Help-importing Excel 3.0 file to Paradox 7

Help-importing Excel 3.0 file to Paradox 7

Post by Larry Ber » Mon, 02 Mar 1998 04:00:00

When I attempt to import Excel file (Mortch.xls) to Paradox 7 I  get
these error messages.
"You have tried to use an unassigned variable.  A variable must be
assigned a value before you can use it."
"An error was triggered in a create operation."
"Invalid file Name."
The first column in the Excel file is labeled Tn .  It contains small
positive integers.  The second column is labeled Teacher and it contains
teacher names of less than thir* letters.
Thanks.

Help-importing Excel 3.0 file to Paradox 7

Post by Kasey Chang (fix address before replying to m » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>When I attempt to import Excel file (Mortch.xls) to Paradox 7 I  get
>these error messages.
>"You have tried to use an unassigned variable.  A variable must be
>assigned a value before you can use it."
>"An error was triggered in a create operation."
>"Invalid file Name."
>The first column in the Excel file is labeled Tn .  It contains small
>positive integers.  The second column is labeled Teacher and it contains
>teacher names of less than thir* letters.

Your import expert was not set up properly. You may need to reinstall
the program. Use the time to apply all the patches to it too.

PDOXWIN, Star Trek, Computer Games, Science Fiction, Writing, && more
Commercial use of this e-mail address implies your consent to pay me
amounts of up to US$100.00 per e-mail message from you received by me.

1. Problem Importing Excel files into Paradox

: I am having problems importing Excel files into Borland's Paradox 7.
: The problem starts when I am at the File Import Dialog box.  I
: highlight the file to be imported and enter Open.  I then get an
: Import Error stating "Could not open the file".  I hit OK and then
: repeat the whole procedure and everything works fine.  Any clues?

Well, you don't say whether this is 16-bit or 32-bit Paradox
7, or what version of Excel, so you haven't given me enough
clues.

I believe Paradox has trouble with the most recent versions
of Excel; if you save it as something like an Excel 4 file,
you should have no problem.

Then again, if you're going to do a "save as" in Excel, the
even better solution is to save your Excel table as a dBASE
(.dbf) file, which Paradox will read directly, without
conversion.  If you want to end up with a Paradox table, just
tell Paradox to copy the table, and give a destination table
with a *.db extension.

2. Cannot connect more than 5 users using 20 licenses

3. ODBC 3.0 and Excel/Text Files HELP ME PLEASE

4. Boolean error

5. import from excel with variable excel files

6. USA-CA-Oracle MFG Apps Programmer/Analyst

7. Help to to import a excel file to SQL 2000

8. File Size mismatch between Explorer & Enterprise Manager

9. VFW 3.0 and import excel 5.0 sheets

10. HELP: importing DbaseIV files to Paradox

11. Paradox 3.0 Tables - Import into Oracle7

12. How to import paradox 7.0 into MS Excel?