Any Good Books On Paradox?

Post by JediPengui » Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:00:00

You heard the question. I'm a complete newbie to Paradox, and still am not
quite sure exactly what it is... Help is appreciated.

Any Good Books On Paradox?

Post by Liz » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

JediPenguin,

If you search this group and the Corel groups for messages
with 'Book' in the subject line, you'll find numerous
suggestions.  If you weren't aware of the Corel groups, the
server is cnews.corel.com, and the groups are:

corelsupport.faqs.paradox
corelsupport.paradox8
corelsupport.paradox9
corelsupport.paradox-win_other_versions
corelsupport.paradox-dos
coreldevelopers.paradox
coreldevelopers.paradox-opal
coreldevelopers.paradox-web

Personally, I think this and the Corel groups are your best
sources of Paradox knowledge...

Hope this helps,

Liz
---
Get the lead out before you reply

Post by eric » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> You heard the question. I'm a complete newbie to Paradox, and still am not
> quite sure exactly what it is... Help is appreciated.

PARADOX FOR WINDOWS
BOOK TITLES

This list contains book titles that are specifically written for Paradox for
Windows as well as titles about general programming.  Many of these titles can
be ordered from www.amason.com.   I hope you find this resource useful.

J. Eric Taylor
Houston, Texas

                           > > >  Paradox for Windows Titles  < < <

TITLE: Paradox Programming Unleashed
AUTHOR:  Mike Prestwood
PUBLISHER: QUE ( Macmillan Computer Publishing )
ISBN: 067-230-8958
DISKETTE/CD:  CD
[ Must Have ]

TITLE: What Every Paradox 5 for Windows Programmer Should Know
AUTHOR: Mike Prestwood
PUBLISHER:  Sams Publishing  1-800-428-5331
ISBN: 0-672-30533-X
DISKETTE/CD:  Disk
[ Must Have ]

TITLE: Creating Paradox for Window Applications
AUTHOR: Bill Todd, Vince Kellen
PUBLISHER: New Riders Publishing  1-800-448-5331
ISBN:
DISKETTE/CD: Disk
[ Must Have ]

TITLE: Paradox 5 for Windows Secretes
AUTHOR: Greg Salcedo, Martin Rudy
PUBLISHER:  IDG Books  1-800-762-2974
ISBN: 1-56884-085-3
DISKETTE/CD: Disk
[ Must Have ]

TITLE: Paradox Queries - Version 5 For Windows
AUTHOR: Dan Ehrmann
PUBLISHER: M&T Books  ( Division of MIS Press )
ISBN: 1-55851-401-5
DISKETTE/CD: Disk
[ Must Have ]

TITLE: Paradox for Windows Essential Power Programming
AUTHOR: Joseph Fung
PUBLISHER: Prima Computer Books  1-916-632-4400
ISBN: 1-55985-185-9
DISKETTE/CD: Disk
[ Must Have ]

TITLE: Killer Paradox 5 for Windows
AUTHOR: Leon Chalnik ( with eight other power P.W. programmers! )
PUBLISHER: QUE ( Macmillan Computer Publishing )
ISBN: 1-56529-886-1
DISKETTE/CD: Disk
[ Must Have ]

TITLE: Mastering Paradox 7 for Windows
AUTHOR: Alan Simpson
PUBLISHER: SYBEX  1-800-227-2346
ISBN: 0-7821-1786-4
DISKETTE/CD: None

TITLE: Paradox 4.5 for Windows Unleashed
AUTHOR: Ori Gurewich, Nathan Gurewich
PUBLISHER: Sams Publishing 1-800-428-5331
ISBN: 0-672-30410-4
DISKETTE/CD: Disk

TITLE:  Paradox 5.0 for Windows Power Tool Kit
AUTHOR: Edward C. Jones
PUBLISHER: Ventana Press  1-800-743-5369
ISBN: 1-56604-236-4
DISKETTE/CD: CD

TITLE: The Visual Guide To Paradox for Windows
AUTHOR: Patrick J. Burns, Jan Weingarten, Ted Clifford
PUBLISHER: Ventana Press  1-800-743-5369
ISBN: 1-56604-150-3
DISKETTE/CD: Disk

TITLE: Inside Paradox for Windows
AUTHOR: Richard Wagner
PUBLISHER: New Riders Publishing  1-800-448-5331
ISBN: 1-56205-122-9
DISKETTE/CD: Disk

TITLE: Develop Your First Paradox 5 For Windows Application in 14 Days
AUTHOR: Lee Atkinson
PUBLISHER: Sams Publishing
ISBN: 0-672-30597-6
DISKETTE/CD: CD

TITLE: Programming Paradox for Windows
AUTHOR: Cary Jensen, Loy Anderson
PUBLISHER: SYBEX  1-800-227-2346
ISBN: 0-7821-1018-5
DISKETTE/CD: None

                                 > > > General Programming Titles < < <

TITLE: Code Complete
AUTHOR: Steve McConnell
PUBLISHER: Microsoft Press  1-800 MS PRESS
ISBN: 1-55615-484-4
DISKETTE/CD: None
[ Absolutely Must Have ! ]

TITLE: Rapid Development
AUTHOR: Steve McConnell
PUBLISHER: Microsoft Press  1-800 MS PRESS
ISBN: 1-55615-484-4
DISKETTE/CD: None
[ Absolutely Must Have ! ]

TITLE: Handbook of Relational Database Design
AUTHOR: Candace C. Fleming, Barbara von Halle
PUBLISHER: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
ISBN: 0-201-11434-8
DISKETTE/CD: None
[ Absolutely Must Have ! ]

Any Good Books On Paradox?

Post by Richard Cart » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

: This list contains book titles that are specifically written for Paradox for
: Windows as well as titles about general programming.  Many of these titles can
: be ordered from www.amason.com.   I hope you find this resource useful.

I don't mean to flame someone who has put in so much effort,
but there are spelling errors which will keep people from finding
the resources.  First and most obvious is http://www.amazon.com/
If you go to their site and do a search on "Paradox Database Management"
you'll get about 250 hits, mostly to books now out of print, but
Amazon claims to have sources to try to still obtain these books
for you.  If nothing else, you will have titles (correctly spelled)
and ISBN numbers.  If you live in a city with a Half Price Books or
similar chain, and/or a computer superstore with an out-of-print
remainder bin or book section, those are worth looking through.
You'll have to do some searching, but when you find the books, the
price will be right.

The most worthwhile book still in print is Mike Prestwood's "Paradox
9 Power Programming."  Portions of this book are available online at
http://www.prestwood.com, as well as info on ordering the book directly.
Mike occasionally also has a few copies of "Paradox 7 Programming Unleashed"
to sell, though it's now out of print.  These two books, as well as Mike's
"What Every Paradox __ Programmer Should Know" all are all excellent, and
all have enough different content that I keep referring to all three of
them.

Other authors I've found especially helpful are Bill Todd, Vince Kellen,
Dan Ehrmann, Leon Chalnick, Cary Jensen.

As far as scouring for old newsgroup messages (mentioned by another poster),
you may have better success by searching the archives at
http://developers.href.com or http//www.deja.com/

Happy hunting!

--
Rick Carter

Any Good Books On Paradox?

Post by Terr » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

How come we haven't seen these people's names in this forum.?  Responding
lately, .... that is.

> [...]

> : TITLE: Programming Paradox for Windows
> : AUTHOR: Cary Jensen, Loy Anderson
> : PUBLISHER: SYBEX  1-800-227-2346
> : ISBN: 0-7821-1018-5
> : DISKETTE/CD: None

> :                                  > > > General Programming Titles < < <

> : TITLE: Code Complete
> : AUTHOR: Steve McConnell
> : PUBLISHER: Microsoft Press  1-800 MS PRESS
> : ISBN: 1-55615-484-4
> : DISKETTE/CD: None
> : [ Absolutely Must Have ! ]

> : TITLE: Rapid Development
> : AUTHOR: Steve McConnell
> : PUBLISHER: Microsoft Press  1-800 MS PRESS
> : ISBN: 1-55615-484-4
> : DISKETTE/CD: None
> : [ Absolutely Must Have ! ]

> : TITLE: Handbook of Relational Database Design
> : AUTHOR: Candace C. Fleming, Barbara von Halle
> : PUBLISHER: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company

Any Good Books On Paradox?

Post by Mike Irwin [CTech » Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Because this isn't the main forum for Paradox. Look on the
cnews.corel.com news server to find info on your version in any of
these:

corelsupport.faqs.paradox
corelsupport.paradox8
corelsupport.paradox9
corelsupport.paradox-win_other_versions
corelsupport.paradox-dos
coreldevelopers.paradox
coreldevelopers.paradox-opal
coreldevelopers.paradox-web

and if you see something that you think should be in the Paradox FAQs
there, please please post a message to me on the Paradox9 NG there and
I'll be back to you. Time is (always) short, but I try to get things
out there ! This was especially a plea to those of you dealing with
PdoxDOS !!

Mike

--
Mike Irwin                    It's not because things are hard that we
[Volunteer CTech Sysop,       don't dare them; it's because we don't