USERNAME() vs. COMPUTER-NAME

Post by Dick Rubi » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:50:53

Mike Kennedy wrote last month:

Quote:>I don't have the exact details to hand, but, internally, PDoxDOS issues
>OS "calls" which ask for the COMPUTER-NAME. I've no idea why this was
>done way back when the code was written.

I'm seeing this behavior with workstations on Netware 3.12 and 5.x, but
only _some_ workstations are affected.  That is, on most workstations
USERNAME() returns the Network login name, but on a few it returns the
computer-name.  All the workstations I tested are Win98 SE.

Any idea what makes the difference?

USERNAME() vs. COMPUTER-NAME

Post by Steven Gree » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:56:08

> I'm seeing this behavior with workstations on Netware 3.12 and 5.x, but
> only _some_ workstations are affected.  That is, on most workstations
> USERNAME() returns the Network login name, but on a few it returns the
> computer-name.

with PdoxDOS, if Username is filled in, in the CCP, that's what you get.. if
it's blank, and Network Type in Nupdate is Novell, you'll get the Novell
Username.. if Network Type is Other, you will *not* get the Novell
Username..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

USERNAME() vs. COMPUTER-NAME

Post by Dick Rubi » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:02:47

says...
Quote:> with PdoxDOS, if Username is filled in, in the CCP, that's what you get.. if
> it's blank, and Network Type in Nupdate is Novell, you'll get the Novell
> Username.. if Network Type is Other, you will *not* get the Novell
> Username..

Bingo.  Thanks, Steve.  PdoxDOS is installed on each C: drive.  Some are
configured with Network Type as Novell, and some as Other.  I read
somewhere, in this forum probably, that Other is preferred -- what do you
recommend?

--Dick

USERNAME() vs. COMPUTER-NAME

Post by Steven Gree » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:14:09

> I read somewhere, in this forum probably, that Other is preferred -- what do you

> recommend?

the only real reason to use Network Type "Novell" is if you want the network
username.. otherwise, it doesn't matter..

in my apps, it doesn't matter.. the CCP Username tells me the machine being used,
and the user login tells me the user..