PDOXDOS 4.5 UNDER Win2K

Post by David Ra » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:03:57

I'm running PDOXDOS 4.5 under Windows 2K at about 10 or so sites (am in the
processing of rewriting app, but have to get by till finished at yearend).
Anyway, in some of these sites we seem to have incidents where users just
get bumped out of paradox for no apparent reason.  No error message,
nothing.

I recognize there are likely some incompatibilities we have to live with;
however, is there any information about KNOWN problems and workarounds for
them?  This app works fine under NT 4.

TIA

David Ray
Frontier Medical Systems

PDOXDOS 4.5 UNDER Win2K

Post by Dave Porte » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:46:34

"David Ray" wrote

Quote:> I'm running PDOXDOS 4.5 under Windows 2K at about 10 or so sites (am in
the
> processing of rewriting app, but have to get by till finished at yearend).
> Anyway, in some of these sites we seem to have incidents where users just
> get bumped out of paradox for no apparent reason.  No error message,
> nothing.
> I recognize there are likely some incompatibilities we have to live with;
> however, is there any information about KNOWN problems and workarounds for
> them?  This app works fine under NT 4.

Unfortunately, this is one of the KNOWN problems with pdoxdos 4.5 and Win2k
with no known workaround!

Have you installed the service packs to win 2000? Does your computer have
256mb or more memory? Those things may help a little...
Try adding  the  -NOREALHEAP switch to your command line and try it both
with and without the -BIOS switch. I personally think M$ purposefully made
Win2k a hostile environment for 16bit programs...
Pdoxdos 4.5 runs good^ on NT and XP....(which IMO, supports my theory)

I've never had more than marginal luck with pdoxdos4.5 on 2k after messing
with it for a long time, so I just won't use it in a live fire situation,
too much potential for catastrophe.. One of the guys in my office (who is
rewriting our app) says he has it running acceptably on Win2k, I'll ask him
what he's doing...

Dave

^ except shelling to dos with RUN - this disclaimer provided under the terms
of agreement I have with Steve G    ;>)

PDOXDOS 4.5 UNDER Win2K

Post by Steven Gree » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:50:32

> Anyway, in some of these sites we seem to have incidents where users just
> get bumped out of paradox for no apparent reason.  No error message,
> nothing.

as Dave Porter said, this is a known problem with W2K, and there is no
workaround.. the only Win versions that always work with PdoxDOS are 95 and
98..

Quote:> This app works fine under NT 4.

which means your app doesn't rely on "shell-to-DOS" functions to work..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

PDOXDOS 4.5 UNDER Win2K

Post by Tucke » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:20:35

Quote:> as Dave Porter said, this is a known problem with W2K, and there is no
> workaround.. the only Win versions that always work with PdoxDOS are 95
and
> 98..

Actually, I have been running it under WinXP Pro for about 8 months...as a
stand alone it works flawlessly...BUT if I access it concurrently from my

the DOS version must exit PdoxDOS completely and then I can work her files
w/o problems...my application is too Byzantine and I'm too lazy to rewrite
in OPAL.

cheers!

PDOXDOS 4.5 UNDER Win2K

Post by David Ra » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:22:37

Thanks, Steve.

You're correct; I worked around the shell to dos a long time ago to avoid
the problem under NT.

Does anyone know what the nature of the Win2K problem is and why it happens
only on some workstations?

Post by Steven Gree » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:55:00

> Does anyone know what the nature of the Win2K problem is and why it happens
> only on some workstations?

historically, it happens on *most* W2K machines.. you're just lucky that so far
it's only *some* machines <g>.. then there's the "mouse GP" problem that you've
managed to avoid so far.. get away from W2K if you're gonna keep running those
PdoxDOS apps.. the next time it aborts might be the time it destroys
something..

--

Post by Steven Gree » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:56:57

> BUT if I access it concurrently from my PdoxWin 9.0 on my other XP machine my
> tables get corrupted.

actual table damage, or the common "table and index" problem?.. can you give
exact details of context and errors?

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

PDOXDOS 4.5 UNDER Win2K

Post by David Ra » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:28:05

Well, I have to get by until yearend at least .. till my new software is
ready.  But it does create a bit of a problem in that I continue to have to
install new workstations for existing customers and I really don't want to
be installing NT for them...

I'm wondering if this problem is known to be other applications, as well --
such that a future W2K Service Pack might address it?

Thanks

Post by Steven Gree » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 00:09:27

> I'm wondering if this problem is known to be other applications, as well --

can't give you any specifics, but the odds are.. yes..

Quote:> such that a future W2K Service Pack might address it?

W2K is now three versions old.. you can't expect any more upgrades to it.. and
this is the type of thing that, if they intended to fix it, it would have been
done long ago..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

PDOXDOS 4.5 UNDER Win2K

Post by Tucke » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 06:10:33

Well, the girl on the DOS machine starts to notice records missing and when
I run Tutility it reports(something like) "I/O errors rebuild necessary" and
the repair utility in PdoxWin reports "B-tree errors..."
I rebuild, import all records from yesterdays backup and I'm back in
business...actually, unless I get careless and access her files, the problem
never arises.  But, I sure miss the concurrency available when my system was
running under Win98...   :(

I think it may have something to do with the table locking(auto) because I
don't do any of that explicitly...
or someone advised ALWAYS put record fields into a multi-record or table
view form...naturally I didn't!  and I'm working on a new form to plug that
hole now...

BTW...if I use PdoxWin to repair the tables, all the forms(DOS) are
corrupted and have to be repaired, so I NEVER repair except with
Tutility(DOS).

If you have any ideas, I'd love to try them

> > BUT if I access it concurrently from my PdoxWin 9.0 on my other XP
machine my
> > tables get corrupted.

> actual table damage, or the common "table and index" problem?.. can you
give
> exact details of context and errors?

PDOXDOS 4.5 UNDER Win2K

Post by Michael Kenned » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 04:07:19

Steve,

Quote:> W2K is now three versions old.. you can't expect any more upgrades to it..
and
> this is the type of thing that, if they intended to fix it, it would have
been
> done long ago..

I think a beta of SP3 has been out for a number of months (as well as the
hundreds of patches forming SP3 - available individually), and I recently
saw some reports that the full official SP3 will be released very shortly.

  - Mike

PDOXDOS 4.5 UNDER Win2K

Post by Steven Gree » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 04:29:48

> and I recently saw some reports that the full official SP3 will be released
> very shortly.

I sit corrected <smile>

--

Post by Steven Gree » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 04:39:25

> Well, the girl on the DOS machine starts to notice records missing and when I
> run Tutility it reports(something like) "I/O errors rebuild necessary" and the
> repair utility in PdoxWin reports "B-tree errors..."  I rebuild, import all
> records from yesterdays backup and I'm back in business...actually, unless I
> get careless and access her files, the problem never arises.

well, any number of things can be happening here..

first, and foremost, if you do a rebuild, then ADD from the backup, the odds are
the problem is already in the backup, and you're passing it back to the good
table.. one thing you might want to do is export to ascii, make a new table
(don't Borrow) and import from the ascii..

and I must point out that a rebuild is *not* a guarantee.. things can go wrong
that can't be fixed..

as for the pdox9 access.. if you've got linked lookup tables in the DOS app, the
"alias" logic isn't gonna mesh with that.. pdoxdos and pdoxwin can co-exist, but
the systems must function in a way that *both* systems respect..

Quote:> I think it may have something to do with the table locking(auto) because I
> don't do any of that explicitly... or someone advised ALWAYS put record fields
> into a multi-record or table view form...naturally I didn't!

I see.. you ignore all the rules and wonder why it breaks <g>

Quote:> BTW...if I use PdoxWin to repair the tables, all the forms(DOS) are corrupted
> and have to be repaired, so I NEVER repair except with Tutility(DOS).

duh! <g>.. the Win repair doesn't attempt to keep the DOS file family in synch..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

PDOXDOS 4.5 UNDER Win2K

Post by Lorrin Moor » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 06:45:21

If you get that "corrupt or out of date form" after repairing with 3rd
party utils, you can generally just restructure and sync them back up.

Quote:Tucker wrote...

--
Lorrin Moore (filter the spam to reply)
______________________________________

http://www.thedbcommunity.com/support/
         for Paradox? support

PDOXDOS 4.5 UNDER Win2K

Post by Steven Gree » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 05:06:49

> If you get that "corrupt or out of date form" after repairing with 3rd
> party utils, you can generally just restructure and sync them back up.

correct.. guess I should have said that, too..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

1. Upgrading from pdoxdos 4.0 to pdoxdos 4.5

: Has anyone out there ever tried transferring/running programs written in
: dos 4.0 to dos 4.5 version ? And if so, are there going to be any pain in
: restructuring the whole process ? Or is the upgrading a smooth process ?

As far as I know there should be no changes necesary unless you still
have scripts using the 3.X compatibility mode.

--
+============================================================================+

|| Pretty good Paradox for Windows Programmer, self-proclaimed Treknologist ||
|| [  the rest of this sig is under construction until further notice...  ] ||
+============================================================================+

2. US-CO-Foxpro Programmer/Administrators - Full Time

3. Can't Start PdoxDOS 4.5 or PDOXRUN 4.5

4. postgresql code

5. Update to VB3 to access PDOXDOS 4.5

6. Top Databases

7. PdoxDOS 4.5 MultiTable Form Errors

8. informix, linux and beowulf

9. pdoxdos 4.5 run under win2000

10. WinXP/PdoxWIN 9.0 to DOS 6.22/PdoxDOS 4.5

11. PDOXDOS 4.5 and Win2000

12. Table Full error message on PdoxDos 4.5

13. command line parameter PdoxDOS 4.5