Basic Table Help Needed (P4W)

Post by Nick Pompon » Wed, 03 Aug 1994 04:29:32

I have code attached to a button that runs a query and places the
results in the default ANSWER table.  I want to copy the contents
of this table to Table X that is displayed by a Table Frame in the form.

If I associate the frame with X and try to copy to it from ANSWER
(via either table variables or TCursors), the copy operation fails
(i.e. returns False).  If I delete the table frame and remove X from
the data model, everything runs fine.  Unfortunately, in this case,
I can't display it with a UIObject because it's not in the data model.

I've looked through the manuals and there is precious little info
regarding how Paradox considers a table "open".  Is any table in the
data model automatically opened when the form runs?  If so, how can
I copy the results of a query to a table I wish to display?

Thanks.

Basic Table Help Needed (P4W)

Post by Kuo-Sheng (Kas » Sat, 06 Aug 1994 14:07:14

: I have code attached to a button that runs a query and places the
: results in the default ANSWER table.  I want to copy the contents
: of this table to Table X that is displayed by a Table Frame in the form.

: If I associate the frame with X and try to copy to it from ANSWER
: (via either table variables or TCursors), the copy operation fails
: (i.e. returns False).  If I delete the table frame and remove X from
: the data model, everything runs fine.  Unfortunately, in this case,
: I can't display it with a UIObject because it's not in the data model.

: I've looked through the manuals and there is precious little info
: regarding how Paradox considers a table "open".  Is any table in the
: data model automatically opened when the form runs?  If so, how can
: I copy the results of a query to a table I wish to display?

Yes, any table in a data model of a form or report currently on the
desktop is considered OPEN, even if the form/report's in edit mode.

What you need to do is use the query to directly dump the answer into
table X.  You can specify the destination table in "Answer Table...".
Then after the query executes you can open the tableframe on the
destination table.

||   (the rest of this .sig is under construction...)                       ||

1. Need help with lists (P4W)

I am trying to set up a simple application involving a two-field table and
two lists.  I call the lists List_1 and List_2, and the fields in the table
are Item (alphanumeric) and Tag (integer, 1 or 2).

THE DESIRED EFFECT:

List_1 displays the Item field of those records whose Tag field value is
1.  Likewise, List_2 displays the Item field of those records whose Tag
field is 2. (Note: I can't even get this far!)  When a user double-clicks
on an entry in List_1, the corresponding tag changes to 2, and it
"disappears" from List_1 and "appears" in List_2.  Likewise for double-
clicking on an entry in List_2.

THE PROBLEM:

I don't know what I'm doing, and I am having semantic convulsions.  I
had hoped that I could use setFilter somehow, and have tried using
TCursors toward that end.  I can "bind" a TCursor (declared in the
form's var section) to a table via open, but I can't "bind" it to a list
field via attach.  I don't fully understand what "binding" means (e.g.
the ObjectPAL Reference Manual says that a UIObject can be attached
to itself!?!)

In addition to the reference manual, I also have "Programming Paradox
4.5 for Windows", but I can't find the type of details I need for this
problem.

I believe that I could achieve the desird effect by executing scan
loops that rebuild the lists each time a double-click event occurs.
Unfortunately, the table will contain several hundred records, and I'm
afraid that this approach would make the application too sluggish.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Novato

3. P4W: Need Help PARSING fields

4. sp too long? what is option?

5. Need BASIC Programming HELP-Co Posting to Another Table

6. US, PA, Philly: Senior Level Oracle Financials long term contract

7. P4W 1.0 Please Help: Coloring fields in table views

8. help: how to undelete mysql records?

9. Please help: Basic help on SQL 6.5 need

10. Help Help Need to copy a field from one table into another table

11. Sorry-Addition to Help need basic Programming Help

12. P4W: Help on Help.

13. Need Info: Delphi, P4W