My Comparison ** VB vs Paradox for WIN **

My Comparison ** VB vs Paradox for WIN **

Post by George Tat » Sat, 03 Sep 1994 10:19:23



Thanks for the good post.  I'm sure somebody can take issue with this or
that point (from my experience, somebody can take issue with anything) but
I'd think just about anybody should appreciate the overall time and effort.

It would be really nice if you sent it to Jan to put in the FAQ (maybe
after editing just a few of the more subjective comments) so it's around
for future reference.

gt
____________________________________________________________________________
|    George Tatge'    |   GLOBAL ABBREVIATIONS, as seen in "Windows"       |
|                     |           Superior Shareware column.               |

|                     |                                                    |
|_Solid Software Inc._|__________ZZHOT.VBX   Coming Soon!__________________|
|                                                                          |
|___________Consulting and Custom Software Development for Windows_________|

 
 
 

My Comparison ** VB vs Paradox for WIN **

Post by Nasir No » Sat, 03 Sep 1994 08:15:40


Following is my comparison of two products. Please keep in mind that I am
not a VB user. I am starting to check it out because of its popularity so
the feature I am comparing may look very elemantry to some advanced
users/developers. But this is how far I could get in about 3 days. I would
appreciate some more info on the topic. How about comparison with Access2.0

I noticed that application development (not the database stuff) has about
60-70% same concepts/stuff in both apps.

VB provides an easy access to all the relevant properties of an object.
They remain on screen all the time displayed in the window. Paradox on the
other hand does not have such feature, but it does allow *quicker* access
to the most commonly used properties at design time and also offers a
"visual" way to modify them. Also, Paradox offers a *MUCH MUCH* greater
number of properties. (Note that Paradox 5.0 to include more properties).
Both apps provide ways to manipulate properties that you wish could be in
the other one. Don't know about Paradox v5.0 if it matched any. Don't know
about plans of VB 4.0 either.

VB has easier project management. Paradox to match or better it in v5.0

VB ships with a very rich set of graphics, icons, sample apps, dlls, VBX's
etc etc. Paradox falls short here. Don't know about v5.0 though.

VB has syntax highlighting (and colour coding -- also found in likes of
BC++, etc) and some syntax checking on line by line basis as you are typing
the code. Paradox 4.5 does not have it. Don't know about v5.0.

In VB, standard windows elements defined visualy in the app, e.g. scroll
bars, drop down lists etc look a lot better. Paradox 4.5 falls short here.
Paradox's scroll bars are neat in a sense that sometimes in a smaller region
you don't need a full sized standard windows scroll bar staring at you but
in larger regions, sometime you wish that you had it. Don't know about v5.0.
Notice once again that both apps have a feature that you wish could be in
the other one as well.

VB can show text both in raised and engraved effects. Paradox 4.5 can't.
Just supports regular font shadows. Don't know about 5.0.

VB has a very rich set of third party VBX's. However, VB losed this edge
as Paradox 5.0 will be able to use them as well.

VB has ODBC available *NOW. However, VB losed this edge as Paradox 5.0
also has it.

VB has a *LOT* less properties than Paradox does.

VB's interface is little faster. Try putting a button on a form in both
VB and Paradox. Run both forms. You can rapidly click on VB's button and
it will be pushed with almost every click. Paradox's button can't. It
required little delay between two clicks. Also, put a full form sized
button on form (I don't know what's the use of that but good for comparison)
in both apps. When you click on the VB's button. It gets pushed in and out
with the same speed as a normal sized one. In Paradox you can *see* the
redraws during pushed in and out operation.

When you cut/copy/paste an object in VB, it just copies the code. You have
to manualy move the code. And if the object happened to have code defined
for many events, good luck! Paradox on the other hand moves code and object
together.

In VB you can delete an object you have attached code to and it just gets
deleted but your code is saved by VB. Paradox deletes the object and you
also loose the code. Don't know about Paradox 5.0.

In Paradox, you can easily access all the codes defined for a particular
object but not for every other object on the form. VB on the other hand
concenterated on making the later part easier. All of the code is at one
place so you don't have to go clicking here and there. Don't know about
Paradox 5.0.

Paradox has extremely rich command set. Its supposed to get richer by
about another 300 commands in v5.0.

In Paradox you can break a line of code into as many as you wish. VB can't.
I hear that even in future versions, you have put some sort of control
character at the end to indicate breakage (if supported at all, that is).

PARADOX HAS EXTERMELY POWERFULL AT DATABASE STUFF. DOES NOT NEED ANY
WORD OF PRAISE HERE. COMPARING VB's AND PARADOX's DATABASE HANDLING WILL
SEEM LIKE A JOKE.

VB has good debugging tools as compared with Paradox 4.5 which is realy
poor at this. But I hear that Paradox 5.0 has debugging tools that you
would expect from a company like Borland.

VB can save code and description of the whole form in text format so you
can open your *form* and code in any text editor or word processor and
modify anything you want. Plus all of your code is at one place all the
time. Paradox can't save in text format but you can ask for the code
listing. Don't know about 5.0.

PARADOX IS TRULY COMPILED. VB IS INTERPRETTED. You can check any Paradox's
delivered form, report or script in binary editor and it has standard exe
heading "This application required Microsoft Windows". You can change the
extension from FDL etc to EXE and it will run under Windows (although it
won't do anything). I also remember that once I was playing with Paradox's
resources using Borland's resource editor and I came accross a dialog box
that was an EXE generator. It had questions like name of EXE file etc etc.
It indicates that Paradox has the ability to generate stand alone EXE's
even now but for some reason Borland does not want to loose money it makes
on the runtime I guess.

VB is very easily distributed. All you need is a VBRUNx00.DLL file which
is free and is only 250-300k in size. Paradox requires a *huge* runtime
and cost ~$500 to acquire (plus you have to wait for it).

While designing forms, Paradox allows powerfull and fast ways to make a
group of your objects of same size, align or to adjust space between them.
VB can't match it.

Paradox has containership. *BIG* plus. VB has control array but no
comparison. There are lot of stuff and code saving and control exercising
that is only possible thru containership.

VB has a usefull CHANGE trigger. Paradox doesn't. Have to code for it by
continously monitoring for keys that can't change contents. Don't know
about the v5.0.

VB has a powerfull access key (hot key) feature for the Push Buttons just
like the "&" symbol when defining menus. In Paradox, you have to code for
the hot key for the button. Don't know about v5.0.

VB has a convenient TabIndex property to set the tab stop order. Paradox
4.5 have to code for it. Don't know about 5.0

VB seems to have drap and drop in apps. Paradox 4.5 does not. Have to code
for it which is *not* easy stuff. Don't know about v5.0.

Paradox's event model is far more superior *and* complex :-(

You would have noticed that both app's shine in some area and both have
functions that you wish to see in the other one. But I guess with the
intro of v5.0, Paradox will have a strong and clear lead. VB used to have
extensibilty edge but it is lost as Paradox supported VBX's. Also OLE 2.0
and ODBC, and project management, and debugging tools, and *much* better
database performance, and query tools and native reporting tools (in VB
you have to launch another app to design and get the report out), and
more and more and more...

Nasir A. Noor


 
 
 

My Comparison ** VB vs Paradox for WIN **

Post by Micah J. Bleech » Sat, 03 Sep 1994 07:46:12



>Newsgroups: comp.lang.basic.visual,comp.databases.paradox
>Path: nova.voicenet.com!netnews.upenn.edu!msuinfo!agate!howland.reston.ans.net!swrinde!gatech!newsxfer.itd.umich.edu!uunet!newsflash.concordia.ca!canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca!mona.muug.mb.ca!nnoor

>Subject: My Comparison ** VB vs Paradox for WIN **

>Organization: Manitoba Unix User Group, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
>Date: Thu, 1 Sep 1994 23:15:40 GMT
>Lines: 144
>Xref: nova.voicenet.com comp.lang.basic.visual:20702 comp.databases.paradox:7702

Exellent Post - There were a few innaccuracies in the Paradox features I
wanted to correct however.

Quote:>VB has easier project management. Paradox to match or better it in v5.0

Its improved, but not where we want it yet.

Quote:>VB ships with a very rich set of graphics, icons, sample apps, dlls, VBX's
>etc etc. Paradox falls short here. Don't know about v5.0 though.

The developers toolkit will probably include some of these.

Quote:>VB has syntax highlighting (and colour coding -- also found in likes of
>BC++, etc) and some syntax checking on line by line basis as you are typing
>the code. Paradox 4.5 does not have it. Don't know about v5.0.

I wish it did - Maybe next version.

Quote:>In VB, standard windows elements defined visualy in the app, e.g. scroll
>bars, drop down lists etc look a lot better. Paradox 4.5 falls short here.
>Paradox's scroll bars are neat in a sense that sometimes in a smaller region
>you don't need a full sized standard windows scroll bar staring at you but
>in larger regions, sometime you wish that you had it. Don't know about v5.0.
>Notice once again that both apps have a feature that you wish could be in
>the other one as well.

5.0 has the large scroll bars now.

Quote:>VB can show text both in raised and engraved effects. Paradox 4.5 can't.
>Just supports regular font shadows. Don't know about 5.0.

The effect can be achieved but unfortunately its not built in.

Quote:>VB has a very rich set of third party VBX's. However, VB losed this edge
>as Paradox 5.0 will be able to use them as well.

Unfortuantely, you're wrong on this - Paradox still cant use vbx's.

Quote:>VB has ODBC available *NOW. However, VB losed this edge as Paradox 5.0
>also has it.

Yes ODBC *and* IDAPI ....

Quote:>In VB you can delete an object you have attached code to and it just gets
>deleted but your code is saved by VB. Paradox deletes the object and you
>also loose the code. Don't know about Paradox 5.0.

Thats true - the code is encapsulated in the object.

Quote:>In Paradox, you can easily access all the codes defined for a particular
>object but not for every other object on the form. VB on the other hand
>concenterated on making the later part easier. All of the code is at one
>place so you don't have to go clicking here and there. Don't know about
>Paradox 5.0.

This is simply a matter of coding style.

Quote:>PARADOX HAS EXTERMELY POWERFULL AT DATABASE STUFF. DOES NOT NEED ANY
>WORD OF PRAISE HERE. COMPARING VB's AND PARADOX's DATABASE HANDLING WILL
>SEEM LIKE A JOKE.

Yes, we're all spoiled by this <g>

Quote:>VB has good debugging tools as compared with Paradox 4.5 which is realy
>poor at this. But I hear that Paradox 5.0 has debugging tools that you
>would expect from a company like Borland.

Yes the new de* is great!!

Quote:>VB can save code and description of the whole form in text format so you
>can open your *form* and code in any text editor or word processor and
>modify anything you want. Plus all of your code is at one place all the
>time. Paradox can't save in text format but you can ask for the code
>listing. Don't know about 5.0.

This is true

Quote:>It indicates that Paradox has the ability to generate stand alone EXE's
>even now but for some reason Borland does not want to loose money it makes
>on the runtime I guess.

I think they would make much more on a compiler. I dont think its as easy as
it seems.

Quote:>VB has a usefull CHANGE trigger. Paradox doesn't. Have to code for it by
>continously monitoring for keys that can't change contents. Don't know
>about the v5.0.

There have been changeValue and newValue events since 1.0

Quote:>VB has a powerfull access key (hot key) feature for the Push Buttons just
>like the "&" symbol when defining menus. In Paradox, you have to code for
>the hot key for the button. Don't know about v5.0.

The & only works with menus - buttons still have to be coded manually.

Quote:>VB has a convenient TabIndex property to set the tab stop order. Paradox
>4.5 have to code for it. Don't know about 5.0

Each tabbable object has a NextTabObject property now.

Quote:>VB seems to have drap and drop in apps. Paradox 4.5 does not. Have to code
>for it which is *not* easy stuff. Don't know about v5.0.

Still have to code it.

Quote:>Paradox's event model is far more superior *and* complex :-(

Thanks again for your great post.

;==============================================
; Datacraft, Inc.
; Database Solutions for Today's Business
; Philadelphia - New York - Washington DC
; (609) 227-0202 (609) 374-1704 fax
;==============================================

 
 
 

My Comparison ** VB vs Paradox for WIN **

Post by Kuo-Sheng (Kas » Sat, 03 Sep 1994 13:50:23


[edited]

Nice comparison.  But as I will repeat later, we are comparing station
wagons and a truck here.  Station wagon will do every thing okay, but
trucks are built to handle cargo.  Similarily, VB is designed as a
general programming environment for Windows, while PDOXWIN is a Windows
database.  It is not really fair to compare the two, even though VB has
access to ODBC.

Here's some comments on the comparisons, other parts are deleted to save
space.

: VB has easier project management. Paradox to match or better it in v5.0

The project viewer is much better in 5.0 than 4.5.  IMHO it is better
than VB, except you can't define an overall project and have PDW
automatically deliver everything and package it for you, but I've heard
that people are already working on such a PDW application.

: VB ships with a very rich set of graphics, icons, sample apps, dlls, VBX's
: etc etc. Paradox falls short here. Don't know about v5.0 though.

VB is general programming, PDW is database programming.  Graphics, icons,
DLLs, and VBX usually have little or no bearing here, except to spruce up
the interface a little.  

Borland DID spread around those Borland-style graphical buttons for free
but those are not THAT useful.  You are welcome to embed any graphics
into a button though...

PDW5 shipped with a fully functional Contact Manager with lots of GOOD
features, plus the DIVESHOP which came since 1.0.

: VB has syntax highlighting (and colour coding -- also found in likes of
: BC++, etc) and some syntax checking on line by line basis as you are typing
: the code. Paradox 4.5 does not have it. Don't know about v5.0.

PDW5 doesn't have it either.

: In VB, standard windows elements defined visualy in the app, e.g. scroll
: bars, drop down lists etc look a lot better. Paradox 4.5 falls short here.
: Paradox's scroll bars are neat in a sense that sometimes in a smaller region
: you don't need a full sized standard windows scroll bar staring at you but
: in larger regions, sometime you wish that you had it. Don't know about v5.0.
: Notice once again that both apps have a feature that you wish could be in
: the other one as well.

PDW5 have option of full size or mini scroll bars.

: VB can show text both in raised and engraved effects. Paradox 4.5 can't.
: Just supports regular font shadows. Don't know about 5.0.

Doesn't have it either.  But personally those look confusing to me.  :-)

: VB has a very rich set of third party VBX's. However, VB losed this edge
: as Paradox 5.0 will be able to use them as well.

Nope...  VBX will be in PDW6.0.  dBase for Windows 5.0 has VBXs though.

: VB's interface is little faster. Try putting a button on a form in both
: VB and Paradox. Run both forms. You can rapidly click on VB's button and
: it will be pushed with almost every click. Paradox's button can't. It
: required little delay between two clicks. Also, put a full form sized
: button on form (I don't know what's the use of that but good for comparison)
: in both apps. When you click on the VB's button. It gets pushed in and out
: with the same speed as a normal sized one. In Paradox you can *see* the
: redraws during pushed in and out operation.

Not quite true.  There's a mousedouble method which handles
doubleclicking.  If you add code there to translate that into single
clicks you'll get full single clicks.

: In VB you can delete an object you have attached code to and it just gets
: deleted but your code is saved by VB. Paradox deletes the object and you
: also loose the code. Don't know about Paradox 5.0.

Same.  But really, if you attach code to object and wipe out the object,
it MAKES SENSE to lose the code as well.

: In Paradox, you can easily access all the codes defined for a particular
: object but not for every other object on the form. VB on the other hand
: concenterated on making the later part easier. All of the code is at one
: place so you don't have to go clicking here and there. Don't know about
: Paradox 5.0.

What about the object tree?  All the code is accessible there.  Just right
click any box in the tree.  There's also the ENUMSOURCECODE and the
shareware / freeware source editors like Enumerator Pro and Source Browser
for PDW.

: PARADOX HAS EXTERMELY POWERFULL AT DATABASE STUFF. DOES NOT NEED ANY
: WORD OF PRAISE HERE. COMPARING VB's AND PARADOX's DATABASE HANDLING WILL
: SEEM LIKE A JOKE.

But indeed, that is what we are doing here.

Comparing VB and PDOXWIN as developement platforms is comparing apples to
oranges, or more specifically, cars to trucks.

: VB has good debugging tools as compared with Paradox 4.5 which is realy
: poor at this. But I hear that Paradox 5.0 has debugging tools that you
: would expect from a company like Borland.

PDW5 has full featured de* that goes beyond VB.

: VB can save code and description of the whole form in text format so you
: can open your *form* and code in any text editor or word processor and
: modify anything you want. Plus all of your code is at one place all the
: time. Paradox can't save in text format but you can ask for the code
: listing. Don't know about 5.0.

With shareware/freeware programs like Enumerator Pro and Source Browser,
I can edit entire form's code in a single editor, no switching.

: PARADOX IS TRULY COMPILED. VB IS INTERPRETTED. You can check any Paradox's
: delivered form, report or script in binary editor and it has standard exe
: heading "This application required Microsoft Windows". You can change the
: extension from FDL etc to EXE and it will run under Windows (although it
: won't do anything). I also remember that once I was playing with Paradox's
: resources using Borland's resource editor and I came accross a dialog box
: that was an EXE generator. It had questions like name of EXE file etc etc.
: It indicates that Paradox has the ability to generate stand alone EXE's
: even now but for some reason Borland does not want to loose money it makes
: on the runtime I guess.

No...  Those are actually DLL's with different extensions.  They still
need the Paradox Database Engine program elements to work.

: VB is very easily distributed. All you need is a VBRUNx00.DLL file which
: is free and is only 250-300k in size. Paradox requires a *huge* runtime
: and cost ~$500 to acquire (plus you have to wait for it).

Yes, but both are "unlimited run-time license".  FoxPro needs a run-time,
PDOXDOS needs a run-time, dBase needs a run-time (but there's Clipper).  

: VB has a convenient TabIndex property to set the tab stop order. Paradox
: 4.5 have to code for it. Don't know about 5.0

You can draw a box around things you want tabbed together.  Much easier
than coding.

: VB seems to have drap and drop in apps. Paradox 4.5 does not. Have to code
: for it which is *not* easy stuff. Don't know about v5.0.

If you are talking about OLE2, PDW5 has it to some extent.  OLE field now
supports OLE2, and Paradox tables can be embedded in other documents for
in-place editing.

--
==============================================================================

||   (the rest of this .sig is under construction...)                       ||
==============================================================================

 
 
 

My Comparison ** VB vs Paradox for WIN **

Post by Micah J. Bleech » Sat, 03 Sep 1994 17:18:14



Quote:>If you are talking about OLE2, PDW5 has it to some extent.  OLE field now
>supports OLE2, and Paradox tables can be embedded in other documents for
>in-place editing.

Actually, 5.0 has implemented OLE2 to a LARGE extent. In includes
insitu-editing of ole2 documents such as MS word 6. The morphing is 'way cool'
as they say. Also, tables embedded in OLE2 apps respect complete record
locking. Its kinda neat having a Paradox table on a network, embedded in a MS
Word 6 document, and when attempting to edit a record, it tells you that 'so
and so has it locked'.  

Amazingly, Borland has implemented OLE2 in Paradox, far more completely than
MS did in Access.  Check it out!
;==============================================
; Datacraft, Inc.
; Database Solutions for Today's Business
; Philadelphia - New York - Washington DC
; (609) 227-0202 (609) 374-1704 fax
;==============================================

 
 
 

1. Foxpro/Win vs. Paradox/Win

Someone mentioned to me the other day that Foxpro/win was out at the
moment, and I was wondering if someone had a rundown on the features?

I am in the market for either Paradox/win or Foxpro/win and I was
wondering which was the most competent product between the two of
them?  Currently I am struggling with Paradox 3.5... its hack after
hack.  Even getting Form-based queries into multiple tables moving
requires a less than pleasant solution.

So I am looking for a database package that has good support for
queries and reports, and is complete in its implementation, which is
more than I can say for Paradox 3.5.

Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated.

Rich
--

[=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=]

    Richard Orr                      "Take life Seriously not Personally"

    Voice:    (403)547-1203            ZyXEL V.32bis/V.42bis/FAX modem

[=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=]

2. Query Log

3. DBASE for WIN vs PARADOX for WIN

4. How to manage the versions of databases ?

5. Dos Paradox (4.0) vs Win Paradox 8 : Performance

6. SQL server stop responding.

7. Paradox-DOS vs. Paradox-WIN

8. MS SQL Server 6.0, Best TPC-C price/performance!

9. Paradox vs MS SQL, speed comparison wanted

10. Oracle vs PostgreSQL vs MySQL vs mSQL : COMPARISON

11. Access vs Approach vs Paradox vs FilePro vs Filemaker Pro

12. Paradox vs. Win Resolution

13. Gupta SQLWindows vs. Paradox/Win