Paradox Engine 3.0 and Windows 95

Post by Chris Gr » Tue, 14 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Help!!

Every time I compile one of the examples provided and run it, I get a GPF error
box.  I am using Windows 95 OSR2, and Borland C++ 4.51.  Am I doing something
wrong?  Both Windows and Dos examples do the same thing.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Paradox Engine 3.0 and Windows 95

Post by Per Rasmusse » Tue, 14 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Help!!

>Every time I compile one of the examples provided and run it, I get a GPF
error
>box.  I am using Windows 95 OSR2, and Borland C++ 4.51.  Am I doing
something
>wrong?  Both Windows and Dos examples do the same thing.

>Any help at all would be appreciated.

I have had the same problem. do you use any other programs theres using
Idapi 3.0. ? If you are uninstall them, and install them after you have
reinstalled paradox. I worked for me, try it.
p.s. Im using Word Perfect Suite 8, Quarto Pro was the problem it wrote
over some of the config IDAPI files.
I hope you get it working.

Post by Steve Gree » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Every time I compile one of the examples provided and run it, I get a
> GPF error
> box.  I am using Windows 95 OSR2, and Borland C++ 4.51.  Am I doing
> something
> wrong?  Both Windows and Dos examples do the same thing.

The old Paradox Engine is supported by Borland, on their newsgroups..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

1. Paradox Engine, Windows 95, Novell Netware -- WORKAROUND

I repeat this reply to others under this heading as several users
seem to be reporting problems in this environment.

I have had problems in developing a 16 bit Windows App using
VC++/MFC and Paradox Engine V2.0.  Besides problem I'm replying
to here, other people have been reporting problems in particular
with the combination Windows95+Netware+Paradox/Paradox Engine.

The first step in resolving my problems was to take hint from TI*.ZIP
files on Borland ftp site -- INCREASE stack to 20k+ (although this advice
was given to the later BDE, I felt it might improve things with my
problems).

After this change, testing on my peer to peer network consisting of
two Win95 Pentiums and one WFW 3.11 486 Notebook was OK.

BUT AT Client's WIN95 PC's on Novell -- NO GOOD!!  (WFW3.11 on netware
seemed to be OK, but as soon as Win95 got into picture ...)

AS A WORKAOUND, I have taken the step of having a lock/flag file as
follows:

        while wait time < 3 secs
                if filename.L$$ doesn't exist
                        create filename.L$$
                        break loop with success

        if timeout on loop error message and exit procedure

        carry out the following types of PXEngine activities:

                Unlock Rec
                Lock Rec
                Add Rec
                Del Rec
                Update Rec

        when finished PXEngine activities delete filename.L$$

Effectively the workaround prevents simultaneous access to the
PARADOX.LCK and filename.LCK files -- in testing that just simple
concurrent Lock/Unlock operations on several workstations was enough
to result in hangups.

This workaround is OK for say 10's of users.  For 100's of users I believe
that a system should be designed on a "one writer, many readers basis".
i.e. have a server process running on one PC that does all the actually
updating of the database, and clients send requests to it via network.
This guarantees that all writes, lock requests, ... will be processed
sequentially because they end up as a message queue to the server process.

2. paradox7 tables-creating secondary index without primary

3. Paradox for windows 7 running slow in windows 95 with data on NT 4.0 Server

4. Help with large Updates/Locks

5. Paradox for Windows 5.0 Stability under Windows 95?

6. Where could i find a useful Foxpro website?

7. paradox 7 for Windows 95 and Windows NT - nothing but problems

8. Viewpoint & ODBC

9. Paradox 1.0 (for Windows) in Windows 95

10. VB5 + MS Access 95 causes Paradox Engine error

11. SE engine question on Windows 95

12. Btrieve Engine 6.15 für DOS, Windows, OS/2 oder Win NT/95

13. Windows 95 B, Setup Wizard Issues Setup.EXE on Windows 95 A