Coping Master table field entry to Detail table field entry

Coping Master table field entry to Detail table field entry

Post by Rick Web » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have a law enforcement evidence tracking application which is made up of
a Master table (where the suspect personal address, citation number, etc.
information is entered) and then a detail table (where the seized equipment
articles are entered).

I use a citation number (L-01111) as the primary key field to link the two.
 When I arrive at the detail table to enter the numerous items I manually
enter the same citation number from the Master table (while adding a 001)
incrementally to each additional item (example - L-0111-001 as the first
item, then L-0111-002 as the second, and so on.  These become evidence tag
numbers for inventory purposes).

Is there a way to have the detail table copy the citation number
automatically from the Master table  "CitNo#"  field down into the detail
table "CitNo#"  field, and additionally add (if possible) the needed "-001"
behind that number?   The problem is I have officers put evidence tag
numbers of all descriptions in this field of the detail table and I'd like
to control that and have the application automatically enter the needed
sequence without need for officer entry in this field.

Thanks for any help you could spare me with this problem.

Coping Master table field entry to Detail table field entry

Post by Michael Irwi » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

restructure the detail table so that the inventory number is a second key
field. With both master and detail on a form and linked as such, new records
added to the detail will automatically get the Master's (single field) primary
key as the occupant of the first field of their primary key

Mike

> I have a law enforcement evidence tracking application which is made up of
> a Master table (where the suspect personal address, citation number, etc.
> information is entered) and then a detail table (where the seized equipment
> articles are entered).

> I use a citation number (L-01111) as the primary key field to link the two.
>  When I arrive at the detail table to enter the numerous items I manually
> enter the same citation number from the Master table (while adding a 001)
> incrementally to each additional item (example - L-0111-001 as the first
> item, then L-0111-002 as the second, and so on.  These become evidence tag
> numbers for inventory purposes).

> Is there a way to have the detail table copy the citation number
> automatically from the Master table  "CitNo#"  field down into the detail
> table "CitNo#"  field, and additionally add (if possible) the needed "-001"
> behind that number?   The problem is I have officers put evidence tag
> numbers of all descriptions in this field of the detail table and I'd like
> to control that and have the application automatically enter the needed
> sequence without need for officer entry in this field.

> Thanks for any help you could spare me with this problem.

1. W4GL (2.0) Table Fields - Entry Fields

Well, my table field just about works - I can select into a table field
and display a list of entry fields - just one problem - no matter how
I define the format string, variable type, etc. it only displays one
character in each cell - which I can scroll through to read the whole
string.  How do I create an EntryField in a script to be more than one
character wide???

Cheers

David
--

Tel:    +44 (0)191 374 2573              Science Labs, South Road,
Fax:    +44 (0)191 374 2560              Durham, DH1 3LE, UK

2. Moving the Transaction Log to a Separate Device

3. coded entry over password entry field

4. TCP/IP Networking

5. DBase Tables and Master detail on multiple fields

6. segmentation violation on O.L.7.12

7. Calculated field with Master/Detail tables???

8. IIS4 not connecting to SQL database

9. Field entry limited to lookup table records?

10. Upper limit on table field entries, etc.

11. DBGrid in Master-Detail Data Entry

12. Simulation of Master-Detail data entry screen forms usin FoxPro

13. Incorrect Backupserver entry in sysservers system table in master database