Network Suggestions???

Post by RCarmich » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I'm about to begin the design, coding and implementation of a PDX7 app on
a network (probably 150 users concurrently, specifically designed for this
app only), and am requesting any thoughts/experiences any of you might
have had in similar situations.  I'm especially interested in pitfalls to
avoid!

This is a complete re-design, so I'm able to use/avoid techniques,
architectures, designs, etc., without regard to re-coding questions.
Obviously, DB availability and response time is important, as is
reliability.

Some prelim questions:

1)  Is it better to increase the number of locks/unlocks/posts to the DB
by, e.g., doing an edit() in the arrive method for each field and an
endedit() in depart, OR do the data posting when a form closes?

2)  Should I explicitly lock records, or let PDX handle it?

3)  Are there any coding techniques to use/avoid that impact the
corruptibility/response of the app?

4)  Any advice on the report memory leak?

5)  The NOS has not been selected, but will probably be Novell or NT.  Any
advice as to either, or problems with PDX7 under them?

6)  Any recovery techniques to use/avoid?

7)  Any settings (PDX, BDE, etc.) that are important from jump street,
e.g., block sizes?

Any tips, tricks, thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Basically, I'm asking "If you could do it again, how would you do it?"

If you'll E-Mail me directly as well as posting to the group, I'll
correlate everything and re-post a compilation of all suggestions, etc.
for everyone to use and review, and provide a running status of how they
work in actual practice.

Thanks in advance.

Russ Carmichael

Network Suggestions???

Post by Paul Cochran » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm about to begin the design, coding and implementation of a PDX7 app on
> a network (probably 150 users concurrently, specifically designed for
this
> app only), and am requesting any thoughts/experiences any of you might
> have had in similar situations.  I'm especially interested in pitfalls to
> avoid!

> 4)  Any advice on the report memory leak?

This is what ruining my system at the moment. I'm currently trying to use
report smith to get around the problem but I havn't finished it yet.

Quote:> 5)  The NOS has not been selected, but will probably be Novell or NT.
Any
> advice as to either, or problems with PDX7 under them?

I have had no problems at all running on Novell 3.12 although I tend to
have <15
at a time.

Network Suggestions???

Post by Steven Gree » Sun, 29 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Russ: that's about 50 different threads that
you're trying to start in one message.. it might
seem annoying, but that really needs to be 50
different threads, or there will be no way for
anyone to follow what's going on.. IOW, please
as one question at a time..

--
Steve Green - Diamond software Group - Waldorf Maryland USA

and Corel's CTech tech support staffs but I don't represent
Borland International or Corel in any official capacity.

1. Network Suggestion - Newbie

I am working on a project where I need to store certain values in a scrap db
files. I am facing the following problem while using the same on a network.

1. Most of the time, such scrap is in use and I get the message that
scrap.db is locked.

This severally restrict the functionality of the programme. What is the best
way to store such value.?

How can I get the temporary path of all the user on a network. In such a
case, is it wise to create database for all the users in their temporary
directory.

- Natwar Lath

2. dts package stops running for no reason

3. Looking for networking suggestions PCs

4. Can't see autoinc on new record in DBGrid.

5. Suggestion on network packet size

6. Problem installing Personal Edition for WIndows 98

7. SQL Server on a Novell Network - Any suggestions

8. Connection Pooling problem

9. ListAvailableSQLServers, local network segment?, network-visible server?

10. : [DBMSSOCN]General network error. Check your network documentation

11. SQL Server access on Novell network without Client for MS Networks

12. network packet size on Wide area network

13. General network error. Check your network documentation