PDOXRUN 4.5

Post by Bill Bisgoo » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I'm in the midst of trying to get our laptops to run PDOXRUN.EXE
(Paradox Runtime) on laptops (running DOS 6.22) with more than 16 megs
of memory.  Does anyone know if there are command-line parameters
available to limit the amount of extended memory to 16 megs?  Pdoxrun
gives a GPF on any system running greater than 16 megs.  I know there
are command-line switches for PARADOX.EXE.  Are there also ones for
PDOXRUN.EXE?  Any help is appreciated.

PDOXRUN 4.5

Post by Bill Bisgoo » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

To answer my own question... memory must be limited to below 16 megs.  Do
this by putting -extk 15360 (or less) after the program name.  For
example,
             PARADOX -extk 15360            or...
             PDOXRUN -extk 8192
I've already tested this on laptops using up to 40 megs.  This also works
when running paradox in Windows 95 by limiting the amount of memory (under
properties) available to the DOS shell to 8192.
Hope this helps someone.

Post by Steve Gree » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Pdoxrun gives a GPF on any system running greater than 16 megs.  I know
> there
> are command-line switches for PARADOX.EXE.  Are there also ones for
> PDOXRUN.EXE?

they are exactly the same.. in this case, -extk ####

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

PDOXRUN 4.5

Post by Steve Gree » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> This also works when running paradox in Windows 95 by limiting the amount of
> memory (under properties) available to the DOS shell to 8192.

bad idea.. use the command line switches to work with pdox as needed.. do
*not* mess with the Windows Properties settings..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA

http://www.diamondsg.com

PDOXRUN 4.5

Post by Bill Bisgoo » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Steve-

Would you mind explaining why?  When a company is using an older version of dos to
run over a thousand laptops using PARADOX 4.5 and they are unable to look at and
edit and repair their paradox files on their Windows 95 network machines because
someone, sometime decided that no one would ever have or need more than 16 megs of
memory, it becomes a BIG issue!

-Bill

> > This also works when running paradox in Windows 95 by limiting the amount of
> > memory (under properties) available to the DOS shell to 8192.

> bad idea.. use the command line switches to work with pdox as needed.. do
> *not* mess with the Windows Properties settings..

> --
> Steve Green
> Corel CTech - Paradox
> Diamond Software Group, Inc.
> Waldorf, Maryland  USA

> http://www.diamondsg.com

PDOXRUN 4.5

Post by Steve Gree » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Would you mind explaining why?  When a company is using an older version of dos to
> run over a thousand laptops using PARADOX 4.5 and they are unable to look at and
> edit and repair their paradox files on their Windows 95 network machines because
> someone, sometime decided that no one would ever have or need more than 16 megs of
> memory, it becomes a BIG issue!

let me repeat what I said before, in different words.. use the pdox command line
switches, such as -extk.. do *not* mess with the Windows Properties settings..
anything you need to tell pdox to do, you can do with the command line switches..
FWIW, the same command line will usually work fine under *any* environment.. DOS, Win,
OS2, NT, etc..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

PDOXRUN 4.5

Post by Bill Bisgoo » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Steve-

I see your point but, when someone tells me not to mess with something, my curiosity
peaks.  I will tell you that many of my co-employees have been calling this version of
pdox by limiting the dos shell memory to 8192 instead of creating a shortcut that calls
pdox with the -extk option.... and it has been working successfully for a couple of
years.  Not to beat a dead horse... but, unless you can tell me why NOT to limit mem to
8192 under windows, I don't see any need to change.  I'm not trying to be stubborn, just
logical.  And furthermore, I'm a little tired of trying to deal with so-called experts who
guard the reasons for their "solutions" as though letting someone else know their
reasoning might somehow knock them off their ivory tower.  I'm not implying that you are
such an individual, just that there are many such people out there.  And... I really do
want to know why.  "Because I said so" is not sufficient at least for me.

But thanks for your time and energy.

> > Would you mind explaining why?  When a company is using an older version of dos to
> > run over a thousand laptops using PARADOX 4.5 and they are unable to look at and
> > edit and repair their paradox files on their Windows 95 network machines because
> > someone, sometime decided that no one would ever have or need more than 16 megs of
> > memory, it becomes a BIG issue!

> let me repeat what I said before, in different words.. use the pdox command line
> switches, such as -extk.. do *not* mess with the Windows Properties settings..
> anything you need to tell pdox to do, you can do with the command line switches..
> FWIW, the same command line will usually work fine under *any* environment.. DOS, Win,
> OS2, NT, etc..

> --
> Steve Green
> Corel CTech - Paradox
> Diamond Software Group, Inc.
> Waldorf, Maryland  USA

> http://www.diamondsg.com

PDOXRUN 4.5

Post by Sundial Service » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

My understanding of the situation is that, when you limit the DOS
shell-memory to 8 megs, Paradox thinks it's running on a machine with 8
megs.  When you use "-extk 8192," Paradox knows there's more but stops
looking for more after 8 megs.  Either way you avoid the root cause of
the problem which is essentially an arithmetic overflow in the API that
Paradox for DOS is using.

> Steve-

> I see your point but, when someone tells me not to mess with something, my curiosity
> peaks.  I will tell you that many of my co-employees have been calling this version of
> pdox by limiting the dos shell memory to 8192 instead of creating a shortcut that calls
> pdox with the -extk option.... and it has been working successfully for a couple of
> years.  Not to beat a dead horse... but, unless you can tell me why NOT to limit mem to
> 8192 under windows, I don't see any need to change.  I'm not trying to be stubborn, just
> logical.  And furthermore, I'm a little tired of trying to deal with so-called experts who
> guard the reasons for their "solutions" as though letting someone else know their
> reasoning might somehow knock them off their ivory tower.  I'm not implying that you are
> such an individual, just that there are many such people out there.  And... I really do
> want to know why.  "Because I said so" is not sufficient at least for me.

> But thanks for your time and energy.

> > > Would you mind explaining why?  When a company is using an older version of dos to
> > > run over a thousand laptops using PARADOX 4.5 and they are unable to look at and
> > > edit and repair their paradox files on their Windows 95 network machines because
> > > someone, sometime decided that no one would ever have or need more than 16 megs of
> > > memory, it becomes a BIG issue!

> > let me repeat what I said before, in different words.. use the pdox command line
> > switches, such as -extk.. do *not* mess with the Windows Properties settings..
> > anything you need to tell pdox to do, you can do with the command line switches..
> > FWIW, the same command line will usually work fine under *any* environment.. DOS, Win,
> > OS2, NT, etc..

> > --
> > Steve Green
> > Corel CTech - Paradox
> > Diamond Software Group, Inc.
> > Waldorf, Maryland  USA

> > http://www.diamondsg.com

Quote:> Got Paradox/Delphi database headaches?  ChimneySweep{tm} can help, FAST!
> http://www.sundialservices.com/cs3web.htm

PDOXRUN 4.5

Post by Dave Porte » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

At the risk of beating a dead horse here, I think I have tried running
PdoxDos 4.5 every which way including loose under Win 9x and Win NT. Sorry,
I don't know why it is this way, but the most consistently stable and
reliable and luckily the easiest way I have found to do it is
using a batch file with a line to start pdox as in:
PDOXRUN -extk 12000 -emk 0 -bios -share myscript
then make a shortcut to that batch file and don't change any of the
windoze properties on that shortcut except close on exit and perhaps don't
allow screen saver. With equal to or more than 32 meg in your machine go
ahead and give pdox 12 meg

HTH Dave

PDOXRUN 4.5

Post by Steve Gree » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Not to beat a dead horse... but, unless you can tell me why NOT to limit mem to
> 8192 under windows, I don't see any need to change.  I'm not trying to be stubborn, just
> logical.

see what Mike and Dave posted.. the best bottom line is that the -extk switch is only *part*
of the "proper" command line.. the other stuff can't be replicated in Properties.. and, once
some people get into Properties and start fooling around, they figure that they can go and
fool around some more and make it "better".. quick road to disaster

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

PDOXRUN 4.5

Post by jose per » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

YES U MUST WRITE THIS ON YOUR AUTOEXEC.BAT
SET DPMIMEM=MAXMEM 16000
I AM HAVE LCK PROBLEMS WITH WINDOWS NT IF YOU CAN HELP LET ME NOW PLEASE THIS
HELLO MY NAME IS JUNIOR AND I AM HAVING ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS RUNNING PARADOX
4.0 ON A WINDOW NT SERVER AND AFTER I ERASE THE *.LCK AND THE *.NET FILES I
HAVE NO PROBLEMS AFTER THAT . I WOULD LIKE T O KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY UPDATES OR
ANY SOLUTIONS OR EVER

PDOXRUN 4.5

Post by Steve Gree » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> YES U MUST WRITE THIS ON YOUR AUTOEXEC.BAT
> SET DPMIMEM=MAXMEM 16000

and

Quote:> I AM HAVING ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS RUNNING PARADOX
> 4.0 ON A WINDOW NT SERVER AND AFTER I ERASE THE *.LCK AND THE *.NET FILES I HAVE
> NO PROBLEMS AFTER THAT .

1. Please don't post in all caps.. it means that you are shouting, and it also is
much harder for us to read

2. Please don't post the same question in multiple messages.. the answers will
then also be spread across multiple messages.. and it's really annoying

3. The SET DPMI logic was more appropriate on an old DOS machine.. the proper way
to limit pdoxdos memory is the -extk switch on the pdox command line

4. You seem to be having locking problems of some sort, but if you don't give us
EXACT problem, EXACT context, and EXACT error messages, if any, we can't even
begin to try and help you

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

1. Can't Start PdoxDOS 4.5 or PDOXRUN 4.5

When I try to start PDOX DOS 4.5 or Runtime PDOX 4.5 I get the following
messages:

This machine is a 386, DOS 6.2, HIMEM and EMM386.

Running DPMIINST gives a message that says the Memory Manager is not
compatible with Paradox DPMI manager.

Has anyone run into anything similar?

Wayne

2. reducing data transfer between client and server

3. where can I find PdoxRun 4.5 DOS

4. Potential ODBC Version Conflicts

5. PDOXRUN 4.5 and printer configuration?

6. Corrupt Memo Files

7. Paradox 4.5 for DOS (and PDOXRUN) Problems with NetWare 4.x

8. Name Matchings

9. looking for SQL Server 7.0 Log Shipping on BORK 4.5, BO 4.5, MSDN Universal

10. FS: Crystal Reports Pro 4.5, Standard 4.5

11. Problems with Paradox 4.5 and WINDOWS NT 4.5

12. IMPORT PARADOX FOR DOS V 4.5 INTO PDOXWIN 4.5

13. PDOX 4.5 and 4.5 upgrade...