Multiple Idapi files

Post by Craig Kunze » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

We are connecting our five sites in a WAN.  Each Site has its own databases
and idapi file.  In some cases we will to access databases over the WAN. The
problem is we cannot access the file because another Idapi file has a lock
on it.
Also there would never (well at least not at this time) have situation where
we would
need to access both local and Wan files at the same time.
I'm use P5 but plan to upgrade to P9 with in 6 months
So what is the best solution?  I've though of a few but have not tested
them.

1.  I Could Use a global Atapi, but I don't know how much traffic
that would create on the expensive WAN lines.  Does Pdox read the Idapi
and put it in cache or does it constantly refer it.

2. Some one told me that the was a command line option to tell pdox which
Idapi
file to use and I could place two icons on the desktop for each idapi file.
If this is true does anyone know it?

3. The third option is replication, but this has some Big disadvantages in
synchronization.

TIA
Craig Kunzel

Multiple Idapi files

Post by Mike Irwin [CTech » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

1. you can only load one BDE into the memory of a cpu at any time, so
using two IDAPI configs is not a possibility

2. yes, you can tell Paradox what IDAPI configuration to use. You can
also tell it which BDE to use, but that is a registry setting (in Pdox
9) or a Win.ini setting for Pdox 5.

3. Yes, you can use a centralised BDE. This isn't really recommended,
because it's usually slow.

4. What is the error message about the locking ? Are you certain that
all installs are using the same Net directory ???

5. Replication. The Pdx9 Developers Edition contains Peer Direct
replication, which is good and does work.

--
Mike Irwin                    It's not because things are hard that we
[Volunteer CTech Sysop,       don't dare them; it's because we don't

Multiple Idapi files

Post by DF » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Craig,

As far as Paradox 5 is being used, the answer is YES!
You can Load several simultaneous instances of Paradox on one PC (up to 9, I think) that while using the same BDE (IDAPI), work
with individual copies of CFG file.

Example:

Icon for "Pdox1" instance has:
"C:\PW5\PDOXWIN.EXE -o C:\IDAPI\IDAPI01.CFG -p C:\PRIV\PRIV01" in the command line,
icon for "Pdox2" has:
"C:\PW5\PDOXWIN.EXE -o C:\IDAPI\IDAPI02.CFG -p C:\PRIV\PRIV02" , etc.
(Please note that PRIVATE directory must be unique for each session)

I am afraid, that's NOT what you need in you case...

When you share a physical Paradox database, all users will have to read and write to the same PDOXUSRS.NET file.
So the safest way is to have the ONLY ONE copy of IDAPI.CFG file in the shared area (WAN) and make sure that it points
to ONLY ONE PDOXUSRS.NET file. The network traffic related to reading a copy of IDAPI file (once per session) and updating NET and
LCK files is NILL compared to the traffic caused by Paradox being non-client/server DB.

Usual problems are related to the situation when you try to initialize IDAPI without having access to the PDOXUSRS.NET file
(network is down or slow, etc.) The NET file would be created on the first available drive (usually C:\) and that file would start
interfering with other user's locks (*.LCK files).
So, if you can find a way to prevent users from starting (or using) Paradox when the WAN is not available (or Lock timeout is
reached), everything should be OK.

Hope this helps,
Dmitry.

>We are connecting our five sites in a WAN.  Each Site has its own databases
>and idapi file.  In some cases we will to access databases over the WAN. The
>problem is we cannot access the file because another Idapi file has a lock
>on it.
>Also there would never (well at least not at this time) have situation where
>we would
>need to access both local and Wan files at the same time.
>I'm use P5 but plan to upgrade to P9 with in 6 months
>So what is the best solution?  I've though of a few but have not tested
>them.

>1.  I Could Use a global Atapi, but I don't know how much traffic
>that would create on the expensive WAN lines.  Does Pdox read the Idapi
>and put it in cache or does it constantly refer it.

>2. Some one told me that the was a command line option to tell pdox which
>Idapi
>file to use and I could place two icons on the desktop for each idapi file.
>If this is true does anyone know it?

>3. The third option is replication, but this has some Big disadvantages in
>synchronization.

>TIA
>Craig Kunzel

Multiple Idapi files

Post by Mike Irwin [CTech » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>So, if you can find a way to prevent users from starting (or using)

Paradox when the WAN is not available (or Lock  timeout is reached),
everything should be OK.<<

You can ask Paradox 9 where the NET file is. As none of the apps should
be instances running on the server, it should always be on another
machine. If an instance finds that the NT dir is on its own machine,
then something has gone wrong ! QED

--
Mike Irwin                    It's not because things are hard that we
[Volunteer CTech Sysop,       don't dare them; it's because we don't
not a Corel employee]         dare them that they are hard - Seneca.

1. Help! Multiple idapi.cfg files

Please help/guide me.

I have an app in which I wish to keep the IDAPI.CFG file
completely separate from any other config.  How can you
start a prog and point to the appropriate IDAPI.CFG file.

--
Regards
Greg Forrester

Check out my Home Page!

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~statware

2. Multiserver Administration

3. BUGS idapi BUGS idapi BUGS idapi BUGS

4. SQL 6.5 max. mem. config ??

5. Multiple Idapi Help

6. Getting an IDENTITY value BEFORE an insert, other stuff!

7. IDAPI configuration for multiple users...

8. Crystal Report Question

9. IDAPI Problem: Multiple sessions of PXWIN or DELPHI

10. idapi bcb5 versus idapi bc5.01

11. DELPHI IDAPI => PARADOX 5 IDAPI

12. alternative idapi.cfg file

13. IDR1007.DLL - IDAPI German language resource file