pdox 3.5 forms app was single user, now want to run concurrent users

pdox 3.5 forms app was single user, now want to run concurrent users

Post by Joe Faube » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Users of an old 3.5 pdox dos app want to now access the app concurrently from
two or three workstations. Very little pal code in the application except for a
complex report script. Most of the app is all forms, many of them multi-table
master-detail or master-n-detail.

Is it just a configuration issue and purchase of extra copies of paradox (have
to find them too), and users not accessing same data records in the same
table concurrently, or do I have to do programming to handle the record
locking so the app won't hang or kick users out or lock up due to hits on the
same data page / table / records.

The users will not be updating the same records, but do wish to add records to
the same tables using the same look-up tables and the same forms.

Any hints much appreciated, as I have not worked with paradox before in a
multi-user situation. In fact, have not used paradox since version 4.5, but
trying to help out a first client from about 8 years ago still using a system
I wrote back then when first starting out.

pdox 3.5 forms app was single user, now want to run concurrent users

Post by Bob Stub » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Howdy:

Unless they'll be running the 3.5 app on DOS machines (not win9X),
then you should probably upgrade to PdoxDOS 4.02.  You should be able
to pick up the program from www.emsps.com.

Check your program for coEdits, rather then edits.  And, if you're
sure they'll never be able to edit the same record at the same time,
try it out.  Data entry should work.  Test other things to see how
they'll work in multiuser.

If you do jump to 4.02, set it for "compatible" mode,
rebuild/convertLib any application libraries and look at your code for
any table restructures.

HTH.

Bob

Post by Steve Gree » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Users of an old 3.5 pdox dos app want to now access the app concurrently from
> two or three workstations. Very little pal code in the application except for a
> complex report script. Most of the app is all forms, many of them multi-table
> master-detail or master-n-detail.

Honestly, most apps that were not written as "multi-user" are built in a manner
that this is *not* a simple issue.. Edit Mode, DataEntry Mode, form locks, private
directories, etc..

In theory, if the app was written as a "multi-user" app, there's nothing to it at
all..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox