Paradox and System Performance

Post by John Kol » Sat, 16 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I'm presently looking at applications in which to develop a simple customer service database
for our site.  MS Access runs like a dog, and in any case is so large that users with 8Mb of
RAM can't have Access minimised and do much else without memory problems.

How does Paradox stack up against Access for use of system memory while minimised?  How about
for speed, especially in data entry via forms?

Many thanks!

Post by Kuo-Sheng (Kas » Mon, 18 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: I'm presently looking at applications in which to develop a simple
: customer service database : for our site.  MS Access runs like a dog, and
: in any case is so large that users with 8Mb of : RAM can't have Access
: minimised and do much else without memory problems.

: How does Paradox stack up against Access for use of system memory while
: minimised?  How about : for speed, especially in data entry via forms?

About the same, IMHO. Actually PDOXWIN uses a little MORE memory due to
IDAPI buffer settings.  On the other hand, Connectix's RamDoubler for
Windows may be able to help you there, if you're just running out of
resources. If you actually mean "it's very slow since it's using virtual
memory", then you really need 16 megs.

Kasey K. S. Chang (a guy)             | Paradox for Windows Programmer

URL> http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~kschang | X-COM Guru   General PC expert
--------------------------------------+----------------------------------
Editor of XCOM and XCOM2 UN-official Strategy Guide -- FREE!  (See URL)

Paradox and System Performance

Post by Steve Gree » Wed, 20 Sep 1995 04:00:00

In general, *any* heavy-duty database is a hog with
system resources.. Pdox is much faster and much
more versitile than Access, but you still don't
want to depend on how the system will run with the
database minimized..

--
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group - Waldorf, MD, USA
71543,2577 Compuserve - TBMG62A Prodigy - I am a member

1. Thanks for responses on System Performance - it is update performance

Thanks for responses.  Have not had time to try your recommendations, but
will try early next week.

It is update performance that is the major problem after adding the
additional index.  It is not that I added the 6th index - it appears
that others have capability to add indexes and now there are 11 indexes.

As someone else on the list suggested, I had already gotten rid of the
indexes that had duplicate beginning variables, before asking for help.
But it seems that the person that designed this table, thought the only
way to search for specific fields (or order by) in an .ace report was to
add additional indexes.

Looks like I need to look at who's adding the additional indexes and
why, then take on the power of 4gl to write reports instead of using
ace.

Thanks again for the help, will let you all know if I am able to
get things to performing right.

cheryl g.

2. Error 21072

3. How is the performance difference between a nonclustered system and a clustered system

4. Question on Paradox 10 Runtime

5. performance question.... (dev system versus prod system)

6. OLE DB Provider for Oracle

7. System 10 vs System 11 in performance

8. Input Masking

9. Dos Paradox (4.0) vs Win Paradox 8 : Performance

10. SQL Server Performance Problem - Good query performance, bad update performance

11. Performance paradox - Analysis Services

12. Help! Performance paradox - Analysis Services

13. Paradox vs. Codebase performance