Paradox Runtime Doesn't Like Paradox DOS?

Paradox Runtime Doesn't Like Paradox DOS?

Post by Brian Peders » Sun, 28 May 1995 04:00:00

A client recently trying to install PDX WIN 4.5 Runtime encountered
a very strange problem.  His machine already had PDX DOS installed.
The runtime installed quite happily, but once he exited Windows, when
he went to restart Windows - his system was toast!  Windows loaded,
but all that he got was the background wallpaper and the mouse cursor.
Mouse click showed PgmMgr in the task list, but unable to switch to it!
Could do nothing except alt-F4 to exit.  An examination of system files,
ini's, etc showed nothing wrong.
I talked him through it over the phone, and we managed to recover by
commenting out all groups in the progman.ini file, and then one by one
uncommented them.  Each time windows successfully loaded including
program manager.  No other changes were made, and once the last
grp item was uncommented, the progman.ini was back to its original
state.  Windows came up normally.  Tried a re-install of PDX runtime,
and it gave the message that there were old versions of some of the
ODAPI files, so it replaced them (it should have done this the first time).

Anyone know if there's a (in)compatibility problem with PDX DOS and the
PDX WIN runtime?

--
Brian Pederson,  Eon Systems Corporation
PGP Fingerprint: 47 13 E0 49 C1 B8 02 82 95 4E B8 2C BD 20 81 70