Pdox RUN BIG speed - was DOS PAL 4.0 file Delete

Pdox RUN BIG speed - was DOS PAL 4.0 file Delete

Post by Dean Bow » Sat, 18 Dec 1993 23:00:42

As someone else pointed out, RUN can be slow, and RUN BIG is slower since
more of memory is cleared for the shell.  Using the NOREFRESH option
(ie: RUN NOREFRESH "DEL "+blah ) will eliminate an annoying screen flicker
and may slightly improve speed.  Basically, RUN is the way to go if you
must do this and you should look up all the possible options in a PAL
reference to see what  will suit you best.

As a sidenote on speed, if you are going to be making several deletions
at once, and will always be deleting the same files, using RUN to execute
a batch file will improve performance by reducing the number of times a
new COMMAND shell must be loaded.

Hope it helps...

Karl Brophey                                    | Tellus Consultants, Inc.

But does the speed of RUN BIG as opposed to simply RUN make a difference if
the user has 16 MB of RAM?  I tend to think that the speed of RUN as
opposed to RUN BIG would only matter if the user was using a low RAM
configuration.  Is this so?  In my case:  486/66 Mhz VLB w/16 MB RAM and
256 Kb cache, I don't notice any speed enhancements using RUN as opposed to
RUN BIG.

Still hacking ...

Post by Nasir Ahmed No » Sun, 19 Dec 1993 06:58:08

>In my case:  486/66 Mhz VLB w/16 MB RAM and 256 Kb cache, I don't notice
>any speed enhancements using RUN as opposed to RUN BIG.

Without getting into debate of which is faster....
You will probably *NEVER* notice anything on such fast machine. But its
nice to have an idea of what real users have out there. Processing slowing
by about 100 ms on your machine will never be noticed by a human but it
may translate to, say, 2 seconds on a 386-20 with 2MB RAM.

--nasir

p.s. try writing your own little benchmarking program using TICKS() to
     carry out comparisons. Make sure to run every test twice. Helps me
     lot whenever I am faced with a choice of different ways to do a
     particular thing.

1. DOS PAL 4.0 file delete

There is a way, but it's pretty slow.  You can use the run command
to execute any DOS program.  For example, RUN "DEL MY.TXT" will
shell out to DOS and delete the file named MY.TXT.

There are probably faster ways, but this one works.

Keith

2. Primary Key identity range problem

3. pdox 4.0(dos) - PAL vs OPAL

4. Update or Append if not exists

5. Pdox 4.0/DOS PAL Dialog Question

6. SQL Server DBA needed - CA 818 Sherman Oaks

7. pdox(dos)4.0 - Deleting table

8. Delete a DOS-file with PAL

9. How to delete normal DOS/Files via PAL

10. pdox 4.0(dos) - Running script in Win95

11. pdox 4.0(dos) - Running pdoxrun in Login script