4.5 & Novell lock-ups

Post by Kevin F. We » Fri, 08 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I recall some discussion a few months ago about PDOX locking problems on
Novell, but failed to note the specifics and the fix. I am experiencing
random, phantom, unexpected conditions & table corruptions running a PDOX
app, 4.5, through Windows on a Novell lan. My focus up to this point has
been an accusing finger pointed at Mr. Gates product, and in some instances
it has been warranted, but I have a nagging suspicion it might be coming from
somewhere else.

Any suggestions, help, comments, would be appreciated.
TIA-->KFW

4.5 & Novell lock-ups

Post by Steve Gree » Mon, 11 Sep 1995 04:00:00

We need some clues to work with.. if you are not
already doing so, start Pdox with -diag on the
command line.. this will make an ascii file called
pdoxinfo.zzz in the private directory.. that will
leave, among other things, the exact error message
and the line of code it bombed on.. now we'll have
some context to work with..

--
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group - Waldorf, MD, USA
71543,2577 Compuserve - TBMG62A Prodigy - I am a member

4.5 & Novell lock-ups

Post by Mike Web » Fri, 15 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Are you talkinh pdox for dos?

If so I suspect that there is a strayt lock on the NET file that is not
being released when a user (in a window) switches from pdox to other app.
To avoid this try setting up a PIF that allows execution in background as
the pdox app will then be able to release the lock and the implied logjam
for other users.

I have quite possibly missed the point of your problem however.

Mike

1. Paradox 4.5 Dos - Multi User Lock ups

I have a very Strange Problem.  It seems as though, when a user shells
to dos using the Big Dos version, while locked in a record, that alot of
strange things can happen.

Upon returning from the dos shell, the novell server still shows the
record as locked.  Also everyone who is using paradox at the moment will
also be locked out of whatever they were doing.

I have about 20 stations running a paradox program in a telemarketing
environment.  One of the tasks they perfrom requires running another
program from dos.  For the most part it works fine.  But every now and then
it will lock up everyone who is currently using the program.

Help, nobody has been able to figure this one out yet.

btw- we are using novell 3.11 and 3.12 servers in a multi server environment
with about 10 servers total.  All stations running under dos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanxs
Brian

2. grant under SQL92

3. PdoxDOS 4.5 & Novell 3.12

4. SQL Server 7 - fixed width column export

5. PARADOX 4.5 & NOVELL 3.11

6. Backup - Microsoft Tape Format (MTF) Error

7. Determining which index to create

8. Locking records with D2 & Novell Netware

9. Pdoxwin 4.5/Win95 and Novell 3.12

10. Paradox 4.5 DOS and Novell Network Question

11. Paradox 4.5 and Novell 3.11 client problems