Boston. Need help with Paradox 3.5 - DOS version

Boston. Need help with Paradox 3.5 - DOS version

Post by MBA » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

We need to move a database from an old computer  using Paradox 3.5  (DOS)
We can't remember how to use the program and transfer onto 5.5" disks.

Anyone in the Boston area who can come and help us do this ?

MBA

Boston. Need help with Paradox 3.5 - DOS version

Post by Kasey Chang (fix address before replying to m » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>We need to move a database from an old computer  using Paradox 3.5  (DOS)
>We can't remember how to use the program and transfer onto 5.5" disks.
>Anyone in the Boston area who can come and help us do this ?

Just pkzip the database (*.db) file and any of the files with same
name but different extension) onto disks.

PDOXWIN, Star Trek, Computer Games, Science Fiction, Writing, && more
Commercial use of this e-mail address implies your consent to pay me
amounts of up to US$100.00 per e-mail message from you received by me.

Boston. Need help with Paradox 3.5 - DOS version

Post by Steven Gree » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

MBA: moving the files themselves, as Kasey said, is simple..
just copy everything and move it.. that gets more involved if
you move it to a different "path" and the app was hard-coded
with full and/or specific paths.. or a single user to a network..

Most important, PdoxDOS 3.5 must be run in "real mode" on any
Windows or Win95 machine..

If you don't get any local help, get in touch with me and I'll
help you see if you have any major issues, or merely a short
phone call..

--
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group - Waldorf Maryland USA

and Corel's CTech tech support staffs but I don't represent
Borland International or Corel in any official capacity.

Post by ThynkrT » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

(Kasey Chang (fix address before replying to me!)) writes:

>>We need to move a database from an old computer  using Paradox 3.5  (DOS)
>>We can't remember how to use the program and transfer onto 5.5" disks.
>>Anyone in the Boston area who can come and help us do this ?

>Just pkzip the database (*.db) file and any of the files with same
>name but different extension) onto disks.

Can you split large files across 2 or more 1.2 mb disks with pkzip?  I would
think that if you have the two machines side-by-side, the task would be
simpler, faster and less error prone using LapLink or a similar file managment
utility.

Coincidentally, I just finished doing exactly that (moved Paradox4 + 60 mb app
from 486/50 to P133).  I couldn't imagine using floppies for the job.  For one
thing I have several "history" tables which are nearing 6 mb each (they could
be broken up into floppy-sized chunks, then reassembled, but --
fussy,fussy,fussy).

With LapLink, you just connect the two machines via serial or parallel port,
boot up and run the LL program, select the source directories using a
split-screen, and hit "copy."  It will copy files and subdirectories, create
target dirs for you, verify on the fly etc.  Simple to use, fast, reliable.  I
think I paid about $30 (includes cables) for it some years ago.

--
I don't work at home, I live at the office.
ThynkrToo does not accept mail (spam-bounce) "rknyht" at aol does, but only

1. Paradox Engine 3.5 for DOS help needed!

I am working on some legacy code to resolve Y2K problems.  The code is
written in Turbo Pascal for DOS and uses the PXEngine 3.5.  I have no
docs on the engine and have a few questions, maybe someone can help.

a) What is the layout of the TDATE record?
b) Exactly what does the PXDateEncode function do?  A synopsis of the
function description from the manual would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

2. Reg key to distinguish between MSDE and SQL Server

3. 3.5 PARADOX (DOS) HELP NEED TO FIND RUNTIME DISKS

4. ORA-00604, ORA-01000

5. Help needed with Paradox 3.5 and potential upgrade to Win95 compliant version

6. Simple Recursion Problem

7. Problem with Paradox 3.5 application converted to Paradox 4 (Dos)

8. pgsql/src/interfaces/python Announce

9. Conversion Paradox 3.5 DOS to Paradox 4.5 Windows

10. Converting from Paradox 3.5 for DOS to Paradox 5.0 for Windows

11. Paradox 3.5 Version HELP!!

12. Help! Need local paradox 3.5 consutant asap

13. Need Help: Paradox 3.5 Windows 95 Problems