PdoxDos & >2.gb Drives

Post by JMiles14 » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

 I have "heard" that there are problems with using PdoxDos (4.5) with
drives larger than 2 gb. Does anyone know anything specific about this or
have I "heard" wrong.

PdoxDos & >2.gb Drives

Post by Michael Nit » Sun, 14 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I have "heard" that there are problems with using PdoxDos (4.5) with
>drives larger than 2 gb. Does anyone know anything specific about this or
>have I "heard" wrong.

I can't speak for PdoxDos but DOS/Windows 3.x/Win95
can't handle partitions larger than 2 GB. Windows NT can.
So maybe PdoxDos under NT can access these drives.

Michael

PdoxDos & >2.gb Drives

Post by Steve Gree » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

James: you are correct.. PdoxDOS (and some other DOS
apps) have problems under Win95 with drives over 2 gig..
the cure is aa file called lesspace.zip, found in lib13
of the PdoxDOS forum on CIS..

Under ordinary circumstances, 4.0 can address 2 gig of
free space, and 4.5 can address 4 gig of free space..

--
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group - Waldorf Maryland USA
CompuServe 71333.2362 - Prodigy TBMG62A -  I am a member of

PdoxDos & >2.gb Drives

Post by A.P.S. Ainsl » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I can't speak for PdoxDos but DOS/Windows 3.x/Win95
>can't handle partitions larger than 2 GB. Windows NT can.
>So maybe PdoxDos under NT can access these drives.

>Michael

Is this a Paradox-specific thing, or is it caused by the general
16-bittedness of the FAT/VFAT file systems?  In  which case, when MS finally
gets FAT-32 out (sometime in the autumn, as part of a minor revamp of Win95),
Win95 users will lose this problem.  FAT-32 will use 4kb cluster sizes and
address up to 2 terabytes or so - see MS Knowledge base for more, I forget
the article no.

1. PDoxDOS One->Many->Many

How about building a form off of the ORDERS table with detail
forms from the CUSTOMER and ITEMS tables.  ORDERS is the
master.  CUSTOMER is linked to ORDERS by [Customer #] field.
in a M-M.  (Hint, you can make the CUSTOMER detail form
READONLY!).  The ITEM table is linked to ORDERS by [Order #] in
a 1-M relationship.

2. Oracle 8.05 Linux Pro*C/C++ and Templates

3. Error 1226 when using sum()? Dynamic Server broken or what?!

4. Backing Up Large DBs Using Digital 20 GB Tape Drives

5. xp_sendmail and attach_results

6. Using an Exabyte 2.3 GB tape drive for archives and logs

7. command to Describe RULE

8. 1 GB IDE drive on older ISA bus 386

9. 1 GB IDE drive on older ISA bus

10. PDOXDOS 4.5 with 2GB drives

11. restore a 35 GB database over a 8 GB size harddisk

12. Database size jumped from 9 GB to 15 GB with a simple update