Table Corruption - Any other suggestions

Table Corruption - Any other suggestions

Post by Oscar Santiesteban Jr » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 11:26:53

Here is the problem.  As usual NO backup at customer site.

One table got corrupted.  When you try to open it, it gives the * "fail
open" or "open read only".  The "customer.mb" blob file is corrupt.
If I open read only, I can see the memo field where customer history is
kept.  When I click on the field, the memo field "goes empty".

I have tried Pdox 9 table repair and Pdox 10 table repair and both give a
"GPF" and aborts Paradox. When I come back to the table, the table is empty.
Not good to say the least. The table is a LEVEL 4 table.  I tried the old
DOS tutility to repair and it also does not work.  Both show errors upon
verifying the database.

Any other ideas on how to recover database??  Has about 5000 records and is
about 3 MB .

Post by Tony McGuir » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:05:01

: Any other ideas on how to recover database??

Invent a time machine and go back and few months, and force them to start a
backup routine.

Seriously, have you tried ChimneySweep?  Not sure it could do any better on
those tables.  Maybe Mike will stop by and be able to tell you more based on
your description.

Tony

"I woke up and was able to get myself out of bed.
Being that fortunate, what's to complain about?"
_____________

Table Corruption - Any other suggestions

Post by Mike Irwin [CTech » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:06:28

do you still have copies of the .db and .mb files from before
you started trying to recover them ?

Mike

says...

Quote:> Here is the problem.  As usual NO backup at customer site.

> One table got corrupted.  When you try to open it, it gives the * "fail
> open" or "open read only".  The "customer.mb" blob file is corrupt.
> If I open read only, I can see the memo field where customer history is
> kept.  When I click on the field, the memo field "goes empty".

> I have tried Pdox 9 table repair and Pdox 10 table repair and both give a
> "GPF" and aborts Paradox. When I come back to the table, the table is empty.
> Not good to say the least. The table is a LEVEL 4 table.  I tried the old
> DOS tutility to repair and it also does not work.  Both show errors upon
> verifying the database.

> Any other ideas on how to recover database??  Has about 5000 records and is
> about 3 MB .

Table Corruption - Any other suggestions

Post by Carolyn Wendove » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 06:38:50

I once wrote a routine that uses the tutility to allow verification and
rebuild of a number of tables and have often found that it would open a
table for repair when the built in table repair could not.  I think Bertil
has it on his site.

And I also recommend ChimneySweep.

HTH,
Carolyn

Quote:> Here is the problem.  As usual NO backup at customer site.

> One table got corrupted.  When you try to open it, it gives the *
"fail
> open" or "open read only".  The "customer.mb" blob file is corrupt.
> If I open read only, I can see the memo field where customer history is
> kept.  When I click on the field, the memo field "goes empty".

> I have tried Pdox 9 table repair and Pdox 10 table repair and both give a
> "GPF" and aborts Paradox. When I come back to the table, the table is
empty.
> Not good to say the least. The table is a LEVEL 4 table.  I tried the old
> DOS tutility to repair and it also does not work.  Both show errors upon
> verifying the database.

> Any other ideas on how to recover database??  Has about 5000 records and
is
> about 3 MB .

Table Corruption - Any other suggestions

Post by Oscar Santiesteban Jr » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 11:19:32

Yes I do Mike.  I have it on a .zip file that I got from the customer.
What do you suggest??  I can not send these files to anyone as they have the
SSN as the primary key along with some sensitive info.

Quote:> do you still have copies of the .db and .mb files from before
> you started trying to recover them ?

> Mike

Table Corruption - Any other suggestions

Post by Sundial Services International, Inc » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:37:45

This is a busted memo-file.  Very hard to correct.  TUtility does not
have much of a prayer of doing it; it'll simply set the memos to null.
ChimneySweep -might- be able to do it.

> do you still have copies of the .db and .mb files from before
> you started trying to recover them ?

> Mike

> says...
> > Here is the problem.  As usual NO backup at customer site.

> > One table got corrupted.  When you try to open it, it gives the * "fail
> > open" or "open read only".  The "customer.mb" blob file is corrupt.
> > If I open read only, I can see the memo field where customer history is
> > kept.  When I click on the field, the memo field "goes empty".

> > I have tried Pdox 9 table repair and Pdox 10 table repair and both give a
> > "GPF" and aborts Paradox. When I come back to the table, the table is empty.
> > Not good to say the least. The table is a LEVEL 4 table.  I tried the old
> > DOS tutility to repair and it also does not work.  Both show errors upon
> > verifying the database.

> > Any other ideas on how to recover database??  Has about 5000 records and is
> > about 3 MB .

Table Corruption - Any other suggestions

Post by Mike Irwin [CTech » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:19:04

well, one could start pulling the files apart, with C or Delphi.
If one knows the structure one then knows which bytes "belong"
to which fields, and so one should be able to do things like
determine the pointer in the .db table out into the .mb table,
and then rescue the text there.

Mike

says...