PARADOX.NET - PDOXUSRS.NET and Merant ODBC

PARADOX.NET - PDOXUSRS.NET and Merant ODBC

Post by Terry Roge » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi There,
I have a shared third party application (PACS  )that uses Paradox
tables (don't know what version). The third party app works just fine
when accessing shared data.
I have downloaded the Merant ODBC (v3.6) paradox drivers to test out
concurrent access - ostensibly with Crystal Reports and Access 97.

Problem - using the  ODBC drivers I get a directory is controlled by
other .NET file.
Shared directories have been properly set up in both the ODBC DSN and
the BDE Configuration utility.
BDE Administrator - as shipped with third party app is v5.01
Merant Paradox driver v3.6 (recently downloaded 2/10/2000)
The Merant documentation refers to a PARADOX.NET file, while my third
party app generates a PDOXUSRS.NET file.

As I am fairly inexperienced with Paradox/BDE:
1) What are the differences (engine version, table versions, etc)
between the PARADOX.NET and PDOXUSRS.NET locking mechanisms?

2) Is there any way,  that anybody knows,  I can get the Merant divers
to access the PDOXUSRS.NET file (locking mechanism for the third party
app) ?

Thanks in advance
Terry Rogers

Post by Steve Gree » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> 1) What are the differences (engine version, table versions, etc)
> between the PARADOX.NET and PDOXUSRS.NET locking mechanisms?

paradox.net means 3.x tables or earlier.. pdoxusrs.net means 4.x tables or
later.. totally incompatible processes..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

PARADOX.NET - PDOXUSRS.NET and Merant ODBC

Post by Terry Roge » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Steve,

Do I properly infer from your signature file that you work for Corel,
or otherwise support the Paradox product?

Turns out that the Merant ODBC people are maintaining:
"Connect ODBC for Paradox (the "Paradox driver") supports Paradox 3x,
4x, 5.x, 7.x, 8.x, and 9.0 tables in the Windows 9x and Windows NT
environments"

"Multiuser Access to Tables
You can query Paradox tables that reside in a shared directory on a
network or that are to be shared among applications running on a local
workstation. If the tables are on a network server, multiple users can
query these tables simultaneously. To share Paradox tables among
multiple users, the tables must be located in a shared directory on
your network server.

Two connection attributes identify the Paradox database you are
accessing: Database (database directory) and NetDir (network
directory). The Database setting specifies the directory of Paradox
tables that is the database. If the Database setting you specify is a
shared network directory, then Paradox requires a NetDir specification
as well. This value identifies the directory containing the
PARADOX.NET file that corresponds to the Database setting you have
specified.

Every user who accesses the same shared directory of tables must set
the NetDir value to point to the same PARADOX.NET file. If your
connection string does not specify a NetDir value, then Paradox uses
the NetDir value specified in the Paradox section of the IDAPI
configuration file. This makes it important that the NetDir
specification in each user's IDAPI configuration file be set
correctly. "

Can you confirm that 4.x Paradox tables require the PDOXUSRS.NET
locking mechanism?

Thanks in advance
Terry Rogers

Post by Steve Gree » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Do I properly infer from your signature file that you work for Corel,
> or otherwise support the Paradox product?

"otherwise support the product" for Corel's benefit is the most
appropriate explanation of CTech..

Quote:> Can you confirm that 4.x Paradox tables require the PDOXUSRS.NET
> locking mechanism?

yes.. you can't use 4.x or higher tables with the old 3.x locking
mechanism

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

1. Diff PDOXUSRS.NET and PARADOX.NET

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Any experience with the Merant product - the one that looks for
PARADOX.NET.
Their literature seems to indicate they handle all tables to version
9?

Anyways I have a tech email into them. They were unable last year to
even supply as much information as you just did in one post.

Any further thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Terry Rogers

2. new to access end vb

3. Tired of Pdoxusrs.LCK and Pdoxusrs.NET files.

4. QUERY to provide PROC w/ parameters...

5. Pdoxusrs.net in Paradox

6. ECPerf Perfomance Benchmarks

7. Paradox on Novell - PDOXUSRS.NET

8. Run SQL without transactions

9. Paradox 7: Netdir/PdoxUsrs.Net

10. US-GA-.NET DEVELOPER WITH ORACLE FORMS VB.NET+ASP.NET

11. Problem on ODBC.net on ASP.net

12. Pdoxusrs.net in peer-2-peer BDE App

13. PDOXUSRS.NET file (help!)