WinXP/PdoxWIN 9.0 to DOS 6.22/PdoxDOS 4.5

WinXP/PdoxWIN 9.0 to DOS 6.22/PdoxDOS 4.5

Post by Tucke » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:43:23

Here is my setup...
XP with PdoxWIN 9.0 accessing data across a Lantastic 8.01 network at a DOS
6.2 with PdoxDOS 4.5 machine.  This worked fine until I got the XP machine.

Now if the DOS machine is up and running and I try to access data with the
XP machine, I get this type message(from Lantastic?) "...unable to delete
PDOXUSRS.LCK on f:\blahj\blah\blah..."  I have tried deleting ALL *.lck and
*.net files while no paradox is running...no help.  If DOS is not running
paradox, I can delete the *lck files in the data directory and run fine, but
then DOS fails to run.  So one or the other can work but not concurrently.

Data is on DOS at c:\pdox\applicat\data with *NET at c:\netlocks
DOS C: is mapped to F: on network
DOS Private is c:\pdox\applicat   but it is writing lock files to BOTH
directories
XP working is set to f:\pdox\applicat\data with *.NET f:\netlocks

I don't understand why Lantastic is trying to delete the *.LCK file and why
it can't???

This should work, but I wonder if it is not the NTFS vs. FAT16 that is the
ultimate problem?

Anyone have any ideas?

Tucker

WinXP/PdoxWIN 9.0 to DOS 6.22/PdoxDOS 4.5

Post by Dennis Santor » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:23:58

I expect the problem is trying to point them both to the same working directory
but I don't know how DOS or Pdos will handle NTFS and I don't know much about
Lantastic.

You should point the working directory on the P9 to somewhere local. Use an
alias (a real one, not work) to point to the data. Forms should be somewhere
else entirely (another alias).

That is where I would start. If you are not sure about how to fix the aliasing
of your forms or why you shouldn't use the work alias or working dir see my
paper on Database basics on our Paradox resources page (link in my signature)
although the site is being moved to a new host, through no desire of mine, and
they are screwing things up royally. So if you have any trouble let me know and
if anyone has used the contact mail on the site or any of the freeware
requesters, they seem to be working but I'm not getting them. So keep trying.

Denn Santoro
President
Resource Development Associates
http://www.RDAWorldWide.Com
Offices in the United States and Germany
Providing solutions to health care, business, governments and non-profits since
1982

Post by Steven Gree » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 01:38:56

> Here is my setup...
> XP with PdoxWIN 9.0 accessing data across a Lantastic 8.01 network at a DOS
> 6.2 with PdoxDOS 4.5 machine.  This worked fine until I got the XP machine.

unfortunately, you're breaking new ground here on a variety of fronts.. you're
mixing XP with old DOS, and you're mixing XP with Lantastic.. *nobody* knows
what will or won't work.. right off the bat, the XP/DOS angle isn't gonna work
for everything, no matter what the Lantastic thing does.. honestly, my
suggestion is to *not* try this.. there's nothing we can do to help you..

--

Steve Green
Diamond Software Group, Inc.

http://www.diamondsg.com

Is your ParadoxDOS app in need of our new Sanity Check package?

http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm

Trying to Upgrade or Downgrade your ParadoxDOS user counts or versions?

http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

WinXP/PdoxWIN 9.0 to DOS 6.22/PdoxDOS 4.5

Post by Norman Meredit » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:34:59

I had at one time deployed several Paradox DOS apps over Lantastic networks
(even in a Windows mixed with DOS environment).  The error you are
describing sounds familiar but I do not remember what my resolution for it
was.

I do remember that I ended up migrating many of those environments away from
the Lantastic peer network setup.  I created a share area on a Windows
server (PDC) and placed the apps there.  Then on the DOS machine I loaded
the Microsoft network client files called from the autoexec.bat.  This
proved to be a workable solution.  The cautions are that you have to watch
what you are loading memory resident on the DOS machine because the
Microsoft client takes up so much more room than the Lantastic client.  The
good news is that you will not be loading the Lantastic server on the DOS
machine any more.

In my memories I only did this migrating to a NT server; this is where the
authentication took place.  This may also work on any Windows system with
User level share access granted.

Hope this is of some help.

Quote:> Here is my setup...
> XP with PdoxWIN 9.0 accessing data across a Lantastic 8.01 network at a
DOS
> 6.2 with PdoxDOS 4.5 machine.  This worked fine until I got the XP
machine.

> Now if the DOS machine is up and running and I try to access data with the
> XP machine, I get this type message(from Lantastic?) "...unable to delete
> PDOXUSRS.LCK on f:\blahj\blah\blah..."  I have tried deleting ALL *.lck
and
> *.net files while no paradox is running...no help.  If DOS is not running
> paradox, I can delete the *lck files in the data directory and run fine,
but
> then DOS fails to run.  So one or the other can work but not concurrently.

> Data is on DOS at c:\pdox\applicat\data with *NET at c:\netlocks
> DOS C: is mapped to F: on network
> DOS Private is c:\pdox\applicat   but it is writing lock files to BOTH
> directories
> XP working is set to f:\pdox\applicat\data with *.NET f:\netlocks

> I don't understand why Lantastic is trying to delete the *.LCK file and
why
> it can't???

> This should work, but I wonder if it is not the NTFS vs. FAT16 that is the
> ultimate problem?

> Anyone have any ideas?

> Tucker

WinXP/PdoxWIN 9.0 to DOS 6.22/PdoxDOS 4.5

Post by Tucke » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 02:12:44

Norman,

Where do I get Microsoft network client?

This is a real pain and I will do ANYTHING to avoid migrating my app to OPAL...

Tucker

[bulk of messages deleted to save space]

Quote:

Post by Steven Gree » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 03:15:09

> Where do I get Microsoft network client?

you just pick it from the network options in Windows (the normal way) instead of
having Lantastic use *its* options.. that statement will make the most sense if
you've ever set up a Windows-based network or P2P network.. <smile>

Quote:> This is a real pain and I will do ANYTHING to avoid migrating my app to OPAL...

as mentioned before.. the reason you're having these problems is that you're trying
to move on to XP.. but you're trying to do it with versions of Lantastic and
Paradox that weren't createde for it.. like everyone before you, you must make a
choice.. keep upgrading Windows and get rid of the old DOS app, or quit upgrading
Windows and keep using the old DOS app..

--

Steve Green
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Corel CTech - Paradox Support
Waldorf Maryland USA

http://www.diamondsg.com

Is your ParadoxDOS app in need of our new Sanity Check package?

http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm

Trying to Upgrade or Downgrade your ParadoxDOS user counts or versions?

http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

WinXP/PdoxWIN 9.0 to DOS 6.22/PdoxDOS 4.5

Post by Rodney Wis » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 04:17:29

Tucker,

Actually, my experience has been that Lantastic is a more stable network
protocol then MS Client when using DOS PC's.  It has a smaller foot print
too.... giving you more conventional RAM.

I think that possibly your problems could be caused by the "Version" of
Lantastic you have installed on the XP machine.  Maybe the version of
Lantastic you're using doesn't support XP.  If you don't have the most
current Lantastic installed on "ALL" PC's.... along with any current
Fixes.... this could be the cause.  I believe Lantastic has a support area
on their Web site.  You might check there and see what they have to say
about Win XP.

As far as where to get MS DOS Clients... I know you can build them from
Windows NT server disk.  I don't know about XP.... I think they may have
dropped DOS support with XP.

Rodney Wise

WinXP/PdoxWIN 9.0 to DOS 6.22/PdoxDOS 4.5

Post by mark banniste » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 05:10:21

Tucker,
Rodney is correct in that there is a new version of lantastic for XP and
Win2K.  You must have this verion installed on all your XP,2K and NT
machines (Note although it does not address NT problems it MUST be
installed on the NT machines.)
If you just download the lantastic eval you will not get the correct
verion for XP.  Go to the spartacom support page
(http://www.spartacom.com/supphome.nsf) to get the latest download.
Mark

> Tucker,

> Actually, my experience has been that Lantastic is a more stable network
> protocol then MS Client when using DOS PC's.  It has a smaller foot print
> too.... giving you more conventional RAM.

> I think that possibly your problems could be caused by the "Version" of
> Lantastic you have installed on the XP machine.  Maybe the version of
> Lantastic you're using doesn't support XP.  If you don't have the most
> current Lantastic installed on "ALL" PC's.... along with any current
> Fixes.... this could be the cause.  I believe Lantastic has a support area
> on their Web site.  You might check there and see what they have to say
> about Win XP.

> As far as where to get MS DOS Clients... I know you can build them from
> Windows NT server disk.  I don't know about XP.... I think they may have
> dropped DOS support with XP.

> Rodney Wise

1. Foxpro 2.0 (DOS), DOS 6.22, & Windows 3.1

I have inherited a problem with a Foxpro 2.0 custom program.  My client
had the program constructed a couple of years ago and the programmer has since
left town.  The program consists of only the APP and the Foxpro 2.0 for DOS
runtime library.

We have subsequently started to upgrade their system and we are encountering
some problems.  After running DOS's MEMMAKER program, the Foxpro program
complains of not enough memory.  We have tried various combinations of
EXPANDED and EXTENDED configurations with EMM386.EXE without success.
However, when we exclude EMM386.EXE, we have no problems.  Unfortunately, we
can't load any TSR's up high, a serious constraint on our conventional memory.

Eventually, we want to run the Foxpro program under Windows 3.1 providing we
can get the proper PIF settings.  However, we need to solve the memory
problems under DOS first.

If anyone has experience with the problem above and can offer some assistance,
I would be most thankful.

Sincerely,
Murray

2. Script needed

3. IMPORT PARADOX FOR DOS V 4.5 INTO PDOXWIN 4.5

4. Licence IT & local support

5. Converting from PdoxDOS 4.5 to PdoxWin

6. How make the ahalogy MS-Access->CobmoBox in Delhi ?

7. PDOX 4.5 Runtime for DOS & WinXP

8. VB4: OLEAUT32.DLL is out of date?

9. Memory Management Dos 6.22

10. [DOS} Is PdoxDos 4.5 stable?

11. Btrieve (Dos 6.22) can not open bases?

12. Foxpro 2.0 vs DOS 6.22 incompatabilities?

13. FoxPro 2.5 and MS-DOS 6.22