Delphi and multiuser apps.

Post by Magnus Gaefve » Thu, 16 Feb 1995 01:11:37

--
Will it be possible to develope multiuser applications with the
non-client-server version of Delphi? I haven't really got the

I saw the price $189 for Delphi in this newsgroup. How much for
the client-server version?

    ________________o__________________
   |                 \                 |
   |          Magnus Gaefvert          |
   |          (M.Sc. student)          |

   | Department of Engineering Physics |
   |    Lund Institute of Technology __|
   |           LUND, SWEDEN         | /
   |________________________________|/

Delphi and multiuser apps.

Post by Micah J. Bleech » Fri, 17 Feb 1995 01:48:47

>  --
>  Will it be possible to develope multiuser applications with the
>  non-client-server version of Delphi? I haven't really got the
>  differences between the versions. A multiuser application is
>  not the same as a client-server application. So my guess is
>  that it is possible.

Yes - and client server apps also -

The difference between the two is an unlimited count license to SQL links, interbase
deployment, the SQL version of Reportsmith, Visual Query Builder and Suport for
team development, VCL source (which is VERY HELPFUL! when learning Object
Pascal)

The desktop version can still use SQL links if you buy them separately and of course
ODBC drivers. Both allow you to make calls to the BDE (if you have the
documentation) but in most cases you wont need to to develop robust applications.
The VCL wrappers around the BDE support multiuser quite well for both local and
SQL applications.

Micah

Quote:>  I saw the price $189 for Delphi in this newsgroup. How much for
>  the client-server version?

$1999

;====================================================================

; Database Solutions for Today's Business
; Philadelphia - New York - Washington DC
; (609) 227-0202 (609) 374-1704 fax
;===================================================================

Delphi and multiuser apps.

Post by Kuo-Sheng (Kas » Fri, 17 Feb 1995 14:52:36

: Will it be possible to develope multiuser applications with the
: non-client-server version of Delphi? I haven't really got the
: differences between the versions. A multiuser application is
: not the same as a client-server application. So my guess is
: that it is possible.

As far as I can tell, IDAPI is built-in so all you have to do is switch
the alias definitions, and voila!  Multi-user.

: I saw the price $189 for Delphi in this newsgroup. How much for
: the client-server version?

Intro price in US is $149.  C/S version, with comes with Full version of
Interbase for your choice of server, is about $2000 US.

--
+============================================================================+

|| Pretty good Paradox for Windows Programmer, self-proclaimed Treknologist ||
|| [  the rest of this sig is under construction until further notice...  ] ||
+============================================================================+

1. MultiUser Delphi App Using Paradox - Help !

        I have written a multi user commercial application in Delphi and in
testing was bemused by the way that Paradox tables and Delphi seem to
co-operate.  The scenario is that I have a simple Paradox table, the
shared data being accessed is on a Netware LAN where all users have
full access rights, users are mapped to the data area ( which is also
doubling as the NET DIR ) using exactly the same drive letter and
directory path ( as required by IDAPI ).  All appears to work OK
except that when a user updates a table using a TTable.Post, the
change to the database does not appear to be physically commited to
disk ( on the server ) until the TTable.Close is called.  I have
tested this out stand-alone, accessing a hard disk and the date and
time stamp of the database file is unchanged until the database is
closed.

        The bottom line is the the record doesnt appear to be committed until
the database is closed !  This obviously cant be right and I must be
doing something extremely simple wrong.  Does anybody have any ideas ?

Regards,

Tom Conway
Technical Manager
Kestral Computing - Perth, Western Australia.

2. Fill up <Option> with a recordset?

3. Multiuser Delphi Apps

4. HELP ABOUT ADO

5. share a paradox file between a delphi app and another app

6. Novice in need of help

7. Can a Delphi 2 App use BDE from Delphi 1

8. -369 error on HP with ESQL

9. Free Delphi Resource, 1,000+ Delphi Apps for Free

10. Delphi or Delphi C/S for network app?

11. Using One user in my multiuser APP

12. Multiuser apps in VB 6.0 Pro

13. Installing Multiuser Access app, HOW?