Dos Paradox (4.0) vs Win Paradox 8 : Performance

Dos Paradox (4.0) vs Win Paradox 8 : Performance

Post by Ton » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
Could I once again tap into the collective knowledge....

I'm trying to convert some scripts onto P8win from Pdos4.0.
(I'm aware that you need to completely rewrite them - thanks to a

Problem is that I can't get the same speed performance from the
objectpal locate as the dos pal locate command.
I have tried putting a secondary index on the field I'm searching for
and using switchindex, but this does not seem to help.

Any advice?

Post by Ken » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

>Problem is that I can't get the same speed performance from the
>objectpal locate as the dos pal locate command.
>I have tried putting a secondary index on the field I'm searching for
>and using switchindex, but this does not seem to help.

I heard that's why stockbrokers stay with DOS programs.

Ken

Post by Sundial Service » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,
> Could I once again tap into the collective knowledge....

> I'm trying to convert some scripts onto P8win from Pdos4.0.
> (I'm aware that you need to completely rewrite them - thanks to a

> Problem is that I can't get the same speed performance from the
> objectpal locate as the dos pal locate command.
> I have tried putting a secondary index on the field I'm searching for
> and using switchindex, but this does not seem to help.

Normally, the QLocate() and SetRange() methods are used to locate values
while exploiting indexes to their fullest advantage.  However, you
should also consider other possibilities that are available in PxWin
that were not feasible in DOS.

For example, queries, or sequences of queries, can retrieve the values
that you want to see and can often replace large amounts of procedural
logic that you had no choice but to use in DOS.

Other concepts, such as "data models," simply did not exist in DOS but
they are easy to use in Windows.

Most of the time, when I'm faced with converting a Paradox for DOS app
to Windows, I find that the DOS application is simply a model.  By the
time we're done, the Windows app is a new program that is merely
database-compatible with the old one.  It is also much smaller and much
simpler.

Post by Steve Gree » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

> Problem is that I can't get the same speed performance from the
> objectpal locate as the dos pal locate command.

in general, locates and queries are not as fast in pdoxwin.. it doesn't
use the indexes as well as pdoxdos..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

Dos Paradox (4.0) vs Win Paradox 8 : Performance

Post by Richard Cart » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

To add to what all the others said, the same locates or queries
or whatever (when properly optimized) run much, much faster
in Delphi, even though both are using the same BDE.  If you're
needing to port to efficient 32-bit programs, consider adding
Delphi to your bag of tools.  Paradox for Windows and Delphi
make a great combination.

Post by Ken » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

> If you're
>needing to port to efficient 32-bit programs, consider adding
>Delphi to your bag of tools.  Paradox for Windows and Delphi
>make a great combination.
>--

OK, clueless question here.  What exactly is Delphi and what is it
used for?

Ken

Post by Sundial Service » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

> > If you're
> >needing to port to efficient 32-bit programs, consider adding
> >Delphi to your bag of tools.  Paradox for Windows and Delphi
> >make a great combination.
> >--

> OK, clueless question here.  What exactly is Delphi and what is it
> used for?

Delphi is, ahh, "Turbo Pascal on steroids."  It is a compiled
programming language which is able to connect to Paradox databases
through the same BDE/IDAPI layer that Paradox itself uses.

Delphi is an extremely well-done language, but I hesitate to say that
you should jump to it if you are experiencing a performance problem!
If you're having a performance problem in Paradox it's probably because
inappropriate and/or inefficient algorithms are being used.

Databases are "I/O bound" applications; they are generally not "CPU
bound."  (This is computerese for "they're probably waiting on the disk
drive, not the chip or the network.")  If you want them to run faster,
you need to find a better algorithm for doing the same job.

[Case in point:  *why* is ChimneySweep? so much faster than TUtility?
Not because the CPU suddenly got faster...  it's because 'Sweep uses a
much more efficient algorithm to reduce the workload on the disk-drive
that made the other approach run slow!  And it's straight out of any
textbook.  Sometimes those books are worth reading.]

Dos Paradox (4.0) vs Win Paradox 8 : Performance

Post by Ken » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

>> OK, clueless question here.  What exactly is Delphi and what is it
>> used for?

>Delphi is, ahh, "Turbo Pascal on steroids."  It is a compiled
>programming language which is able to connect to Paradox databases
>through the same BDE/IDAPI layer that Paradox itself uses.

Ok, so you would use it instead of OPAL?  What are the advantages and
disadvantages?  Let me start...  The disadvantage is you have to learn
a new language.  The advantages are....?

Post by Steve Gree » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

> OK, clueless question here.  What exactly is Delphi and what is it
> used for?

another development platform.. much more powerful (and stable) than
pdoxwin..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

Dos Paradox (4.0) vs Win Paradox 8 : Performance

Post by Ton » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 18 May 1999 16:51:08 -0700, Sundial Services

>> Hello,
>> Could I once again tap into the collective knowledge....

>> I'm trying to convert some scripts onto P8win from Pdos4.0.
>> (I'm aware that you need to completely rewrite them - thanks to a

>> Problem is that I can't get the same speed performance from the
>> objectpal locate as the dos pal locate command.
>> I have tried putting a secondary index on the field I'm searching for
>> and using switchindex, but this does not seem to help.

>Normally, the QLocate() and SetRange() methods are used to locate values
>while exploiting indexes to their fullest advantage.  However, you
>should also consider other possibilities that are available in PxWin
>that were not feasible in DOS.

Qlocate performs adequately - thanks for pointing me in the right
direction. Strange that there is no direct  link to QLocate in the
on-line help when you type in "locate"?  It's also on  the help under
tcursor type.  How did I miss that?

Have managed to ditch loads of procedural code - script now looks very
minimalistic!

Thanks

Toni

Dos Paradox (4.0) vs Win Paradox 8 : Performance

Post by Sundial Service » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

> >Delphi is, ahh, "Turbo Pascal on steroids."  It is a compiled
> >programming language which is able to connect to Paradox databases
> >through the same BDE/IDAPI layer that Paradox itself uses.

> Ok, so you would use it instead of OPAL?  What are the advantages and
> disadvantages?  Let me start...  The disadvantage is you have to learn
> a new language.  The advantages are....?

Actually, Ken, I wouldn't(!) use it instead of OPAL in most cases.

Delphi is considerably harder to program in than OPAL, and the language
provides you only that ... a language, and a set of data-aware controls.
When you start to look for a good, built-in report writer, the interface
features and so-forth of "a database management system" vs. "a
programming language" ... they're not there!

This is *not* a slam on Delphi, not in the slightest.  But I have never
yet encountered a situation, in a database environment, where switching
to a compiled language made any huge difference in speed.  As I said
previously, databases are I/O-bound not CPU-bound.  If the application
is slow, then it is because the algorithm is inefficient -- not because
the runtime environment is inefficient in implementing it.

A good example of where Delphi *can* come in handy is EzDialogs
(TurboPower Software Company), which implemented a number of very useful
dialog-boxes in DLLs and made it simple to call these from Paradox.
Delphi is excellent for creating DLLs.  Sometimes it's great for
implementing whole applications.

But I maintain my point ... "if the program is slow, pick a better
algorithm."  (As the country song said, "there's yer trouble.")

Dos Paradox (4.0) vs Win Paradox 8 : Performance

Post by Richard Biff » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

I agree with all your points, but just in case anyone's interested in
ezDialogs (a great add-on for PdoxWin), the correct source is Woll2Woll
Software, http://www.woll2woll.com, 1-800-WOL-2-WOL).

Post by Frédéric BROUAR » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

> > If you're
> >needing to port to efficient 32-bit programs, consider adding
> >Delphi to your bag of tools.  Paradox for Windows and Delphi
> >make a great combination.
> >--

> OK, clueless question here.  What exactly is Delphi and what is it
> used for?

> Ken

I have been in a company, that was is France n 1 about Borland/Inprise
products ans I work as projet manager.
The result is clear :
The statistical differences between projects in Pdox/Opal and Delphi
with Paradox file format RDBMS see that you spend about 30 to 40%
much more time with Delphi ranther than Pdox/Opal.
But the purpose is not the same : try to make a tree view of a 1:n
relation between 2 tables in OPal, try to make a screen saver ....
or anything working directly with the OS...

In fact Delphi had a finest granularity of coding that you can easily
make everything you want, and it is a real object language.

One of is major avantage is the clear syntax of Pascal and the
great amount of free and share ware and components you can find
over the web. So the development is based on how to find and adjust
compenants rather than writing code...

Frederic BROUARD - databases conceptor in FRANCE
DELPHI - Paradox -  SQL C/S expert