Calculated field in form, Paradox 4.5 dos

Calculated field in form, Paradox 4.5 dos

Post by Walter Palazz » Wed, 26 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I can't make sense why a calculated field as simple as:

[Sacchi]*IIF([Descrizione]="coccio",50,30)

should smoothly work on my computer but doesn't on a 386 with 8mb. [Sacchi] is
a numeric field, while [Descrizione] is alphanumeric; they are both already
present on the form, which is multirecord. It does its job on my computer but
when I transfer it on this 386, where the Paradox version in exactly the same,
it crashes with a MakeExprTree error, giving the hint it might be due to a
damaged form. If I try to type in the calculated field directly on that
computer, it gives a syntax error on the above formula. Any idea ?

Post by Andrew Stevens » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I can't make sense why a calculated field as simple as:

> [Sacchi]*IIF([Descrizione]="coccio",50,30)

> should smoothly work on my computer but doesn't on a 386 with 8mb. [Sacchi] is
> a numeric field, while [Descrizione] is alphanumeric; they are both already
> present on the form, which is multirecord. It does its job on my computer but
> when I transfer it on this 386, where the Paradox version in exactly the same,
> it crashes with a MakeExprTree error, giving the hint it might be due to a
> damaged form. If I try to type in the calculated field directly on that
> computer, it gives a syntax error on the above formula. Any idea ?

I can't understand why it should work on one computer and not on
another.

Have you tried rebuilding the table with tutility.  I don't know whether
that would solve the problem, but I can't think of much else.  I presume
as you say you've tried to type in the calculated field that you've
tried
deleting the form and recreating it.

When I get syntax errors on calculated fields like this and I can't
simply
spot the error straight away, I try the various elements individually -
i.e. you could try the following calculated fields to see if you can
narrow
down where the syntax error lies:

[Sacchi]*50
[Sacchi]*30
IIF([Descrizione]="coccio","yes it is equal","no it isn't")
IIF([Descrizione]="coccio",50,30)

etc  or you could try a spot of overkill along the lines of
NUMVAL([Sacchi])*NUMVAL(IIF(STRVAL([Descrizione])="coccio",50,30))

But if if works on one computer and not the other, that's odd.

Hope this helps

--
Andrew

1. calculated field using record num in report problem with 4.5 dos

I need to create a calculated field in a report that maps record 1 to 120, 2
to 130, 4 to 140 and so on.  When I try use the record number [#], Paradox
will not accept it and gives me an error message.  The calc'd field should
have looked like this "10*[#]+110" to perform as wished.  It is just the
reference to the record number that is hosing me up.  Any ideas?

2. DTS to Excel - numeric values problem

3. paradox 4.5 for dos forms

4. making one column hold the same information as another column in the same table?

5. IMPORT PARADOX FOR DOS V 4.5 INTO PDOXWIN 4.5

6. FAQ - etiquette - and how to get an answer.

7. HELP! - DOS GP errors-Paradox 4.5 for DOS

8. FTP Through Web Wizard

9. Paradox 4.5 for DOS and Windows 95 DOS 7.x

10. GPF 11d4 at Paradox:68:02c4 Paradox DOS ver 4.5

11. Converting, Importing, or Updating Paradox 4.5 for DOS Scripts to Paradox 5 for Win

12. Paradox DOS 4.0/4.5 to Paradox for Windows

13. Paradox 4.5 dos to Paradox 8