clearing selected data in one field

Post by Daryl Morga » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

I have a database in which each record is a teacher. There are fields for
 names, addresses, etc. One of the fields has the number of students,
which changes each year. I want to select and clear a group of entries in
that one field, while leaving the rest of the data intact. I have tried
everything I can think of, with no success. There has to be a way to do
this.
   -dcm-

clearing selected data in one field

Post by R. Albrech » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a database in which each record is a teacher. There are fields
for
>  names, addresses, etc. One of the fields has the number of students,
> which changes each year. I want to select and clear a group of entries
in
> that one field, while leaving the rest of the data intact. I have tried
> everything I can think of, with no success. There has to be a way to do
> this.
>    -dcm-

Try using a TCursor in a scan loop to set the fields to Blank, or whatever
value you'd like.

HTH
Bob

Post by Richard K Carte » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I have a database in which each record is a teacher. There are fields for
:  names, addresses, etc. One of the fields has the number of students,
: which changes each year. I want to select and clear a group of entries in
: that one field, while leaving the rest of the data intact. I have tried
: everything I can think of, with no success. There has to be a way to do
: this.
:    -dcm-
I assume you are using Paradox for Windows?  Why not a query which
gives the criteria for the records you want to select, then in the
"number of students" field, put CHANGETO BLANK -- that should do it.

Post by Helen Culle » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I have a database in which each record is a teacher. There are fields for
>  names, addresses, etc. One of the fields has the number of students,
> which changes each year. I want to select and clear a group of entries in
> that one field, while leaving the rest of the data intact. I have tried
> everything I can think of, with no success. There has to be a way to do
> this.
>    -dcm-

One way would be a CHANGETO query - make the query change the field
to blank or 0.

clearing selected data in one field

Post by Steve Gree » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

In PdoxDOS or PdoxWIN (you don't say which), you can
do a "changeto" query to do this:

 Mytable | Group | Number of Students |
         | A     | changeto blank     |

--
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group - Waldorf Maryland USA
CompuServe 71333.2362 - Prodigy TBMG62A -  I am a member of