Paradox databases of more than 2Gb

Post by Jarvis N. Bra » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Is there any known problem with using paradox databases of more than
2Gb. I know there is a problem with individual tables of that
size but we have a system which creates multiple tables of about 200 -
300Mb to produce a total database of in excess of 2Gb.

However we have discovered a problem! When the total data in reaches
almost, but not quite, 2Gb it appears to be impossible to get past the
2Gb boundary, we apparently get 'insufficient disk space' errors even
though this is on a Raid with about 50Gb free. We can get past the
limit by copying a file to force the directory / data over 2Gb at
which point we just carry on as before but now we have found the same
problem at 6Gb (looks like someone use a signed 32bit integer for some
size parameter).

It is not dependant on the open tables and does not appear to depend
on the directory in which the data resides (we have seen the problem
with the 2Gb spread across two directories). It also doesn't seem to
relate to the drive size or usage.

Has anyone out there encountered anything similar? Can this be
explained? Can it be solved? At present our only solution is to wait
until we reach 2Gb and the system stalls at which point we copy a
table to force the data past 2Gb and restart. This is all implemented
using Delphi3, BDE 5.01 (or BDE 4.51) and Paradox 7.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jarvis N. Brand

Post by Steve Gree » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Is there any known problem with using paradox databases of more than
> 2Gb. I know there is a problem with individual tables of that
> size but we have a system which creates multiple tables of about 200 -
> 300Mb to produce a total database of in excess of 2Gb.

There are some known issues with total volume size with certain pdox
versions and certain environments.. one of the "windows" guys can give you
the exact details.. but the main point here should be that, once you get
even remotely into this league (total app size of *many* gig), you should
be in a client/server setup, not a desktop database..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com    <- please note our new web site

Paradox databases of more than 2Gb

Post by Slava Litvinenk » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>There are some known issues with total volume size with certain pdox
>versions and certain environments.. one of the "windows" guys can give you
>the exact details.. but the main point here should be that, once you get
>even remotely into this league (total app size of *many* gig), you should
>be in a client/server setup, not a desktop database..

We are running Paradox 5.0 from the LAN. We have few databases. All of them
use same PDOXUSRS.NET file. What happen if summary size of our databases
exceed 2GB? Will we have same problems like Jarvis N. Brand has?

Slava Litvinenko

Paradox databases of more than 2Gb

Post by Jonathan Wrigh » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>If you have that much data, you should be using a SQL server of some sort.

So what happens if this is a single user based application but simple
requires a high amount of data storage ?

Does this mean I should be forcing the customers of my developed
applications to start using SQL server or something similar because of the
amount of data they are keeping, despite the fact that they are a single
user ?

I know that in all the cases they are not likely to hit anywhere near this
limit, but I do not understand why a single user application should go and
use an RDBMS server because they need to hold a lot of data.

Regards

Jonathan

Post by Steve Gree » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> >If you have that much data, you should be using a SQL server of some sort.

> Does this mean I should be forcing the customers of my developed
> applications to start using SQL server or something similar because of the
> amount of data they are keeping, despite the fact that they are a single
> user ?

Actually, yes.. 6 gig is more than just "a lot of data"..  if nothing else, you
could be distributing it as a self-contained product using Borland's Interbase
Server.. with volume that high, performance will be much better.. but it *is*,
of course, a major re-tooling..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA

http://www.diamondsg.com    <- please note our new web site

Paradox databases of more than 2Gb

Post by Mike Irwin [CTech » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I would seriously suggest that for this much data you try out a copy of
Borland's InterBase client/server database. It is very robust (just
imagine typing in 6 GB of data again !) and very easy to use. You can
easily use it in place of Paradox tables. At this data size it might
very well be faster, too.

Mike
--
Mike Irwin
[Volunteer CTech Sysop, not a Corel employee

Paradox databases of more than 2Gb

Post by PETE » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Can you access Interbase Tables trough Paradox? or do you have to rewrite
the entire application?

Tks - Peter

Post by Steve Gree » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Can you access Interbase Tables trough Paradox?

Yes..

Quote:> or do you have to rewrite the entire application?

That depends on how you wrote the app..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA

http://www.diamondsg.com    <- please note our new web site

1. MSDE and 2GB database

Hi,
Is there any way to override 2GB size limit
for database in MSDE?
Of course except of buying bigger version of SQLServer
because the database is used on many computers and it becomes
greater and greater... I couldn't afford to buy so many
bigger versions of SQLServers for my clients...And there is rather
small possibility to lower number of data in database.

There is a lot of relations between data so it would be
a great problem with splitting it between several
databases.

Is there any solution?

Regards,
Miroo

2. Compressing SQL Data Base

3. Msg 2525 on DBCC NEWALLOC of empty 2Gb/1Gb SQL6.5SP3 database

4. sdf

5. Archive Database Limitation(2GB) - Very Important

6. Need help-- ODBC connection fail !

7. BDE and large databases (>2Gb)

8. End of session in ORACLE (OCI programming)

9. Migrating Databases w/ 2GB Filesize Limit

10. paradox.net (Can't read Paradox database inside of Access)

11. PARADOX ENGINE in DOS and PARADOX database

12. How to change an oracle database to a paradox database

13. Updating a Paradox database from a DBase database