changing datamodel

Post by Jim Sisc » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Is it possible to change a datamodel without having to re-write a report or
form ?
For example   the datamodel is :work:journal.db
       I wanted to change it to     :variable:journal.db

the :variable: would be a path that I would be able to change at any time.

I am working with several clients.  They each have their own directory and
they each have exactly the same databases in their directory.  I have been
copying their databases to a directory that stores all of my forms and
reports.  This method works but it is slow.
If I could just allow the forms and reports to remain in the working
directory,  but have the datamodel change as I change clients,  that would
make things a lot more efficient for me.

the variable might read  D:\1998 books\mrjones

then I could change it to  D:\1998 books\mrsmith

Jim Sisco

changing datamodel

Post by Michael Juul Hanse » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

You can use the ReportPrintInfo or ReportOpenInfo records

var
    rpt     Report
    rpi     ReportPrintInfo
endVar

rpi.masterTable = ":Alias:NameOfTable"  ;// String Specifies the name of the
master table for the report
rpi.Name = ":Alias:NameOfReport"

rpt.DesignModified = False

if not rpt.print(rpi) then errorShow() return endIf

--
Michael

1. PDXWIN5.0; OPAL Changing DataModel

Hi all.  The situation is this:

A department had two tables that had a master-child relationship.  They
were HUGE.  For performance reasons they broke this table into 16
master-child pairs, for a total of 32 tables.  Of course, these tables
have the same structure as the originals.  This is done, and they will
not undo it.

I have a form with 16 buttons on it, where the user can press on the
button representing which table pair they want to view.

I want to design a form whose data model is changed on the fly by this
first form using OPAL, which displays one master record and a
table-object showing detail records.  This form will have heavy
customization of fonts, frames, colors, etc.  Could someone post/email
a code snippet for doing this?

By the way, the strategy of basing the form on a query result is much
too slow.

Thanks in advance if you can tell me how to do this.  I could hammer it
out; but this needs to get done soon and I'm already working overtime
on another project all through the Thanksgiving holiday. :(
--
John Baker
"What the hell does that mean?  Huh?  'China is here.'?

2. Incorrect recordset causing infinite loop

3. Help pls..Datamodel change control

4. Further zip + 4 problems

5. Change ALIAS in DataModel

6. SQL Parser

7. How to change db dir in datamodel?

8. Importing to new datamodel

9. SQL datamodel genealogy family tree

10. JApplet vs filesystem on server as datamodel ???

12. PDOX 5-report: 2 pages on 2 sheet with multi table datamodel