I'm about to begin the design, coding and implementation of a PDX7 app on
a network (probably 150 users concurrently, specifically designed for this
app only), and am requesting any thoughts/experiences any of you might
have had in similar situations. I'm especially interested in pitfalls to
This is a complete re-design, so I'm able to use/avoid techniques,
architectures, designs, etc., without regard to re-coding questions.
Obviously, DB availability and response time is important, as is
Some prelim questions:
1) Is it better to increase the number of locks/unlocks/posts to the DB
by, e.g., doing an edit() in the arrive method for each field and an
endedit() in depart, OR do the data posting when a form closes?
2) Should I explicitly lock records, or let PDX handle it?
3) Are there any coding techniques to use/avoid that impact the
corruptibility/response of the app?
4) Any advice on the report memory leak?
5) The NOS has not been selected, but will probably be Novell or NT. Any
advice as to either, or problems with PDX7 under them?
6) Any recovery techniques to use/avoid?
7) Any settings (PDX, BDE, etc.) that are important from jump street,
e.g., block sizes?
Any tips, tricks, thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Basically, I'm asking "If you could do it again, how would you do it?"
If you'll E-Mail me directly as well as posting to the group, I'll
correlate everything and re-post a compilation of all suggestions, etc.
for everyone to use and review, and provide a running status of how they
work in actual practice.
Thanks in advance.