Does Borland give a damn about bugs?

Post by Tom Garris » Fri, 05 Aug 1994 08:07:00

I bought Paradox for Windows a while back and found that it messes up with
certain queries on large tables, making it nearly useless to me. I sent them
a disk with a stripped down example of the problem so that they could fix
it or tell me about workarounds. I have heard absolutely
nothing from them, months and months later.

Has anyone out there done the same? What was the result? Do you think Borland
gives a damn about bugs and how they affect their customers? How about other
companies? (I already know, from experience, that Microsoft doesn't
give the tiniest little fraction of a portion of a little bit of a *y sample
of the barest hint of a promise of a shit. Someday I'll write about it in the
billg fan group.)

What makes this particularly annoying is that today Borland sent me an
invitation to upgrade. Funny how they're able to find my mailbox when they
want my money.

- Tom

Does Borland give a damn about bugs?

Post by Mika Julkun » Fri, 05 Aug 1994 19:17:32

says:

Quote:

>I bought Paradox for Windows a while back and found that it messes up with
>certain queries on large tables, making it nearly useless to me. I sent them
>a disk with a stripped down example of the problem so that they could fix
>it or tell me about workarounds. I have heard absolutely
>nothing from them, months and months later.
>Has anyone out there done the same? What was the result?

Well, I haven't contacted Borland straight but through a Borland sales and
support company here in Finland. I sent a disk full of stuff to the local
company which had sent the files to Borland in the States. I got a decent
reply from Borland (through the Finnish support co.) within two days.
It is my view that Borland's support is good compared to other software
companies' support.

        Terveisin :  Mika Julkunen, Tie-Data / Tielaitos
                     puh. (90) 1487 2276

Post by James Michael Spri » Fri, 05 Aug 1994 15:28:54

>: Has anyone out there done the same? What was the result? Do you think Borlan
>: gives a damn about bugs and how they affect their customers? How about other
>: companies? (I already know, from experience, that Microsoft doesn't

To the best of my knowledge, Borland does not take unsolicited faxes or
mail.  If you have something you think is a bug, the best thing to do is
to either call the install/config line listed in the documentation or
call Borlands tech fax service and request the CPR information.  I don't
know the TI numbers, but they should be in the index.  Basically, CPR is
a way of submitting a bug.

Just recently, Borland also released a list of bugs that were fixed in
a maintenance release that could be obtained for a mailing fee.  The list
was posted on Compuserve, and I don't have it but it was posted.

To get a fix/solution to a problem, you either have to use the the proper
bug submittal tools or call technical support.

La
-Jim

--

Undergrad Chemistry/Computer Eng| get me...down there...down there in the dark"

Post by Dave Yuh » Fri, 05 Aug 1994 11:53:43

: I bought Paradox for Windows a while back and found that it messes up with
: certain queries on large tables, making it nearly useless to me. I sent them
: a disk with a stripped down example of the problem so that they could fix
: it or tell me about workarounds. I have heard absolutely
: nothing from them, months and months later.

: Has anyone out there done the same? What was the result? Do you think Borland
: gives a damn about bugs and how they affect their customers? How about other
: companies? (I already know, from experience, that Microsoft doesn't

It's been my experience that the vast majority of software companies
won't even acknowledge specific bugs, let alone work with you to
eliminate them.  WordPerfect Corp is the notable exception, but I'm sure
that will change now that they've been gobbled up by Novell.

Have you tried writing to Phillipe, and asking him what's going on?
Couldn't hurt...
--
Dave Yuhas
Pacifica, CA

Does Borland give a damn about bugs?

Post by John H. LeBourgeo » Sat, 06 Aug 1994 06:18:27

 Compuserve is read everyday by the QA team, which then attempts to
replicate your bug. If it is replicatable, it then gets classified as to
priority and then assigned to an engineer to fix. If it is not a data
loss/critical bug.. it'll get fixed in the next . release. Everyone works
very closely and they are taken seriously. However some replication is
difficult to duplicate.

Does Borland give a damn about bugs?

Post by RobtSNov » Fri, 05 Aug 1994 22:47:06

writes:

Quote:>I bought Paradox for Windows a while back and found that it messes up
with
>certain queries on large tables, making it nearly useless to me. I sent
them
>a disk with a stripped down example of the problem so that they could fix
>it or tell me about workarounds. I have heard absolutely
>nothing from them, months and months later.

1.  Do you have the maintenance upgrade or the 12/8/93 or later program
dates - you need them.

2.  If they acknowledged the bug, it would then become known as a feature.

Good luck,

Rob

Does Borland give a damn about bugs?

Post by Joe Cotelless » Fri, 05 Aug 1994 23:42:28

Actually, I've had excellent experiences with Borland in the past.  Back in
PDOX/DOS 3.5 days, I encountered some bugs (I forget what).  Within a week,
they had them fixed (after I sent them samples), and sent me a new release
of PDOX 3.5 via OVERNIGHT FedEx!  \__/

More recently, I've had superb support via their CompuServe forums, both
for PDOX [WIN & DOS], and for C/C++ & Pascal.  Response is nearly always
1 day; never more than 2-3 days.  What's even better about the CompuServe
forums is that their 3rd-party developers/add-on vendors also help.  The
only downside is CompuServe's $9.60/hr connect-time charge for forum access.

Believe me, this is NOT a plug for CompuServe -- just a recitation of where
I've gotten decent support, including bug reporting/fixing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
... Joe Cotellessa =====> "We cannot comprehend [it], but we can
     (the elder)   =====>  comprehend its incomprehensibility."  ... I. Kant

Does Borland give a damn about bugs?

Post by Troy Rol » Tue, 09 Aug 1994 10:51:41

Quote:> It's been my experience that the vast majority of software companies
> won't even acknowledge specific bugs, let alone work with you to
> eliminate them.  WordPerfect Corp is the notable exception, but I'm sure
> that will change now that they've been gobbled up by Novell.

WordPerfect as an entity appears to have remained pretty much intact after
the Novell takeover, so I wouldn't expect much to change. the takeover in
that case looks more like a strategic alliance with monetary backing.

Quote:> Have you tried writing to Phillipe, and asking him what's going on?
> Couldn't hurt...

This will almost certainly not get through the front door. CEOs of
international companies are busy people, and a few thousand developers
sending mail asking about a bug in one of their many projects just
doesn't rate the full time attention it would cost the CEO.

If you want to find out about a specific bug, you should call customer
service. They should be able to give you some sort of answer. If the
person at the other end of the line refuses, ask to speak to their
supervisor. If that person refuses, ask to speak to their supervisor.
If you get to the supervisor's supervisor, the chances are that you'll
get some sort of response.

One thing when asking to speak to the supervisor - don't do it in such
a way that the person at the other end thinks you're trying to get
them in trouble, or you'll earn yourself a reputation as a troublemaker,
and will probably find that going up the chain of command becomes less
and less helpful rather than more and more. Just say something along the
lines of "This problem is critical to our business, may I speak to your
supervisor to see if they can offer further assistance."

My opinions are my own. Do you really think anybody else would want them?

Post by FrontM » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 11:33:04

Quote:Rollo) writes:

will probably find that going up the chain of command becomes less
and less helpful rather than more and more.

Or worse yet, you'll fall victim to the old IRS "trick" of just* up
on you -- most of the time you won't know who you were talking to, and you
have no way to confront them anyway -- so they just hang up.

Post by Peter Hy » Sat, 13 Aug 1994 11:13:52

 > > Have you tried writing to Phillipe, and asking him what's going on?
 > > Couldn't hurt...
 >
 > This will almost certainly not get through the front door. CEOs of
 > international companies are busy people, and a few thousand developers
 > sending mail asking about a bug in one of their many projects just
 > doesn't rate the full time attention it would cost the CEO.

Besides which, he's on a ski trip down this way at present, so I doubt the
mail would reach 'im.  ;-)

cheers,
peter

             Peter Hyde, South Pacific Information Services Ltd
          Christchurch, New Zealand -- last time I looked outside
         <<< Please use c.d.paradox for ALL relevant messages! >>>

1. BUGS BUGS BUGS (Disappointed with Borland!)

I have been working with Paradox since DOS version 3.5. Then came
along Paradox for Windows version 1.0. In my opionion, the version
5.0 is the flakiest yet. It has countless problems with the query
engine and the data model mechanism. Many wierd problems have been
solved just by moving the tables in the data model following no
logic (e.g. if a master table is linked to two, just change the
order of the detail tables--1st becomes 2nd and 2nd becomes 1st--
and the problem solved).

In our development team, we have something called bug of the day.

Reports also have problems. Lots of them.
Import has problems.
ObjectPAL sometimes does wierd things which are contrary to common
programming logic and you really have to scratch your head to find
out what's going on.

Anyway, version 5.0 was a fabulous upgrade with all the new tools, new
look and improved speed but it is also very BUG RICH. Dear Borland, when
are you going to release a major fix release.

What worries me is that soon the 32 bit version for Windows 95 will be
release and that will be a major rewrite as well (conversion from 16 bit
to 32 bit). And every upgrade, while fixing some old bugs, introduces
it's own--a lot!

--nasir

2. Packing Tables in PDOXWIN

3. Borland give us 32-bit PX ENGINE (DPMI)!!!

4. P8 Question for the Experts

5. Does Borland give a d

6. lock table & update cursors problems

7. Borland UK - can someone give me their address?

8. binary_checksum hash collision

9. Giving Error While Doing BULK INSERT

10. Could someone give me an idea about doing VB and Oracle

11. File sqlfront.h contains a bug according to Borland c++ 5.0B compiler

12. DELPHI 2.0 SQL PROBLEM - Borland Bug?

13. TQuery bug found, acknowledged by Borland