PXWIN->Sybase: Slow Performance

Post by Erik Pearso » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

We have been using Paradox for a long time now, and are trying to
"upsize" much of our current system to Sybase SQL Server 10, while
maintaining PdxWin as the front end. The good news is that it basically
works. The bad news...

There sometimes are very long (~3") delays between certain operations
involving forms that are linked to Sybase tables. The forms will work
fine for moving through rows and editing data. However, we get these
long delays when (a) locating a record through the built-in "zoom", (b)
switching from view<-->design, (c) sometimes saving data will take a long
time. The problems are not very consistent, except for the long delay in
locating records. In fact, the locate does not always work either. The
locate problem is not found on a straight table view, although the save
problem sometimes is. Queries work great.

Does anyone have any experience with such problems? We are using PdxWin
5.0, SQL Links 2.0, Sybase SQL Server 10 (on Sun LX), and the latest
IDAPI driver. I have heard of at least one ODBC driver that works much
better than the "native" IDAPI driver -- anyone else?

Thanks in advance,

Erik Pearson
UC Berkeley

PXWIN->Sybase: Slow Performance

Post by Erik A. Pearso » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

Chris,

> Hi, Erick

>    I am sorry that my reply is not for an answer but
> asking for help.

>    I installed my Sybase server 10 on a standalone machine
> (runing NT)
>    and try to use SQL link 2.0 and IDAPI (BDE) to do some-work
>    but the problem is even the demo from BDE dbping is not
>    functioning right. Create error message like: SQL server is
>    unavailable.

>    Any trick to setup SQL link 2.0 and IDAPI?

Did you install the Sybase Windows Client drivers?  You have to install
the client software from Sybase (Net-Lib and Db-Lib) in order for the SQL
Link driver to talk to the SQL Server.

  Pdox <--> IDAPI <--> SQL Link <--> SQL Sybase Driver <--> Sybase Driver
<-- over network --> SQL Server

The Sybase client software knows how to talk to the SQL Server, and has
its own "dbping" application. The client software does not come with SQL
Server, it is a separate product. Note however that when you install the
client software, you need to use the older Sybase drivers, which work
with system 10. SQL Link 2.0 does not support the newer system 10 sybase
drivers. When installing the client software, make sure to follow the
directions carefully, esp. regarding keeping the Sybase drivers in the
DOS search path.

Hope this helps.

1. >>>SYBASE/UNIX ENIGNEERS WANTED>>>>Bay Area, CA.

TCN Needs SEVERAL Software Engineers until the end of the year plus
probable extensions

Responsibilities: Our Client is rebuilding their entire automated test
environment for their RDBMS software product.  You will be developing
test software for the QA Dept.  You will be looking at statements
regarding specific functions of the database and coding automated test
scripts that will be used be the Quality Assurance Department for
testing.  THIS IS A CHALLENGING, HIGHLY VISIBLE PROJECT!!!!

Required: SYBASE, SQL, C, SHELL SCRIPT OR PERL OR LISP, UNIX, Excellent
English Language skills, knowledge of testing methodologies.

Desired: SunOS, SOLARIS, TCL, TET, Test Script Development, DBA
Experience

Location: Bay Area, California (near Oakland/Berkeley)

Start date is JULY 10th  and THE CLIENT IS INTERVIEWING NOW!!!!

We will work with Independent Incorporated Contractors OR W2's

Please respond immediately to:
Ilene Blender
TCN
1020 Marsh Road, Suite 110
Menlo Park, CA 94025
(415) 324-3222 x-251
(415) 324-2922 fax

**Please note there are NO ENTRY LEVEL OPENINGS!  You must have at
least a minimum of 5 years of paid computer industry experience!

2. Paradox for Windows printing problem

3. >>>>>>UNIX/SYBASE ENGINEERS WANTED>>>>>> Bay Area, CA

4. 4 digit year in the database

5. >>>>Sybase consulting?

6. Sorry : little test

7. <<<RDBMS/UNIX/SYBASE ENGINEERS WANTED>>>>Oakland, CA

8. DC-Washington-266380--UNIX-C++-ORACLE-Javascript-Java-CORBA-Unix/C++ Developer

9. Sybase JConnect JDBC Performance on Stored Procs - SLOW!

10. SYBASE hard disk setup and slow performance

11. >>>Toronto - Uniface/Sybase Developer - Permanent