OLE

Post by Ken Loom » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Is OLE the only way to access documents created by another
application, or is there someway to launch an application in Paradox
(maybe you can do it in 8)?

When I use OLE, an addition copy of the object is stored in a paradox
table, if I understand it correctly.  Thus if you edit the object you
will not affect the original and you will end up with 2 versions.  I
would rather launch the application and work on the original.  Is
there any way or version that does this?

Ken

OLE

Post by Simon Keef » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

If you are using something like Microsoft Office 97, you can attach to Word
using OLE Automation (using the oleauto datatype). Look at the commands for
the oleauto data type, and see if it supports anything you are after.

HTH

Simon Keefe

>Is OLE the only way to access documents created by another
>application, or is there someway to launch an application in Paradox
>(maybe you can do it in 8)?

>When I use OLE, an addition copy of the object is stored in a paradox
>table, if I understand it correctly.  Thus if you edit the object you
>will not affect the original and you will end up with 2 versions.  I
>would rather launch the application and work on the original.  Is
>there any way or version that does this?

>Ken

OLE

Post by Ken Loom » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>If you are using something like Microsoft Office 97, you can attach to Word
>using OLE Automation (using the oleauto datatype). Look at the commands for
>the oleauto data type, and see if it supports anything you are after.

As I understand it, in PDOWIN 4.5 I can only paste documents from a
Server into an Ole field.  In other words, I first have to leave
Paradox, go to the server application, open the document, copy it, go
back to Paradox, go into edit mode, and paste the document into the
Ole field.

I am wondering if there is a way in v.8 -  to access the file directly
from paradox in order to place it in the Ole field.  Also, would v8
allow me to open and edit the orginal doc, or do I need to edit a copy
of the doc as in v. 4.5?

Ken

1. Difference between OLE DB 8.0 and OLE DB

 What is the difference between OLE DB 8.0 Provider for OLAP Services and
OLE DB Provider for Olap Services in Excel?

 The whole story is:

I have two groups of computers, the ones that are in the same domain as the
server and the ones that are in a different domain. In a domain I can't see
computer names in other domains but I can ping them by IP.

When I publish the cubes via Excel using OLE DB 8.0 I can only access them
in computes with the OLE DB 8.0. But I can access the cubes from all
domains!

When I publish the cubes with OLD BD (not 8.0) I can only access the cubes
from computers in the same domain as the server because I cant set Data
source of Excel to http://<serverIP>> when crate the pivot table. I can only
put the server name (which I can't see from other domains) or the server
<IP> without http, which has no meaning outside his domain.

 Is there a way that I can install OLE BD 8.0 automatically in the firs use?

Does any one have an idea on how to access the cubes in different domain
without OLE DB 8.0?

2. Help with DBGrid ADO object

3. ole container vs ole object

4. I need reviews of the new windows databases please!

5. Linking or Embedding an OLE Object in an Access OLE DataType Field using DAO

6. stored procedures really faster?

7. OLE Field and OLE Control

8. jdbc-servlet?

9. moving objects from OLE control to OLE field in jet database

10. Using OLE Database field with an OLE Control

11. Insert OLE Control Content to OLE Data Type

12. ole container and access ole field