1. Paradox Engine, Windows 95, Novell Netware -- WORKAROUND
I repeat this reply to others under this heading as several users
seem to be reporting problems in this environment.
I have had problems in developing a 16 bit Windows App using
VC++/MFC and Paradox Engine V2.0. Besides problem I'm replying
to here, other people have been reporting problems in particular
with the combination Windows95+Netware+Paradox/Paradox Engine.
The first step in resolving my problems was to take hint from TI*.ZIP
files on Borland ftp site -- INCREASE stack to 20k+ (although this advice
was given to the later BDE, I felt it might improve things with my
After this change, testing on my peer to peer network consisting of
two Win95 Pentiums and one WFW 3.11 486 Notebook was OK.
BUT AT Client's WIN95 PC's on Novell -- NO GOOD!! (WFW3.11 on netware
seemed to be OK, but as soon as Win95 got into picture ...)
AS A WORKAOUND, I have taken the step of having a lock/flag file as
while wait time < 3 secs
if filename.L$$ doesn't exist
break loop with success
if timeout on loop error message and exit procedure
carry out the following types of PXEngine activities:
when finished PXEngine activities delete filename.L$$
Effectively the workaround prevents simultaneous access to the
PARADOX.LCK and filename.LCK files -- in testing that just simple
concurrent Lock/Unlock operations on several workstations was enough
to result in hangups.
This workaround is OK for say 10's of users. For 100's of users I believe
that a system should be designed on a "one writer, many readers basis".
i.e. have a server process running on one PC that does all the actually
updating of the database, and clients send requests to it via network.
This guarantees that all writes, lock requests, ... will be processed
sequentially because they end up as a message queue to the server process.
2. paradox7 tables-creating secondary index without primary
3. Paradox for windows 7 running slow in windows 95 with data on NT 4.0 Server
4. Help with large Updates/Locks
5. Paradox for Windows 5.0 Stability under Windows 95?
6. Where could i find a useful Foxpro website?
7. paradox 7 for Windows 95 and Windows NT - nothing but problems
8. Viewpoint & ODBC
9. Paradox 1.0 (for Windows) in Windows 95
10. VB5 + MS Access 95 causes Paradox Engine error
11. SE engine question on Windows 95
12. Btrieve Engine 6.15 für DOS, Windows, OS/2 oder Win NT/95
13. Windows 95 B, Setup Wizard Issues Setup.EXE on Windows 95 A