P4W 5.0: Keyboard/Mouse Partial Lock-ups

P4W 5.0: Keyboard/Mouse Partial Lock-ups

Post by Tracy LaFle » Sun, 18 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I'm having a problem that might be a Windows problem.  Nevertheless,
the only time it manifests itself is when I'm working in Paradox 5.0.

At times (QUITE often, in fact), the mouse starts acting
unpredictably and various keys quit working.  Don't have any idea just
what the cause is.

I'll be in design mode, switching back and forth between several
different forms, selecting buttons and fields, etc., and opening and
closing methods.  All of the usual stuff.  Then, the mouse will
suddenly just quick selecting.  A left-click will, in all cases,
fail.  I have to right-click on some object, and then I'll get
LIMITED left-click capability.  Enough to enable me to close down
Paradox, then Windoze, then re-start both.  It's the only way to
regain mouse control.

During this time, CTRL-F4, ESC, and probably some other keys fail to
perform their intended functions.  It *LOOKS* like there's possibly a
bug in Paradox causing Win to not return to the correct mode.

Does any of this make sense?  Has anyone experienced this kind of
problem?  I'm doing a LOT of form/code editing, and it happens at
least every 15-20 minutes.

Setup last week was a 386/40 ISA, 16 MB, Diamond Stealth 24, Logitech
Trackman.  Changed out a few components and now have a 486/DX2-80 PCI,
32 MB, STB Velocity 64, and the same Logitech Trackman.  Still have DOS
6.2 and Win for Workgroups 3.11.  I'm not loading the mouse driver
from DOS, but am instead using the Win mouse driver.

Any help would really be appreciated!

Tracy

P4W 5.0: Keyboard/Mouse Partial Lock-ups

Post by T1mothe » Fri, 23 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm having a problem that might be a Windows problem.  Nevertheless,
>the only time it manifests itself is when I'm working in Paradox 5.0.
>At times (QUITE often, in fact), the mouse starts acting
>unpredictably and various keys quit working.  Don't have any idea just
>what the cause is.

When you are in and out of design mode a lot, windows fragments memory
thus  causing strange things.  Which it sounds like your having problems.
Two solutions:  1) exit windows every so often.  2)  purchase a memory
defagmentor.  Happens more often with large forms