Networking paradox

Post by Oak Hal » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

In the BDE dialogbox do you need to set the NET path to the same place on
all computers networked to a folder on the network, and do you need any
special files in that location or will paradox create them??

Networking paradox

Post by Lionello Ferrazzini (remove * from addre » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>In the BDE dialogbox do you need to set the NET path to the same place on
>all computers networked to a folder on the network, and do you need any
>special files in that location or will paradox create them??

Paradox creates all what it needs (two files called pdoxusrs.net and
pdoxusrs.lck) in that folder.

Lionello Ferrazzini

e-mailing from Switzerland

Networking paradox

Post by Aage Johanse » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>> In the BDE dialogbox do you need to set the NET path to the same place on
>> all computers networked to a folder on the network, and do you need any
>> special files in that location or will paradox create them??

> Paradox creates all what it needs (two files called pdoxusrs.net and
> pdoxusrs.lck) in that folder.

And, he _must_ create that folder on the network and _all_ computers
must use that one folder.
(But that was obvious, perhaps?)

Aage J.

Networking paradox

?>

?
?And, he _must_ create that folder on the network and _all_ computers
?must use that one folder.
?(But that was obvious, perhaps?)
?
?Aage J.
Howdy,

There is (or was) a subtlety here...

For V7 and earlier, my understanding is that the NET DIR entry in
the BDE had to be "precisely the same" on all machines. It was
not enough to have them point to the same location:

Suppose we had machines A and B and the NET folder was on machine
A. If machine A's NET DIR said "NetFolder" and machine B's NET
DIR said "\\MachineA\NetFolder" the setup would NOT work.

In the example above the two specifications point to the same
location, but they are not letter for letter the same.

The route around this was odd (in my opinion): I was told to
create an extra, tiny partition on machine A. It would have a
drive letter associated with it. Machine A could then put that
drive letter in as NET DIR, and machine B could map to the newly
created partition with the same drive letter. That would work
because then both machines NET DIR entries were pointing to the
same location and also were precisely the same as they appeared
in the NET DIR specification field.

Related to all this:

Is there a way to map a drive letter on a machine to a shared
resource on that same machine? If so, it would make all the stuff
I described above much easier. When I try to do that
"self-mapping" I get the error that the "Computer or sharename
could not be found."

-Kenneth

Please respond here, and also via email (after removing "SPAMLESS.")

Networking paradox

Post by Kasey Chang (fix address before replying to m » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>In the BDE dialogbox do you need to set the NET path to the same place on
>all computers networked to a folder on the network, and do you need any
>special files in that location or will paradox create them??

paradox will create them.

PDOXWIN, Star Trek, Computer Games, Science Fiction, Writing, && more
Commercial use of this e-mail address implies your consent to pay me
amounts of up to US$100.00 per e-mail message from you received by me.

Networking paradox

Post by Richard Durre » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Ok, is the networking Novell style or peer to peer?

> ?>

> ?>> In the BDE dialogbox do you need to set the NET path to the same place on
> ?>> all computers networked to a folder on the network, and do you need any
> ?>> special files in that location or will paradox create them??
> ?>

<snip>

Networking paradox

Post by CFUV FM10 » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> ?>

> ?>> In the BDE dialogbox do you need to set the NET path to the same
> place on
> ?>> all computers networked to a folder on the network, and do you
> need any
> ?>> special files in that location or will paradox create them??
> ?>
> ?> Paradox creates all what it needs (two files called pdoxusrs.net
> and
> ?> pdoxusrs.lck) in that folder.
> ?
> ?And, he _must_ create that folder on the network and _all_ computers
> ?must use that one folder.
> ?(But that was obvious, perhaps?)
> ?
> ?Aage J.
> Howdy,

> There is (or was) a subtlety here...

> For V7 and earlier, my understanding is that the NET DIR entry in
> the BDE had to be "precisely the same" on all machines. It was
> not enough to have them point to the same location:

> Suppose we had machines A and B and the NET folder was on machine
> A. If machine A's NET DIR said "NetFolder" and machine B's NET
> DIR said "\\MachineA\NetFolder" the setup would NOT work.

Our network is peer-to-peer on win95. The path to the net files has to
be exactly the same BUT the drive letters can be different as long as
the whole thing points to the same location.
eg.
c:\pdoxwin\pdoxnet    - net files are on local drive of compA
g:\pdoxwin\pdoxnet    - net files are on network drive on another
computer. g drive is mapped to the compA c drive.
This works fine and doesn't involve any special partitioning of drives.

Quote:

> In the example above the two specifications point to the same
> location, but they are not letter for letter the same.

> The route around this was odd (in my opinion): I was told to
> create an extra, tiny partition on machine A. It would have a
> drive letter associated with it. Machine A could then put that
> drive letter in as NET DIR, and machine B could map to the newly
> created partition with the same drive letter. That would work
> because then both machines NET DIR entries were pointing to the
> same location and also were precisely the same as they appeared
> in the NET DIR specification field.

> Related to all this:

> Is there a way to map a drive letter on a machine to a shared
> resource on that same machine? If so, it would make all the stuff
> I described above much easier. When I try to do that
> "self-mapping" I get the error that the "Computer or sharename
> could not be found."

> Thanks,
> --
> -Kenneth

> Please respond here, and also via email (after removing "SPAMLESS.")

1. Help! - Blocking records in local network Paradox databases

I urgently need an answer for the following question :

What do I need to do to share my Paradox database in local network, with
record blocking?
My system is WIN 98.

I have mapped the necessary network drives pointing to the database location
(e.g. E:\myProg\data).

 I run other copy of a program on each node on the local network, and I set
each table:TTable
    table.DatabaseName := 'E:\myProg\Data';

Everything seems to work fine - I have an acces from each network computer
to the database, I can look at the data etc.
BUT : when I want to change the same record in one table from two different
network locations, BDE doesn't block the records,
so I can even do the changes pararelly (both nodes are editing, or deleting
the same record, with no blockings or even warning) and
the database is damaged.

According to the manual, to share a database in a local network with
"pesimistic blocking", I need to define :
    Session.NetFileDir := 'directory where the network control file of BDE
exists'. (pdoxuser.net) - this file governs the sharing of Paradox
tables on network drives. I defined it as Session.NetFileDir :=<mapped
drive> for each network node.

If I run the same program in two copies on the same computer, and try to
modify the same record, BDE can block it by raising exceptions. However,
these exceptions aren't raised when e.g. editing the database from two
different local network locations.

2. build hypercubes with more than 7 dimensions?

3. BDE on a Network, Paradox-locking and refreshing

4. Simple MSDTC question.

5. HELP!!!! network - paradox - bde16

6. oracle function - get numbers from text string

7. NETWORK + PARADOX

8. View is not updatable because the FROM clause names multiple tables.

9. Network, Paradox, Performance Disaster?

10. network Paradox databases

11. Local vs. Network Paradox Problems

12. Alternatives to networked Paradox

13. Networked Paradox database