Crystal Reports and Pdox 4.5 Dos

Post by Caro » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 01:38:24

Has anyone had any experience with Crystal Reports and Paradox 4.5 Dos?
I am needing to box information on some pdox reports  and can't find a
way for Paradox to do this    If so, will it work from within a script?
Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Carol

Crystal Reports and Pdox 4.5 Dos

Post by Larry DiGiovann » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 02:05:22

You didn't provide a lot of detail, but you can sorta box information
on reports by placing various extended ASCII characters in strategic
locations within the report spec.  That report spec can be executed
from within a script.

--
Larry DiGiovanni
Digico, Inc

Quote:> Has anyone had any experience with Crystal Reports and Paradox 4.5

Post by Steve Urba » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:13:34

>Has anyone had any experience with Crystal Reports and Paradox 4.5 Dos?
>I am needing to box information on some pdox reports  and can't find a
>way for Paradox to do this    If so, will it work from within a script?
>Any other suggestions?

As in draw a box around some report data?
Just place the pieces of the box (you know hold Altkey and type ###)
on your report design or use a tool like APForm or write your own
script Or use Windows 9x to PASTE your box on the form and the place
the fields and text inside.
It take a little time to get the knack. You might also have to play
with the line spacing setting for your printer, but it can be done
<G>.

Steve U

Quote:

>Thank you in advance,

>Carol

Crystal Reports and Pdox 4.5 Dos

Post by Caro » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:00:09

Yes, I need a report for financial disclosures and to be in compliance with
the law I need to have the information boxed. I tried using AltKey + ### key
but Pdox just beeps at me.    Do I use a calculated field to put the altkey
### in?   Writing my own script -- do you mean writing this in Ascii?   What
is Apform and where do I find it?

Thanks,

Carol

> As in draw a box around some report data?
> Just place the pieces of the box (you know hold Altkey and type ###)
> on your report design or use a tool like APForm or write your own
> script Or use Windows 9x to PASTE your box on the form and the place
> the fields and text inside.
> It take a little time to get the knack. You might also have to play
> with the line spacing setting for your printer, but it can be done
> <G>.

> Steve U

> >Thank you in advance,

> >Carol

Crystal Reports and Pdox 4.5 Dos

Post by Caro » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:56:13

Ok, using AltKey 179 works like a charm.  Thank you.

> Yes, I need a report for financial disclosures and to be in compliance with
> the law I need to have the information boxed. I tried using AltKey + ### key
> but Pdox just beeps at me.    Do I use a calculated field to put the altkey
> ### in?   Writing my own script -- do you mean writing this in Ascii?   What
> is Apform and where do I find it?

> Thanks,

> Carol

> > As in draw a box around some report data?
> > Just place the pieces of the box (you know hold Altkey and type ###)

Crystal Reports and Pdox 4.5 Dos

Post by Caro » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 00:46:43

I'm sorry but I spoke too soon.  The AltKey 179 works great onscreen but
when printing it out it prints as a broken line not continuous.     I
also tried pasting but received an error message, unable to paste
graphics to a Dos program.   Can you give me more information on how to
write a script for a report?  I've always done my reports through the
report designer. Is there a reference book for the Pal language used to
create a report through script ?

Thank you,

Carol

Crystal Reports and Pdox 4.5 Dos

Post by Steve Urba » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 00:56:52

If its beeping, you might NOT be using the NUMBER PAD keys.
ALT and 169 on the numberpad places the top right corner char
when you let up the Alt key. you must always use 3 digits and
 you must always let up the alt key.

FWIW you can make boxes in the form designer and use WINDOWS Edit>Mark
to select the box. Then open a REPORT and use WINDOWS Edit->Paste to
Place the box in a TOTALY blank area (its an "Area" paste).
Now you can place your fields and touch up.

I forgetwhere I got APform, it might be FMS software. It helps moving
things around on reports, even allows you to "Borrow" pieces from
other Reports and move them into/out of group bands.

Steve U

Post by Steve Gree » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 01:24:43

> Can you give me more information on how to write a script for a report?
> I've always done my reports through the report designer. Is there a
> reference book for the Pal language used to create a report through script
> ?

ignore that whole line of thought.. it refers to creating a report from
scratch, using PRINT FILE to create the ascii file, instead of the report
generator..

--

Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

Crystal Reports and Pdox 4.5 Dos

Post by Steve Urba » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 01:20:02

Now thats weird. I just tested my instructions (before I sent them) on
W95 OSR2.5 (also works on original W95 SP1).
I use bitmaped fonts and I used the EDIT (right click) from the
"system menu", not any other menu.
Quick edit is OFF and Fast Paste os ON in paradoxes Properties.

A mini script
typein Fill("\179",6) gets you a bunch of bars.
You get the picture

In you printer setup strinf (Select custom) and tweek the existing,
only affects this report)
As to the broken line, you need to change the line SPACING
to 8lpi "\027&l8D"  < thats a lower case L the Number is lines per
inch.
"\027&l#C" is line spacing in 1/48 of an inch

Steve U

>I'm sorry but I spoke too soon.  The AltKey 179 works great onscreen but
>when printing it out it prints as a broken line not continuous.     I
>also tried pasting but received an error message, unable to paste
>graphics to a Dos program.   Can you give me more information on how to
>write a script for a report?  I've always done my reports through the
>report designer. Is there a reference book for the Pal language used to
>create a report through script ?

>Thank you,

>Carol

Crystal Reports and Pdox 4.5 Dos

Post by Steve Urba » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 01:25:08

Oops! I just assumed you had HP compatible printer when I wrote the
escape codes.

Epson is "\0270" for 8lpi
         "\0272" for 6lpi
         "\0273\###" for ###/216 inch

Steve U

Crystal Reports and Pdox 4.5 Dos

Post by Caro » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 01:56:28

Thanks so much!