IDAPI configuration for multiple users...

IDAPI configuration for multiple users...

Post by D.J.Hornb » Fri, 05 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I am developing a database in PDOX 5 for windows on a network and am
trying to configure it for simultaneous users.

I have done everything I am supposed to do (configuring the IDAPI,
pointing to the same PDOXUSRS.NET file) but whenever I try to load
Paradox and another user is using it I get the following message:

COULD NOT INITIALISE IDAPI.:DIRECTORY IS LOCKED

Can anyone tell me why this is so?

Thanks in advance, David Hornby

IDAPI configuration for multiple users...

Post by Kasey Chang (fix address before replying to m » Sat, 06 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>me!)) writes:
>>On Thu, 04 Sep 1997 17:40:29 -0700, "D.J.Hornby"

>>>I am developing a database in PDOX 5 for windows on a network and am
>>>trying to configure it for simultaneous users.
>>>I have done everything I am supposed to do (configuring the IDAPI,
>>>pointing to the same PDOXUSRS.NET file) but whenever I try to load
>>>Paradox and another user is using it I get the following message:
>>>COULD NOT INITIALISE IDAPI.:DIRECTORY IS LOCKED
>>>Can anyone tell me why this is so?
>>That tells me that your config is still wrong...
>>They not only need to point to the same PDOXUSR.NET, but they MUST USE
>>THE SAME PATH, EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER!
>>This can be a pain on peer-to-peer networks, where the "host" computer
>>often do NOT do this.
>When you say "same", they aren't each pointing to a *local* drive, are
>they? (eg. c:\pdox\users.)

No, the network control directory is SHARED. The PRIVATE directory is
local.

IDAPI configuration for multiple users...

Post by TimeOilM » Sat, 06 Sep 1997 04:00:00

The comments on the need for identical mappings to the netfile directory
are correct, but it sounds to me like you have another problem. You need to
make sure that none of the users point their private directories at either
the Netfile directory, the directory where the data tables are, or probably
the idapi directory. Usually I see this when a user has pointed a private
directory at a data directory, allowing no one but the origianl user to
open the directory. Also make sure there are no *.lck files* around
from previous botched attempts to start up. So kick all the users off,
delete any *.lck files you find, check the private directories, and try again.

Brad Miller

IDAPI configuration for multiple users...

Post by fabi » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am developing a database in PDOX 5 for windows on a network and am
> trying to configure it for simultaneous users.

> I have done everything I am supposed to do (configuring the IDAPI,
> pointing to the same PDOXUSRS.NET file) but whenever I try to load
> Paradox and another user is using it I get the following message:

> COULD NOT INITIALISE IDAPI.:DIRECTORY IS LOCKED

> Can anyone tell me why this is so?

> Thanks in advance, David Hornby

Hi :)
I'm not sure but look if there'snot files *.LCK in yours data 's directory

IDAPI configuration for multiple users...

Post by Timothy J. Marcinia » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I've gotten this error when the there isn't enough space an the private
directory. I've had to free up as much as a meg. This might hold true for
the working directory as well.

Quote:> I am developing a database in PDOX 5 for windows on a network and am
> trying to configure it for simultaneous users.

> I have done everything I am supposed to do (configuring the IDAPI,
> pointing to the same PDOXUSRS.NET file) but whenever I try to load
> Paradox and another user is using it I get the following message:

> COULD NOT INITIALISE IDAPI.:DIRECTORY IS LOCKED

> Can anyone tell me why this is so?

> Thanks in advance, David Hornby

1. BUGS idapi BUGS idapi BUGS idapi BUGS

Following is the test query

tableName | field Name             |
          | CHECK as TO someName   |

Start your Paradox for Windows. Choose Help|About. Press I. Internal
build will be displayed. Then there will be words "lego:" followed
by a date. If that date is from 1994, you are OK. But if you installed
Delphi or latest release of Novel Office or Quatro Pro, that date
might be from 1995. That's the version of IDAPI the BUG is in. Here
is how it goes...

In above query we have used word "TO". It is not a key word. I called
Borland's Tech Support line paying $2/min and they confirmed it's not.

Above query works fine. But if your "lego" date (i.e. IDAPI build) meets
above criteria, you will get an error message saying "AS must be followed
by a name of field in the ANSWER table". Whether you some thing after
TO or not, DOES NOT MATTER.

Called Borland many times about it but the guys there wouldn't believe
me as it works on any copy of Paradox. Finally I asked them to try it
on a machine which had DELPHI installed on it after Paradox and thus
had a "lego:" date of Feb/95. It was confirmed and registered.

regards,
--nasir

2. lock record

3. Idapi configuration.

4. Multiple Instances of an SQL command

5. Problems with Ingres and BDE configuration - idapi.cfg (1/1)

6. Tables référence

7. Problems with Ingres and BDE configuration - idapi.cfg (0/1)

8. How do you install VDI on SQL 2000

9. IDAPI Configuration Reference

10. Lotus Notes ODBC and BDE IDAPI Configuration

11. IDAPI Configuration Reference

12. IDAPI configuration and record locking

13. Idapi configuration error