Paradox 4.5 Dos - Multi User Lock ups

Post by Brian Wh » Wed, 22 Mar 1995 04:15:30

I have a very Strange Problem.  It seems as though, when a user shells
to dos using the Big Dos version, while locked in a record, that alot of
strange things can happen.

Upon returning from the dos shell, the novell server still shows the
record as locked.  Also everyone who is using paradox at the moment will
also be locked out of whatever they were doing.

I have about 20 stations running a paradox program in a telemarketing
environment.  One of the tasks they perfrom requires running another
program from dos.  For the most part it works fine.  But every now and then
it will lock up everyone who is currently using the program.

Help, nobody has been able to figure this one out yet.

btw- we are using novell 3.11 and 3.12 servers in a multi server environment
with about 10 servers total.  All stations running under dos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanxs
Brian

Post by Kuo-Sheng (Kas » Fri, 24 Mar 1995 14:50:01

: >I have a very Strange Problem.  It seems as though, when a user shells
: >to dos using the Big Dos version, while locked in a record, that alot of
: >strange things can happen.

: >Upon returning from the dos shell, the novell server still shows the
: >record as locked.  Also everyone who is using paradox at the moment will
: >also be locked out of whatever they were doing.

: >I have about 20 stations running a paradox program in a telemarketing
: >environment.  One of the tasks they perfrom requires running another
: >program from dos.  For the most part it works fine.  But every now and then
: >it will lock up everyone who is currently using the program.

: >Help, nobody has been able to figure this one out yet.

: >btw- we are using novell 3.11 and 3.12 servers in a multi server environment
: >with about 10 servers total.  All stations running under dos.

: Are you loading any TSR's while shelled out of Paradox.  A TSR will load
: into memory where ever it can squeeze in.  Paradox parses to memory (when
: shelling) in a specific order.  If this order is interrupted, this could
: cause instability.  Also, how much base memory is available once Paradox is
: loaded?  Are you using the command line parameters -norealheap?  This will
: tell Paradox to give back some of the base memory once it is loaded
: (Actually, it re-allocates some base memory for DOS shell functions).

This is absolutely correct.  Most people do not realize that the DOS
PRINT command is a TSR!  I've solved a network problem once by replacing
the PRINT command with a dummy batch file.  Stations are losing
connections occasionally and the substitution works great.

--
+==========================================================================+

| Pretty good Paradox for Windows Programmer                               |
| Self-proclaimed Treknologist                                             |
| Editor XCOM: Unofficial Strategy Guide http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~kschang  |
+==========================================================================+

Post by Ron Wheald » Fri, 24 Mar 1995 03:54:11

>Subject: Paradox 4.5 Dos - Multi User Lock ups
>Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 19:15:30 GMT
>I have a very Strange Problem.  It seems as though, when a user shells
>to dos using the Big Dos version, while locked in a record, that alot of
>strange things can happen.
>Upon returning from the dos shell, the novell server still shows the
>record as locked.  Also everyone who is using paradox at the moment will
>also be locked out of whatever they were doing.
>I have about 20 stations running a paradox program in a telemarketing
>environment.  One of the tasks they perfrom requires running another
>program from dos.  For the most part it works fine.  But every now and then
>it will lock up everyone who is currently using the program.
>Help, nobody has been able to figure this one out yet.
>btw- we are using novell 3.11 and 3.12 servers in a multi server environment
>with about 10 servers total.  All stations running under dos.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanxs
>Brian

Are you loading any TSR's while shelled out of Paradox.  A TSR will load
into memory where ever it can squeeze in.  Paradox parses to memory (when
shelling) in a specific order.  If this order is interrupted, this could
cause instability.  Also, how much base memory is available once Paradox is
loaded?  Are you using the command line parameters -norealheap?  This will
tell Paradox to give back some of the base memory once it is loaded
(Actually, it re-allocates some base memory for DOS shell functions).

Hope this helps

1. Paradox DOS 4.5 directory lock

Dies ist eine kryptographisch unterzeichnete Nachricht im MIME-Format.

--------------msEBB95BC33013C45E6C235ADB

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------C3E60414F68AEBFC17D087A3

<HTML>
Hello,

<P>I was asking myself if there is a possibility to set the Paradox DOS
4.5 directory lock
<BR>via the BDE (2.52+).

<P>This nice little feature saved my users a lot of waiting time.

<P>Thx,
<BR>Thomas Minor
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------C3E60414F68AEBFC17D087A3

begin:          vcard
fn:             Thomas Minor
n:              Minor;Thomas
org:            Dr. Materna GmbH

x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
end:            vcard

--------------C3E60414F68AEBFC17D087A3--

--------------msEBB95BC33013C45E6C235ADB

<encoded_portion_removed>
fPxJfjUaPnm8
--------------msEBB95BC33013C45E6C235ADB--

2. DB Lib and VC++ .net

3. lock files in Paradox 4.5 for DOS

4. Filter form based on table...?

5. 4.5 & Novell lock-ups

6. Backward-scrolling cursor in Oracle

7. IMPORT PARADOX FOR DOS V 4.5 INTO PDOXWIN 4.5

8. Random Db Connection Failure

9. HELP! - DOS GP errors-Paradox 4.5 for DOS

10. Paradox 4.5 for DOS and Windows 95 DOS 7.x

11. GPF 11d4 at Paradox:68:02c4 Paradox DOS ver 4.5

12. Converting, Importing, or Updating Paradox 4.5 for DOS Scripts to Paradox 5 for Win

13. Paradox DOS 4.0/4.5 to Paradox for Windows