Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

Post by Neithamm » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:13:35

What problems am I likely to encounter running Pdox DOS 4.02 on Win XP
workstations?  We're successfully running our Pdox DOS 4.02 app on a Novell
network with Win95 & Win98 workstations.  The Win 95 workstations are going to
be replaced with Win XP workstations soon, and my preliminary test running on
an XP machine went well (successfully printed to the screen and to the printer
using readme.com).

Nancy Neithammer

Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

Post by Dave Porte » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 02:14:55

Nancy,
Assuming you don't do a lot of heavy lifting by shelling to DOS via RUN, I'm
thinking you are going to be ok. (I think Mike Kennedy has even figured out
a good way to RUN). Did your testing include attaching to your Novell Server
and using shared data on that server? If not, you better test that, too! If
I remember correctly, the Microsoft client for Novell stuck a line in
config.nt about netbios that slowed everything to a crawl until I deleted
it..
With any change, be sure to have good daily backups (or more often until you
know its working).
I have a site with a Novell server and probably 25 machines running our big
ol' pdoxdos runtime 4.5 app, some machines win9x some dos (believe it or
not) and some XP, 7 days a week, 12 hrs a day....
Dave

Quote:> What problems am I likely to encounter running Pdox DOS 4.02 on Win XP
> workstations?  We're successfully running our Pdox DOS 4.02 app on a
Novell
> network with Win95 & Win98 workstations.  The Win 95 workstations are
going to
> be replaced with Win XP workstations soon, and my preliminary test running
on
> an XP machine went well (successfully printed to the screen and to the
printer
> using readme.com).

> Nancy Neithammer

Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

Post by Steven Gree » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 02:55:48

> (I think Mike Kennedy has even figured out a good way to RUN).

unfortunately, no.. he and Larry have done extensived experiments trying to
introduce a "better" command or cmd prompt for the RUN, but no luck..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

Post by Steven Gree » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 02:57:26

> an XP machine went well (successfully printed to the screen and to the printer
> using readme.com).

if that's the extend of your "shell-to-dos" stuff, and it works, then you'll
probably be ok.. but most everything with "RUN" beyond that *won't* work right..
just proceed with caution..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links
Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

Post by Neithamm » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:33:01

Dave-
Thanks for your quick reply!  I did do a brief test updating data on the
server, and also set up a multi-user conflict, trying to change the same record
another user had changed in coedit but not saved.  This all seemed to work
fine.  I didn't notice a speed problem, either.
Nancy

Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

Post by Neithamm » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:58:56

Steve-
Thanks for your help!  I ran a search on the scripts for the RUN command, and
I'll test the scripts that use it.  Assuming the tests go ok, am I fairly safe
to assume it will run consistantly, or does the RUN command give intermittant
errors?
Nancy

Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

Post by Steven Gree » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 04:38:48

> Thanks for your help!  I ran a search on the scripts for the RUN command, and
> I'll test the scripts that use it.  Assuming the tests go ok, am I fairly safe
> to assume it will run consistantly, or does the RUN command give intermittant
> errors?

I can't answer that any better thaq you can.. it depends on what your doing under
there.. readme.com seems to work.. pkzip won't work.. you might be using some old
DOS command that won't work.. you might be using some old exe that I know nothing
about.. etc, etc, etc.. and I'm sure there are things on the import/export that
haven't been fully explored, maybe some things involving floppies.. etc, etc,
etc..

I have no idea what your app does, or how it does it.. all I can say is.. test
*everything*.. and test it *before* you get slammed into XP, not after..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links
Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

Post by Michael Kenned » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 05:25:01

Steve,

Quote:> > (I think Mike Kennedy has even figured out a good way to RUN).

> unfortunately, no.. he and Larry have done extensived experiments trying
> introduce a "better" command or cmd prompt for the RUN, but no luck..

Dunno about Larry...but...

My client has gone LIVE with W2K, running under Terminal-Server, typically
5-10 remote heavy (ya know what I mean !) users. The remotes are using only
64k+64k direct ISDN. The T-S PC runs into a Novell file/print server, but
the client plans to transfer these services to the T-S system itself,
thereby eliminating much "LAN" traffic for the remote users. We might then
move all the local users also to T-S, after which the LAN traffic will be
decimated !!!. The app is quite large, based on WP-PRO. There are about 20
local users also. I can dig out nos of scripts, procs, lines, LIB sizes,
etc, if that's of any interest. There's significant RUN activity, exporting,
importing, etc, also. Based on error logs, and dump analyses, the remote
users have had fewer abends than the local ones - 2 x ZZZ files in about 2
weeks of usage from the remotes, and perhaps 1 to 3 per day from the locals
!!!!!!!!.

I guess we should "pool" our knowledge of the various W2K issues: I can
remember only the current "major" issue......I think.....

Best regards,
  - Mike

Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

Post by Steven Gree » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 05:33:29

> Dunno about Larry...but...

we're being asked about XP this time, not W2K..

but as for W2K, you're pretty much helping confirm what I already expected.. SP2
and/or SP3 finally eliminated many (hopefully most) of the problems.. but..

Quote:> the remote users have had fewer abends than the local ones - 2 x ZZZ files in
> about 2 weeks of usage from the remotes, and perhaps 1 to 3 per day from the
> locals

several ZZZ aborts every day?.. that's still unacceptable, depending on the
context..

so what have you determined so far about context patterns?

--

Post by Larry DiGiovann » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 05:39:05

> unfortunately, no.. he and Larry have done extensived experiments
> trying to introduce a "better" command or cmd prompt for the RUN,
> but no luck..

I wouldn't call it "extensive" on my part...

--
Larry DiGiovanni
Digico, Inc

Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

Post by Steven Gree » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 05:54:53

> I wouldn't call it "extensive" on my part...

I did.. shut up and nod your head <g>

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

Post by Neithamm » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:53:54

Steve-
I get the message- test, test, test...
Thanks!
Nancy

Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

Post by Michael Kenned » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 05:21:22

Steve,

Quote:> several ZZZ aborts every day?.. that's still unacceptable, depending on
the
> context..

> so what have you determined so far about context patterns?

I have the logs, but not handy at this moment.
  - There are a few "regulars" from WPPRO, which I've never been able to
resolve, but they seem to be innocent enough. Like a reference to an
undefined variable, where the code clearly "should" have it defined...
  - A issue with "PARADOX.DIR", which I also could not resolve, and which I
think we discussed here - about 25 years ago!.
  - One spot in my PAL code where an undefined variable reference is thrown
up, but the few previous lines use the variable !!!. I've grown accustomed
to it !!!.
  - Perhaps one or two other "regulars", but I cannot recall them right now.

Mike

Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

Post by Steven Gree » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 05:44:49

>   - There are a few "regulars" from WPPRO, which I've never been able to
> resolve, but they seem to be innocent enough. Like a reference to an undefined
> variable, where the code clearly "should" have it defined...

I haven't touched WPPro in years, either.. as long as they're non-destructive,
I'd move on, too..

Quote:>   - A issue with "PARADOX.DIR", which I also could not resolve, and which I
> think we discussed here - about 25 years ago!.

in the context of the ZZZ file, "paradox.dir" is the lock file.. and the error
will mean that pdox can't open/close the file and/or the directory itself has
disappeared.. in the wrong context, it can create problems.. sometimes for the
*next* session trying to touch something.. it's OS/Hardware related.. opplocks,
write-behind, buffer flushing, etc..

Quote:>   - One spot in my PAL code where an undefined variable reference is thrown
> up, but the few previous lines use the variable !!!. I've grown accustomed
> to it !!!.

that's scary <g>

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

1. Pdox 3.5 vs.Pdox 4.02 vs. Pdox 4.5

I am about ready to convert my Pdox 3.5 applications to a more stable DOS
version 4.xx version. I have seen various discussion on the differences between
versions 4.02 and 4.5. Considering that my overall goal is to keep my
applications as intact as possible (over 10,000 lines), what should I use? I
hear that 4.5 is *too* different ... requiring major rewrites of applications.
Is 4.02 *perfectly* compatible with 3.5 (OK, *reasonably* compatible!)? Any
reasons to stay with 3.5 versus 4.02? My applications run on Windows 95/98
machines but many of the tables reside on an NT network.

Any input would be most appreciated.
Thank you,
Mark Lyons

2. Oracle

3. TKMenu substitute for PDOX DOS 4.02?

4. How do I get SQL Server to see a network drive?

5. PDOX DOS 4.02 Print File question

6. Accesing Modules

7. Pdox 4.02 DOS - File Locking Problem - Steve Green

8. Tool to edit stored procedures

9. Help Dos Pdox 4.02 Application Workshop

10. LABELS PDOX 4.02 DOS

11. HELP: Paradox 4.02 DOS app WON'T work under Win95 version B computer

12. Windows XP and Paradox 4.02

13. Question: pdox(dos) vs. pdox(win)