Paradox 3.5 for DOS under Windows 95 - problems ??

Paradox 3.5 for DOS under Windows 95 - problems ??

Post by Pete Bennet » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00



Hi folks,

I am about to convert a machine running Borland Paradox 3.5 for DOS
under Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. I have heard that there may be problems
running Paradox 3.5 under Windows 95. Does anyone have any experience of
doing this pls ? (Maybe there is a faq perhaps)

Here's hoping

--
Kind Regards,

    Future Implications Japanese Language Services - Surrey, England

     Telephone +44 (0)181 661 7699 : Facsimile +44 (0)181 395 3545

 
 
 

Paradox 3.5 for DOS under Windows 95 - problems ??

Post by RSCHL » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00


I have the same situation a trusty application which runs with no problems
written
in paradox 3.5  When we up grade the ministry computers to win95 will
there be many
problems? The paradox 3.5 app is our main census program and if it won't
run we can't
upgrade its machine....

Anyone got any experience ???

Thanks
Fr. Bob


 
 
 

Paradox 3.5 for DOS under Windows 95 - problems ??

Post by John Pott » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00




>Hi folks,

>I am about to convert a machine running Borland Paradox 3.5 for DOS
>under Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. I have heard that there may be problems
>running Paradox 3.5 under Windows 95. Does anyone have any experience of
>doing this pls ? (Maybe there is a faq perhaps)

I've done it.  No problems yet, it's been running 8 weeks now.  I use the
data entry toolkit in my application, and reboot win95 as a dos machine.

Under dos 6.22, pdx35 runs better with no memory managers loaded, but if
you've got a fast machine you probably won't notice the difference.

--
John Potter

    Unrepentent tree hugger and writer of software
    for charitable organisations

 
 
 

Paradox 3.5 for DOS under Windows 95 - problems ??

Post by Steve Gree » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00


Pdox3.5 will only run in Real Mode under *any*
version of Windows.. considering that you've
probably got an 8 meg or better machine, that
is a terrible waste of potential performance..

Unless you did something really bizzare in your
3.5 apps, they will run as-is in 4.02 Compatible
Mode, which *was* made to run under Windows..

--
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group - Waldorf Maryland USA
CompuServe 71333.2362 - Prodigy TBMG62A -  I am a member of
Borland's TeamB Tech Support staff for PdoxDOS but I do not
represent Borland International in any official capacity.

 
 
 

Paradox 3.5 for DOS under Windows 95 - problems ??

Post by Pete Bennet » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00


Thanks for all your help so far kind people (both those that have
responded in this newsgroup and via email. It seems people have had
mixed experiences. I have actually set up a seperate machine now with
Windows 95 and Pdox 3.5. I can get it to run in a Windows (ie, not
single DOS mode) but I have problems with memory and printing. An
application that I used to run in a Window perfectly well under Win 3.1
complains about not having enough memory and when I print reports they
either crash the machine, get segmented in to a big job and a very small
job of only a few bytes !



Quote:>Pdox3.5 will only run in Real Mode under *any*
>version of Windows.. considering that you've
>probably got an 8 meg or better machine, that
>is a terrible waste of potential performance..

>Unless you did something really bizzare in your
>3.5 apps, they will run as-is in 4.02 Compatible
>Mode, which *was* made to run under Windows..

Is 4.02 compatible mode a feature of 3.5, ie can I put 3.5 into 4.02
mode ? (sorry to sound dumb but I don't understand the package in
detail).

Bye for now and pls keep your experiences coming.

--
Kind Regards,

    Future Implications Japanese Language Services - Surrey, England

     Telephone +44 (0)181 661 7699 : Facsimile +44 (0)181 395 3545

 
 
 

Paradox 3.5 for DOS under Windows 95 - problems ??

Post by Steve Urba » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00



>Thanks for all your help so far kind people (both those that have
>responded in this newsgroup and via email. It seems people have had
>mixed experiences. I have actually set up a seperate machine now with
>Windows 95 and Pdox 3.5. I can get it to run in a Windows (ie, not
>single DOS mode) but I have problems with memory and printing. An
>application that I used to run in a Window perfectly well under Win 3.1
>complains about not having enough memory and when I print reports they
>either crash the machine, get segmented in to a big job and a very small
>job of only a few bytes !
<snip>

>>Unless you did something really bizzare in your
>>3.5 apps, they will run as-is in 4.02 Compatible
>>Mode, which *was* made to run under Windows..
>Is 4.02 compatible mode a feature of 3.5, ie can I put 3.5 into 4.02
>mode ? (sorry to sound dumb but I don't understand the package in
>detail).

4.02 is the "best" version of Paradox DOS 4.0. Compatible mode makes
the screen behave like version 3.5, but gives you the better memory
managment and speed.

- Show quoted text -

>Bye for now and pls keep your experiences coming.
>--
>Kind Regards,

>    Future Implications Japanese Language Services - Surrey, England
>     Telephone +44 (0)181 661 7699 : Facsimile +44 (0)181 395 3545

 
 
 

Paradox 3.5 for DOS under Windows 95 - problems ??

Post by Steve Urba » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00



>Compatible Mode in 4.02 is a special feature so that
>you can run your 3.x apps without having to modify
>them to work in the new 4.x interface.. all you have
>to do is rebuild all the tables and re-compile the
>libs.. total no-brainer 99.5 % of the time..

Tables?, Don't you mean Libraries?  4.x will let you leave tables in
3.5 compatible for use elsewhere (ya do lose some of the 4.x benefits
like Memo fields, but a 3.5 app wouldn't be using them).

Quote:>--
>Steve Green - Diamond Software Group - Waldorf Maryland USA
>CompuServe 71333.2362 - Prodigy TBMG62A -  I am a member of
>Borland's TeamB Tech Support staff for PdoxDOS but I do not
>represent Borland International in any official capacity.

Steve
 
 
 

Paradox 3.5 for DOS under Windows 95 - problems ??

Post by Steve Gree » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00


Compatible Mode in 4.02 is a special feature so that
you can run your 3.x apps without having to modify
them to work in the new 4.x interface.. all you have
to do is rebuild all the tables and re-compile the
libs.. total no-brainer 99.5 % of the time..

--
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group - Waldorf Maryland USA
CompuServe 71333.2362 - Prodigy TBMG62A -  I am a member of
Borland's TeamB Tech Support staff for PdoxDOS but I do not
represent Borland International in any official capacity.

 
 
 

1. Paradox 3.5 DOS & Windows 95

I'm having major problems getting Paradox 3.5 DOS running properly in
Windows 95. The program loads fine using any normal method of starting
applications in Windows 95. The problem is that I can't do any operations
that involve writing to the hard disk as the error message "not enough disk
space to enter subsystem" is displayed every time. If I boot straight into
MS-DOS mode from system boot-up everything works fine, but I can't find a
way to get paradox to write to the drive from within Windows 95.

Any ideas??? thanks for any ideas,

Dave.


2. filemaker lasso & Flash

3. Problems with Paradox 3.5 in WIndows 95

4. Why does this login fail?

5. Need Help: Paradox 3.5 Windows 95 Problems

6. set recursive triggers ON programmatically

7. Paradox 3.5 under Windows 95/98

8. SQL Server 6.5 Support Life

9. Paradox 3.5 PAL applications running under Windows 95

10. Paradox 3.5 and Windows 95

11. Paradox 3.5 with Windows 95

12. Windows 95 and Paradox 3.5

13. Paradox 3.5 in a DOS windows under WIndows 9x