Bringing Paradox Win version 1.0 into the new world

Bringing Paradox Win version 1.0 into the new world

Post by Scott Bur » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I just installed Paradox for windows version 1.0 under windows 98 and
have noticed a number of rough edges (sticky prroperty sheets, etc).
Is there a way to smooth over the rough spots and upgrade/patch this
version to run under win9x?  All the upgrade ftp's talk about
upgrading versions 5 or 7 -- I'm obviously a long way from there.

thanks in advance.  scott.

Bringing Paradox Win version 1.0 into the new world

Post by Romanesc Roma » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Really now so it is difficult to find normal version Paradox (for example 8
or 9), instead of to scoff on old version 1.0.

Quote:> I just installed Paradox for windows version 1.0 under windows 98 and

Post by Steve Gree » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I just installed Paradox for windows version 1.0 under windows 98

why bother?.. if you are really starting from the beginning, get pdoxwin9
and do it right.. it should cost less than 100 dollars

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

Bringing Paradox Win version 1.0 into the new world

Post by C?me de CHRISTE » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello Scott

If you are a bit lucky, your application should run
in the last 32 bit v9 without any correction ...

If not (lucky) you'll have to change some little things
and maybe recreate some reports. Api calls may be
also a problem if you 've used them.

Of course you can ugrade to v5 , v7-16bit, v7-32bit , v8...

FYI v5 works ok in Win9x except for selecting text in a
memo field, nothing serious actually !

Hth C?me

Quote:> I just installed Paradox for windows version 1.0 under windows 98 and
> have noticed a number of rough edges (sticky prroperty sheets, etc).
> Is there a way to smooth over the rough spots and upgrade/patch this
> version to run under win9x?  All the upgrade ftp's talk about
> upgrading versions 5 or 7 -- I'm obviously a long way from there.

> thanks in advance.  scott.

Bringing Paradox Win version 1.0 into the new world

Post by Scott Bur » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>> I just installed Paradox for windows version 1.0 under windows 98

>why bother?.. if you are really starting from the beginning, get pdoxwin9
>and do it right.. it should cost less than 100 dollars

The reason I bother is because I have it, and am not looking to
buy a new database.  If Paradox Win won't run well, I'll just use
Access 97.  However, I like the Paradox model and presentation,
and would like to get some use out of it -- I've had this copy for
about five years, and have been using Paradox off and on for
about 10 years.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Bringing Paradox Win version 1.0 into the new world

Post by Steve Gree » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> The reason I bother is because I have it, and am not looking to
> buy a new database.

pdoxwin version 1 is nearly ten years old, is not readily supported, and is
littered with problems.. if you want to use pdoxwin, go with something current
and supportable.. "stubborn" doesn't win you friends *or* support these days
<smile>

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

Bringing Paradox Win version 1.0 into the new world

Post by Sundial Service » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Yeah!  Of course it would!  I mean, who in their right mind would dream
of building a database that WASN'T forward and backward compatible
between versions?  Can you seriously imagine a product that "upgraded"
your application to a new version in such a way that you could never go
back to the previous ones, and required the correct operation and
"registration" of dozens of component parts to work at all?  Who in
their RIGHT MIND would try to sell such a piece-of-junk as THAT?!  ;-)
;-)

Scott, you'll probably find that you can open your (with-source)
application in Version 9 and find that it ... runs.

> Hello Scott

> If you are a bit lucky, your application should run
> in the last 32 bit v9 without any correction ...

Quote:> Why =shouldn't= it be quick and easy to keep your database online?
> http://www.sundialservices.com/cs3web.htm

1. Paradox 1.0 Win & PIMs

Okay.  Here's what I want to do.  I want to automatically take a date from a
Paradox 1.0 table and place it on the correct date on a visual representation
 of a calender (such as those found on various PIMs)  I would like it to be
 automatic, either by searching
the table, or by automatically updating the calendar when a record is posted.
I have tried DDE, but it is too laborious.  As an alternative, how difficult
would it be to create a mini-PIM within Paradox.  Would it be too slow?  Thank
you very much.
BARRY WILK, CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, CHICO

2. SQLMail via SQLAgent

3. Which one is the later version...Paradox for Windows 1.0 or 4.5

4. Oracle Web Servers

5. Recursive/Pigs ear tables in Forms in Paradox versions 1.0 and 4.5

6. CONFIDENTIAL ASSISTANCE

7. PRESS - INFORMIX AND NETSCAPE BRING PRODUCTION-STRENGTH RELATIONAL DATA MANAGEMENT TO WORLD WIDE WEB

8. Problem with virtual memory on Sbs

9. Newbie Alert!!! Help bring him into Pdox World

10. Pdox for Win 4.5 Runtime messes Pdox for Win 1.0

11. WTB: Foxbase+, FoxPro 1.0 for Win, FoxPro 2.0 for DOS, FoxPro 2.6 DOS/Win

12. DELPHI 1.0 DESKTOP VERSION AND C/S VERSION

13. help creating new database w/ demo version of personal oracle for win 95