How to find a method?

Post by Karl Perr » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:43:17

I'm using P9 and I am trying to make my way through the following code:

if WorkLib5.CreateReportResults() < 0 then
 msgStop("Error creating Results","Unable to get test results for "+
     "reportable results")
   return
endif

I need to look at the method WorkLib5.CreateReportResults.  I can't seem to
find any way to figure out where this exists in the app I've inherited.  No,
there is no file named "worklib5" anywhere in the directory structure, as
far as I can see.

How do I view code called from a method?

TIA,

Karl Perry

How to find a method?

Post by Vladimir Menki » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:48:43

Karl,

WorkLib5 is a library type variable, declared as

WorkLib5 library

Find somewhere in the code WorkLib5.open(SomeFileName) - and SomeFileName gives
you those library file name.

   Vladimir Menkin

> I'm using P9 and I am trying to make my way through the following code:

> if WorkLib5.CreateReportResults() < 0 then
>  msgStop("Error creating Results","Unable to get test results for "+
>      "reportable results")
>    return
> endif

> I need to look at the method WorkLib5.CreateReportResults.  I can't seem to
> find any way to figure out where this exists in the app I've inherited.  No,
> there is no file named "worklib5" anywhere in the directory structure, as
> far as I can see.

> How do I view code called from a method?

> TIA,

> Karl Perry

How to find a method?

Post by Karl Perr » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:51:57

Thanks.

Is there any way to do a "global search" in all code in the app for this?

Karl

> Karl,

> WorkLib5 is a library type variable, declared as

> WorkLib5 library

> Find somewhere in the code WorkLib5.open(SomeFileName) - and SomeFileName
gives
> you those library file name.

>    Vladimir Menkin

> > I'm using P9 and I am trying to make my way through the following code:

> > if WorkLib5.CreateReportResults() < 0 then
> >  msgStop("Error creating Results","Unable to get test results for "+
> >      "reportable results")
> >    return
> > endif

> > I need to look at the method WorkLib5.CreateReportResults.  I can't seem
> > find any way to figure out where this exists in the app I've inherited.
No,
> > there is no file named "worklib5" anywhere in the directory structure,
as
> > far as I can see.

> > How do I view code called from a method?

> > TIA,

> > Karl Perry

How to find a method?

Post by Sundial Service » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:54:01

> I'm using P9 and I am trying to make my way through the following code:

> if WorkLib5.CreateReportResults() < 0 then
>  msgStop("Error creating Results","Unable to get test results for "+
>      "reportable results")
>    return
> endif

> I need to look at the method WorkLib5.CreateReportResults.  I can't seem
> find any way to figure out where this exists in the app I've inherited.
> No, there is no file named "worklib5" anywhere in the directory structure,
> as far as I can see.

> How do I view code called from a method?

You should find a global variablenamed "WorkLib5," probably in the "var"
section of the form (root) object.  You should find code, probably in the
form's "init" or "open" method, that "opens" a certain library (.LSL) file.

The method being called will be found in that library.

Paradox for Windows applications use this technique a lot because a library
(which is basically a Windows DLL) is a place to put code that everyone can
easily share.  Because Windows is very well used to handling DLL-files
efficiently, Paradox for Windows in-effect "piggybacks" off of Windows' own
memory-management to provide this very useful feature.

----------------------------------
Fast automatic table repair at a click of a mouse!
http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

How to find a method?

Post by Vladimir Menki » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:01:41

Karl,

Yes. Open any method, press ctrl-Z, enter a text to search for and check "Global
search" checkbox. When the first occurence will be found, press ctrl-A to find
next occurence.

   Vladimir

> Thanks.

> Is there any way to do a "global search" in all code in the app for this?

> Karl

>>Karl,

>>WorkLib5 is a library type variable, declared as

>>WorkLib5 library

>>Find somewhere in the code WorkLib5.open(SomeFileName) - and SomeFileName

> gives

>>you those library file name.

>>   Vladimir Menkin

>>>I'm using P9 and I am trying to make my way through the following code:

>>>if WorkLib5.CreateReportResults() < 0 then
>>> msgStop("Error creating Results","Unable to get test results for "+
>>>     "reportable results")
>>>   return
>>>endif

>>>I need to look at the method WorkLib5.CreateReportResults.  I can't seem

>>>find any way to figure out where this exists in the app I've inherited.

> No,

>>>there is no file named "worklib5" anywhere in the directory structure,

> as

>>>far as I can see.

>>>How do I view code called from a method?

>>>TIA,

>>>Karl Perry

How to find a method?

Post by Karl Perr » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:15:51

Quote:> Karl,

> Yes. Open any method, press ctrl-Z, enter a text to search for and check
"Global
> search" checkbox. When the first occurence will be found, press ctrl-A to
find
> next occurence.

Thanks.  I figured this out about fif* seconds after I sent the last
message.  Sorry.

Is there any way to do a truly global search, meaning "search all Paradox
code in the DOS directory?"  I've tried the Windows Search capability and so
far have not found the text I'm looking for (this is a different thing I'm
looking for now - I found the "WorkLib5" reference).

TIA,

Karl

How to find a method?

Post by Vladimir Menki » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:27:52

Karl,

Quote:> Is there any way to do a truly global search, meaning "search all Paradox
> code in the DOS directory?"

Yes. See ProView at

http://cust.east.ru/~menkin

   Vladimir Menkin

How to find a method?

Post by Vladimir Menki » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:32:31

Forgot to mention.

Probably ProDoc (see the same site) may be useful for you - it's a documentation
tool, which includes code dependencies analyser

  Vladimir

1. Finding a record without Find/Seek methods...

How can I find a record and make it the current record in my datacontrol
without using the Find or Seek methords?

I am writiing a VB/Oracle Application that uses Oracle Objects For OLE's
DataControl. Since OO4O does not support the Find method I must find
alternate way to find a record via search criteria and make it the current
record.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks,

Eddie Hernandez                              North Broward Hospital District
Programmer/Oracle DBA                        1608 SE 3rd Avenue

2. GetChunk

3. ADOCE 3.1 and Find/Seek methods

4. Q: Possible Btrieve complications when running many databases

5. I find a method to a strange problem.

6. ***MD- SR RDBMS PROGRAMMER NEEDED ASAP***

7. Help With Find First Method

8. FMP 4.0 Portal layout weirdnesses and bugs

9. Field Names containing Spaces and the Find First method

10. need help searching with find like method

11. SEEK Vs FIND FIRST METHOD'S IN VB..........Which is faster?!!

12. ADO find method compare with DAO findfirst method...

13. Finding "FIND" method