. Deploying MSDE - Licenses?

9. MultiUser Delphi App Using Paradox - Help !

10. Heterogeneous Query - Sybase, Paradox HELP!!

11. Paradox Help (Please Uergent)

12. Paradox help

13. Client Server Paradox Help?