Running WINWORD V7 from Paradox V7

Post by Adrian M » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have been trying to automatically switch from my Paradox application
to a new Word mail merge document.  The aim is to run a query in
Paradox, update some table or other, load Word, and automatically run
the mail merge, then switch back to Paradox.

I am currently using the WinSendMessage calls etc, and can detect if
windows is running or not, and run it if necessary with the
appropriate document.  What I CANT do is force Word to load a new
document if it is already running.

(i've also looked at DDE - but with no success)

Anyone help me with what most vendors cliam to be "an integrated
function" ?
"Life is a lemon and I want my money back"

Post by Dwayne Zo » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I have been trying to automatically switch from my Paradox application
> to a new Word mail merge document.  The aim is to run a query in
> Paradox, update some table or other, load Word, and automatically run
> the mail merge, then switch back to Paradox.

> I am currently using the WinSendMessage calls etc, and can detect if
> windows is running or not, and run it if necessary with the
> appropriate document.  What I CANT do is force Word to load a new
> document if it is already running.

> (i've also looked at DDE - but with no success)

> Anyone help me with what most vendors cliam to be "an integrated
> function" ?
> "Life is a lemon and I want my money back"

Under Pdox5 and Winword6, I have successfully used SENDKEYS to open a
document that is already opened.  With PDOX7, you should be able to use
OLE automation to run Wordbasic commands to do the same thing.

Can you provide me your snippet of code that uses WinSendMessage to
determine if Winword is active?  I am using enumwindownames to do the
same function.

Post by Bob Barro » Sun, 16 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I have been trying to automatically switch from my Paradox application
>to a new Word mail merge document.  The aim is to run a query in
>Paradox, update some table or other, load Word, and automatically run
>the mail merge, then switch back to Paradox.
>I am currently using the WinSendMessage calls etc, and can detect if
>windows is running or not, and run it if necessary with the
>appropriate document.  What I CANT do is force Word to load a new
>document if it is already running.
>(i've also looked at DDE - but with no success)
>Anyone help me with what most vendors cliam to be "an integrated
>function" ?
>"Life is a lemon and I want my money back"

I can't give you specifics, but you should look up DDE in Word's
online help to find out how to communicate with Word via DDE. All
programs differ in how they want the DDE.execute() commands syntaxed.
Basically you'll open a DDE variable onto the Word application, then
use dde.execute() to run a Word macro that loads the document, etc.

Hope this helps
Bob Barrows

1. Upgrade V7 to V7

I feel like a fool since I have to ask this question again.
Sombody replyed and told me to use a sp_ procedure to move databases,objects
and useres from one V7 server to another but my machine broke down and I
lost my mail
so i have to ask again.
here is the orginal question:

Hi there.
this may be a stupid question but.........
I need to upgrade the machine that my SQL server is running on and I have
installed SQL7 on the new machine but now I need to transfer all the data
 and objects from one server to the other.
how do I do that?

_________
Since then I have tryed to use DTS in server manager but got all kinds of
error but mainly that users are not transfeered with this method.

As I understood the answer I could use a sp_ procedure to disconnect the
database from one server, copy the files to the other server and use sp_xxx
to connect the database on the new server. (Sounds logial)

witch leeds me to other question. where are these stored procedures
documented?

So the person how answered earlyer or some other that can help me please
help me.

--
Svavar Kvaran
Skyrr hf

Smi: 569-5179

2. TOOLS-Multiple Changes on Table and SP

3. V7 to V7 upgrade

4. replication with msde subscriber

5. V7 Beta -> V7 Standard

6. Net8 - Keeps Using Dial Up Adapter

7. BAD sig (was: Re: v7.3.1 psql against a v7.2.x database

8. SQL Logic help

9. Convert dump v7.1 to v7.2.1

10. Ora v7.1 to v7.3 speed problems (VMS)

11. Export from v7.3 to a v7.2 database

12. GA-ATLANTA-SENIOR ORACLE DBA - TO $90K - PRODUCTION V7.23->V7.32

13. Microsoft Query returns corrupt data to Excel v7.0a from Oracle v7