PdoxDOS 4.5 MultiTable Form Errors

Post by Marlene Penr » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

This is an oldie but goodie, but I can't remember what to do about it.  Have
a client with a PdoxDOS 4.5 app that's been running for 5 years.  One of the
major tables is edited in a WAIT TABLE while some other tables are on the
workspace.  The waitproc has DEPARTFIELD logic that uses these other tables,
for example:

   IF FIELD()=[master field xyz] THEN
      WINDOW SELECT another-table-window
*     MOVETO a field
      Locate something
      WINDOW SELECT the-wait-table-window
      Set a display field value based on what was located
**      WINDOW SELECT the-wait-form-window
   ENDIF

The code works as is.  I now have to change the master form to a
multi-table, multi-page form. I changed to WAIT WORKSPACE.  I now have the
following errors that did not occur before:

If the master record has been modified, the line marked * above fails with
"can't leave the record before posting changes".  If the master record has
not been modified, the line marked ** above fails with "can't toggle to
linked form after starting coedit of master table".  I tried changing the
WINDOW SELECTs to FORMKEY/MOVETO tblname, but that made no difference.  What
is the way out of this?  I know I've run into it before, but I'm stumped
and/or senile!  Thanks in advance for your help.

Marlene Penry

Post by Steve Gree » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> The code works as is.  I now have to change the master form to a
> multi-table, multi-page form. I changed to WAIT WORKSPACE.  I now have the
> following errors that did not occur before:

you have those new errors because of the master/detail relationship.. no way to
avoid it.. with a single table, the WINDOW SELECT is the way to avoid those type
of errors.. with the master/detail, you can't..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

PdoxDOS 4.5 MultiTable Form Errors

Post by John Lope » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Did you try ending your edit/coedit then moving and going back into
edit/coedit mode?

Quote:>This is an oldie but goodie, but I can't remember what to do about it.

Post by Steve Gree » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Did you try ending your edit/coedit then moving and going back into
> edit/coedit mode?

that's exactly what she *doesn't* want to do

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

PdoxDOS 4.5 MultiTable Form Errors

Post by Lee Mo » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I wrote a whole bunch of code and put it in a "bookmark" procedure.
It saves the names of the active tables, the form names, key field
values, current field names and everything else I could think of that
could be detected and stored in a variable, then do what I have to do,
then put it all back the way it was with a "restore bookmark"
procedure.

I've often thought of updating it using the COPYTOARRAY,
GETATTRIBUTES, and SAVEVARS commands, but I never seem to have time.

That allows me to get around the way things change whenever I mess up
the sort order of something, or go off to do a query.  When I saw your
question, I was thinking a similar set of procedures could copy the
current record your user is changing before he gets to do anything,
and then you can POSTRECORD FORCEPOST without qualms because if you
then check and find it's not right, you can change it back and not
lose data.  Of course, if he's allowed to change a key field, then
another record (that you hadn't saved) could be wiped out and there
wouldn't be much you could do about it without massive table copying
that would really slow your application down.

Lee

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:01:13 -0500, "John Loper"

>Did you try ending your edit/coedit then moving and going back into
>edit/coedit mode?

>>Have a client with a PdoxDOS 4.5 app that's been running for 5 years.
>>One of the major tables is edited in a WAIT TABLE while some other tables
>>are on the workspace.  The waitproc has DEPARTFIELD logic that uses
>>these other tables, for example:

>>   IF FIELD()=[master field xyz] THEN
>>      WINDOW SELECT another-table-window
>>*     MOVETO a field
>>      Locate something
>>      WINDOW SELECT the-wait-table-window
>>      Set a display field value based on what was located
>>**      WINDOW SELECT the-wait-form-window
>>   ENDIF

>>The code works as is.  I now have to change the master form to a
>>multi-table, multi-page form. I changed to WAIT WORKSPACE.  I now have the
>>following errors that did not occur before:

>>If the master record has been modified, the line marked * above fails with
>>"can't leave the record before posting changes".  If the master record has
>>not been modified, the line marked ** above fails with "can't toggle to
>>linked form after starting coedit of master table".  I tried changing the
>>WINDOW SELECTs to FORMKEY/MOVETO tblname, but that made no difference.
>>What is the way out of this?

>>Marlene Penry

1. Upgrading from pdoxdos 4.0 to pdoxdos 4.5

: Has anyone out there ever tried transferring/running programs written in
: dos 4.0 to dos 4.5 version ? And if so, are there going to be any pain in
: restructuring the whole process ? Or is the upgrading a smooth process ?

As far as I know there should be no changes necesary unless you still
have scripts using the 3.X compatibility mode.

--
+============================================================================+

|| Pretty good Paradox for Windows Programmer, self-proclaimed Treknologist ||
|| [  the rest of this sig is under construction until further notice...  ] ||
+============================================================================+

2. I need help BADLY!!!!

3. Can't Start PdoxDOS 4.5 or PDOXRUN 4.5

4. Ingres Code Management

5. Table Full error message on PdoxDos 4.5

6. Auto Shrink and creating Tables

7. PdoxDOS 4.5 Date Grouping Error

8. I104 error in PdoxDOS 4.5

9. Error 0 Pdoxdos 4.5

10. PDOXDOS 4.5: Query causing an error: WHY????

11. PDOXDOS 4.5 Stack Errors -- Help!

12. Update to VB3 to access PDOXDOS 4.5