Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Post by Rez Manzoor » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00



Knowing absolutely * all about databases in general, and even less
about Paradox 3.5 (DOS), I hope one of you guys out there can help me.

My father's business relies on his old Paradox 3.5 (DOS) database. He used
to run this under Win 3.11 on an old 386. About two years ago I managed to
set him up on a Pentium 90 and Win 95.

His records consist of Customer details, vehicle details, service history
etc. I believe someone may even have written scripts which extracted
specific data from the database, such as reminders to be sent out to
customers who's vehicle's are due their annual inspection.

Whilst we managed to get the system to work, I think I would be much happier
if he was working in an all windows environment.

I'll admit again, I know less than nothing about databases, so if these are
dumb
questions, then please bear with me.

1. Is there a Win95 release of Paradox that can read his database in with
the minimum of fuss?

2. Is such a task even possible?

I'm thinking along the lines of basically installing Paradox version
whatever, reading in his database and off he goes!

Like I say, these are probably pretty dumb questions.

If the above seems pretty far fetched, then any clues on what is likely to
be involved to get him going?

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

--
---------------------
Rez Manzoori
(http://www.veryComputer.com/)
-Roller - Angel Squadron
ICQ#17763861

 
 
 

Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Post by Steve Gree » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00



> My father's business relies on his old Paradox 3.5 (DOS) database. He
> used
> to run this under Win 3.11 on an old 386. About two years ago I
> managed to
> set him up on a Pentium 90 and Win 95.

First off, you shouldn't be using PdoxDOS 3.x under Windows.. you should
be using PdoxDOS 4.02.. 3.x doesn't run properly under Windows, and you
stand a strong chance of ruining your tables, eventually, because of
this..

Quote:> 1. Is there a Win95 release of Paradox that can read his database in
> with
> the minimum of fuss?

No.. PdoxWIN can read the tables, but not the code, forms, and reports..
it's a total re-write..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA


 
 
 

Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Post by Michael Kenned » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Windows versions of Paradox, and Delphi, and other products, can operate on
your existing tables. However, any "scripts" will have to be re-written for
whatever product you choose.

You could also leave the app as-is, but switch to DOS Paradox 4.02, which is
much happier running under windows than 3.5, and your scripts should run
unchanged.

 - Mike

 
 
 

Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Post by Rez Manzoor » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Steve and Michael,

Thank you both for your replies. The change to at least version 4.02 seems
to be a definite priority!

Any clues whether version 4.02 is available anywhere? The British computer
press lists at best Paradox v7.

Thanks again!

--
---------------------
Rez Manzoori
(http://www.Manzoori.Demon.Co.UK)
-Roller - Angel Squadron
ICQ#17763861


>Windows versions of Paradox, and Delphi, and other products, can operate on
>your existing tables. However, any "scripts" will have to be re-written for
>whatever product you choose.

>You could also leave the app as-is, but switch to DOS Paradox 4.02, which
is
>much happier running under windows than 3.5, and your scripts should run
>unchanged.

> - Mike

 
 
 

Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Post by Steve Gree » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00



> Any clues whether version 4.02 is available anywhere? The British
> computer
> press lists at best Paradox v7.

If you can find 4.0(anything) or 4.5, I can get you 4.02 legally as an
upgrade or downgrade, accordingly..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA

 
 
 

Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Post by Michael Kenned » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Rez,

You might get a few hits if you try some web searches on "Paradox", "DOS",
"Sales"..... Or maybe Borland/Inprise/Corel can supply 4.5, and you can
arrange the downgrade with Steve,

 - Mike

 
 
 

Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Post by Michael Kenned » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00


Rez,

Someone else posted the following possible source here:

     http://www.wdn.com/ems/oldtools/borpdx.htm

 - Mike

 
 
 

Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Post by Michael Per » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00



Quote:> Rez,

> Someone else posted the following possible source here:

>      http://www.wdn.com/ems/oldtools/borpdx.htm

>  - Mike

The prices for pdox 4.5 for dos at this link seem rather high.  I also
noticed a release of pdox 2 for OS/2.  Can someone comment on this
particular tool?  Was this released as a native OS/2 application long ago
in a galaxy far, far away?  I have noticed that dos releases of pdox seem
to run quite well under OS/2 warp and even have OS/2 cmd files to place
icons on the desktop.  Anyone care to speculate on the affinity between
OS/2 and paradox in the early, glory days?
I imagine that the prices reflect the difficulty in obtaining the
release.  However, I did find pdox 4.5/dos for less at a website
specializing in academic sales.  I remember merely searching for paradox
and was directed to this particular website.
I am interested in the release of pdox for OS/2 from a standpoint of
looking at how well the tool was implemented and whether people still use
that particular release or have moved on.
Thanks for any information or speculation.
--
Michael Perry

-----------------
 
 
 

Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Post by Steve Gree » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00



> I am interested in the release of pdox for OS/2 from a standpoint of

There is no valid reason to use any flavor of v2 for any reason.. it had
very little "linked" capability, no memory mangement as we know it,
etc..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA

 
 
 

Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Post by Michael Per » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00





> > I am interested in the release of pdox for OS/2 from a standpoint of

> There is no valid reason to use any flavor of v2 for any reason.. it had
> very little "linked" capability, no memory mangement as we know it,
> etc..

> --
> Steve Green
> Corel CTech - Paradox
> Diamond Software Group, Inc.
> Waldorf, Maryland  USA


So was version 2 for OS/2 a text or console based application or a PM-
enabled one?  Its kinda interesting across the board because I just
installed pdox 4.5 for dos on a linux system running dosemu and the only
switch I had to use was to install to a network even though my linux box
is not networked.  It actually runs pretty good all considered. Its
rather neat to see a dos application running in a windows on my X
desktop. I also have WABI installed so I can run a lot of the win 3.1
stuff out there.
Does anyone have paradox version 2 for OS/2 running out there?

--
Michael Perry

-----------------

 
 
 

Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Post by Steve Gree » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00



> Does anyone have paradox version 2 for OS/2 running out there?

You aren't listening.. pdoxdos 2 for os2 is still pdoxdos2.. totally
usesless.. in later versions (of pdox *and* of os2) there's a .cmd file
to run pdox in os2.. in any case, it's still essentially the same as any
other version of the same release of pdox..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA

 
 
 

Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Post by Michael Per » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00





> > Does anyone have paradox version 2 for OS/2 running out there?

> You aren't listening.. pdoxdos 2 for os2 is still pdoxdos2.. totally
> usesless.. in later versions (of pdox *and* of os2) there's a .cmd file
> to run pdox in os2.. in any case, it's still essentially the same as any
> other version of the same release of pdox..

> --
> Steve Green
> Corel CTech - Paradox
> Diamond Software Group, Inc.
> Waldorf, Maryland  USA


Not a matter of not listening.  I am just curious whether anyone is
running it.  I like to collect factoids about operating systems and
unusual applications and this seems to be one to me.  The function of
"use" may be different for different people, ImO.

--
Michael Perry

-----------------

 
 
 

Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

Post by Steve Gree » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00



> Not a matter of not listening.  I am just curious whether anyone is
> running it.

I wasn't trying to offend you.. the point is, pdox2 is *very* obsolete
technology.. we're talking 1987 here.. still want to talk to somebody
that's actually using it? <g>

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA