Help! Secondary Index!

Post by Michael S. Hoeni » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have a database that is 22 megabytes in size... The table contains 55
fields. From our production side running on Novell, the speed is just
fine. But we have just installed a digital 56k line from one office to
our Production office and are running into speed problems. To search a
database that contains 10,000 records in the table could take hours... I
have researched the Paradox manuals to find out how to create secondary
indexes, and have figured out how to create them... Problem is, I cannot
figure out how to *read* them back in.. Borland's Paradox manuals are
very sketchy and do not give examples on searching 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th
- secondary index tables.

For instance, I would like to have a secondary index based on field #45,
and then only search on that index. I know that you have to open the
table on #45 (opening #0 would be the primary) and then search on it.
But what I find is that the speed is no different than if I had only a
primary index - plus, using CLOSESTRECORD and SEARCHNEXT do not appear
to work... No data appears in the fields when a search is done.

What am I doing wrong? Does anyone know of any sites where I can get
some Paradox instructions on this? It is DOS 6.22, using Paradox 3.0
with Turbo Pascal (BP) 7.0 for DOS and WINDOWS. This is a DOS
environment. If you need examples of source code that I've written so
far, please ask...

Thanks!

M. Hoenie
http://www.bonnevilletitle.com
http://www.inquo.com/~mhoenie

1. Help, Secondary Index problem...

Hi,

Using D4 C/S P3, Paradox Tables BDE 5.10 Update.

Also using NT4.0 SP5

I'm having a problem with secondary indexes I created. I created them
with the Database Desktop and if I view the indexes on the local
drive, I can see they exist.

If I copy the entire folder to another Logical drive in my PC Database
Desktop can still see the secondary indexes.

If I copy the entire folder to a network drive, Database Desktop
cannot no longer see the secondary indexes.

Does anyone know why?

Note: I have copied the entire contents of the directory that contains
all the tables and index files

Many Thanks,

Robbie...

2. AP/PRO and SCO/Unix advice request.

3. Please help on secondary index

4. sql 6.5 faster than 2000???? Stored proc woes

5. Creating Secondary Indexes at Runtime, Help...

6. Search Query / Performance Problem

7. DESPERATELY NEED HELP WITH SECONDARY INDEXES AND CHILD DATABASES

8. Sybase problem with ADO

9. Help! Sorting Detail Table by secondary Index

10. help for secondary index for reports

11. Please help with secondary index problem

12. Help - Pdox 7 can't see secondary indexes

13. need help alphabetizing w/secondary index ?