pdoxdos 4.5 run under win2000

Post by Rene.Neme » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 06:34:53

Hello,

If exist command or triks for speed pdox under win2000

my soft run so slow,

100% process occupation just for paradox.

Thanks advance for help

Ren    French  Paradox Dos 4.5 user

Post by Steven Gree » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 06:40:43

> If exist command or triks for speed pdox under win2000

> my soft run so slow, 100% process occupation just for paradox.

first, download switches.zip from my web site to see if you're running
paradox properly..

second, make sure your virus software isn't set for "scan all files"

third.. there are known problems with using pdoxdos with win2000.. the
most serious problem is that pdoxdos is known to abort randomly.. very
dangerous.. if you have the options, go back to win98 and/or get a
windows-based replacement program for pdoxdos ASAP..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

Post by Sundial Service » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 09:16:03

>> If exist command or triks for speed pdox under win2000

>> my soft run so slow, 100% process occupation just for paradox.

> first, download switches.zip from my web site to see if you're running
> paradox properly..

> second, make sure your virus software isn't set for "scan all files"

> third.. there are known problems with using pdoxdos with win2000.. the
> most serious problem is that pdoxdos is known to abort randomly.. very
> dangerous.. if you have the options, go back to win98 and/or get a
> windows-based replacement program for pdoxdos ASAP..

G-E-T----R-I-D----O-F----D-O-S----...----IT----IS----TIME!----

The sooner people start to take this advice seriously, I think, the better
off they will be.

1. PDOXDOS 4.5 and Win2000

Hi all!  Glad to see you folks are still here.  I haven't been here in over
a year, been working my way out of DOS, with one client left kicking and
screaming and now is in trouble again as technology, ahem MS, screws them
over one more time.

Before I state the problem, let me say the answer is not "go back to Win
9x".  Their internal tech support department will not allow it and I have
absolutely no power over them.  So I'm looking for input from people who
have managed to make their PDOXDOS apps run on Win2000.  If there are none
of you out there, then I just won't re-up my contract at the end of June!
End of attitude -- here's my questions!  ;-)

Situation:
- Networked PDOXDOS 4.5 app running for 7 years starting with Win 3.1, moved
up to Win 95, first was on Novell servers, moved onto NT servers over a year
ago.  Have been stabilized on Win95/NT combo for over a year.
- Unfortunately, every new PC now coming into the company has Win2000 on the
workstation, and others may be forced to upgrade, and the PDOXDOS app is
having sporadic to catastrophic problems.

Minor Problem 1:
When the app is run in a window, it seems to function OK except the mouse
will not work.  I know it's a DOS issue, not Paradox because I have the same
problem running DOS EDIT, but does anyone have a solution to this one?
Also, when it runs in a window, they complain Paradox shrinks the size of
the window too small.  Suggestions?

Major Problem 2:
When the app runs in full screen mode, there are regular GP0000 crashes, at
all different places in the app.  It's not a corrupt database problem
because I can make it happen just by clicking the icon, getting to the main
menu screen, and exiting -- no database ever opens -- about 4 times out of
10 it will GP0000 just bringing Paradox up.  The other times you might run
for 5-10 minutes on varying tasks and suddenly crash to Windows.  It appears
to me that Win2000 is simply kicking Paradox off the system randomly.
Anybody run into this or have any ideas?  They say they have a PDOXDOS 4.0
app (running in 3.5-compatible mode that I did not write or support) that
reportedly is not having problems.  I'm getting further details on that, but
any thoughts?

Potential Problem 3:
One of the project managers in the department insists Windows XP will take
care of this with its Win95 emulation.  Besides the issue of what do we do
in the meantime, I don't have that much faith in Microsoft.  Does anyone
have any beta experience with XP and PDOXDOS?

Thanks for listening!  I'll break this into 3 threads if you think that
would be better.

Marlene Penry

2. US - SYSTEMS ARCHITECTS - NO RELOCATION REQUIRED

3. Upgrading from pdoxdos 4.0 to pdoxdos 4.5

4. ADO, SQL Server, VB6.0

5. PdoxDOS 4.5 and Win95--Trouble with RUN command?

6. how to implement referential integrity ?

7. Can't Start PdoxDOS 4.5 or PDOXRUN 4.5

8. Runtime Error 7 - Out of memory

9. Update to VB3 to access PDOXDOS 4.5

10. PdoxDOS 4.5 MultiTable Form Errors

11. PDOXDOS 4.5 UNDER Win2K

12. WinXP/PdoxWIN 9.0 to DOS 6.22/PdoxDOS 4.5

13. Table Full error message on PdoxDos 4.5