Seeking advice on a dbms

Post by CPU Do » Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:00:00

 I would like some casual advice from professional consultants that I can
pass along to my brother (an accountant who doubles as a consultant
"wanna-be").

I am a computer retail salesperson who has returned to college for a
degree in CIS and Networking. My brother has asked me for advice on a
"dangerous" undertaking. The ten-person accounting firm he works for wants
to select and install software for a prospect who is currently changing
from an AS400 network ot a PC based client/server network. Nobody at the
accounting firm has education or serious experience in IS management,
database programming, or networking.

They want to use newsgroups and the WWW as a source of gleening the "top
50 criteria" they need to select the perfect job-costing database package
for their client. The client is a small short run manufacturer of power
hand tools.

Thank you for your advice, and/or suggestions on where they might find
helpful information.

If you have a list of "most important" criteria that would be appreciated.

As for now, I've just taken a couple of database anaylis textbooks,
shipped them to him, and told him he might be ready to finish the job in a
year or two.

Doug

Computer retailer and in-home training (limited to home office
                      software)
Student Fox Valley Technical College - Oshkosh, WI
Divorced/34/M/Northeast Wisconsin

1. Seeking advice on dbms software

[...]

Doug Knoerr / Appleton, WI, USA

2. actual releases ?

3. Need Advice on DBMS

4. Virtual Private Database

5. DBMS Advice

6. Upsizing Access Database?

7. Advice on DBMS

8. Easy question about sp_who

9. Advice wanted on VAX dbms programs

10. Sought papers on Text DBMS

11. Seeking Guide to DBMS selection

12. Seeking Progress DBMS

13. Seeking public domain DBMS (if it exists)