LABELS PDOX 4.02 DOS

Post by Burton Stuttma » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Is there any way to set up labels from a table that contains
names with middle Initials and without middle initials that
will print uniformly?

If I place the MI field in label with spaces before & after
the label prints OK where name contains MI, but has too much space
on the names without middle initials.

Field Squeeze doesn't help as it only works on Fields... but won't
squeeze a line with an empty field.

Would appreciate any help.

Bstuttman

LABELS PDOX 4.02 DOS

Post by Marilyn Ainsl » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Is there any way to set up labels from a table that contains
>names with middle Initials and without middle initials that
>will print uniformly?

>If I place the MI field in label with spaces before & after
>the label prints OK where name contains MI, but has too much space
>on the names without middle initials.

>Field Squeeze doesn't help as it only works on Fields... but won't
>squeeze a line with an empty field.

>Would appreciate any help.

>Bstuttman

Use a calculated field along the lines of :

IIF([Initials]=""," "," "+[Initials]+" ")

--
Marilyn Ainslie
Cheshire  UK

LABELS PDOX 4.02 DOS

Post by Timothy J. Marcinia » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Use a calculated field such as:
[first name]+" "+iif(isblank([mi]),"",[mi]+". ")+[last name]
be sure to include enough space to accomdate the combined length of all
fields, Use the concept for the addresses city state and zip too.

ps:     the iif is intentional

Quote:> Is there any way to set up labels from a table that contains
> names with middle Initials and without middle initials that
> will print uniformly?

> If I place the MI field in label with spaces before & after
> the label prints OK where name contains MI, but has too much space
> on the names without middle initials.

> Field Squeeze doesn't help as it only works on Fields... but won't
> squeeze a line with an empty field.

> Would appreciate any help.

> Bstuttman

LABELS PDOX 4.02 DOS

Post by Bryan Coy » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Do a calculated field

iif([MI]<>"",[fname]+" "+[MI]+" "+[lname],[fname}+" "+[lname])

where [MI] is the initial variable and fname and lname are obvious

>Is there any way to set up labels from a table that contains
>names with middle Initials and without middle initials that
>will print uniformly?

>If I place the MI field in label with spaces before & after
>the label prints OK where name contains MI, but has too much space
>on the names without middle initials.

>Field Squeeze doesn't help as it only works on Fields... but won't
>squeeze a line with an empty field.

>Would appreciate any help.

>Bstuttman

LABELS PDOX 4.02 DOS

Post by David Ra » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Is there any way to set up labels from a table that contains
> names with middle Initials and without middle initials that
> will print uniformly?

Use calculated field like this:

        [First Name]+ " "+[Init]+" "+[Last Name]

LABELS PDOX 4.02 DOS

Post by Raymond M. Summerlin S » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Another Point to consider is a 2nd address (suite # or such) that alot of
mailing addresses have. Use LineSqueeze to take care of non-existent 2nd
address, but make sure you have enough room to fit it on the label if a
2nd address is there. Just place the 2nd address mask under the regular
address mask and specify LineSqueeze, then specify YES to remove lines with
blank fields, then specify FIXED to maintain label length.

-Ray-

>> Is there any way to set up labels from a table that contains
>> names with middle Initials and without middle initials that
>> will print uniformly?

>Use calculated field like this:

>    [First Name]+ " "+[Init]+" "+[Last Name]

______________________________________

http://www.nauticom.net/www/rsummerl

The.Question = (ToBe || NOT ToBe) ;
______________________________________

LABELS PDOX 4.02 DOS

Post by Burton Stuttma » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >> Is there any way to set up labels from a table that contains
> >> names with middle Initials and without middle initials that
> >> will print uniformly?

> >Use calculated field like this:

> >       [First Name]+ " "+[Init]+" "+[Last Name]

> ______________________________________

> http://www.nauticom.net/www/rsummerl

> The.Question = (ToBe || NOT ToBe) ;
> ______________________________________

Raymond,

Thanks for prompt reply... but unfortunately your formula does
not solve the problem.  When the Middle Initial Field is empty,
it will leave an extra blank space between the first & second names.
I did find the the solution on one of the Pdox tech notes.. that is
to use the command "immediate If"" (IIF) in calc field.. e.g.
IIF(IsBlank(MI) true formula, false formula)..
Thanks,again.
Burt Stuttman

LABELS PDOX 4.02 DOS

Post by Scott Simonso » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>       [First Name]+ " "+[Init]+" "+[Last Name]

Try in the calculated field ->

iif(isblank([Init]),[First Name]+" "+[Last Name],[First Name]+" "+[Init]+"
"+[Last Name])

Scott Simonson from Franklin WI

 Web Page: http://www.execpc.com/~scoots

******** Way to Go Green Bay Packers *************
********      Superbowl Champs       *************

> > >Use calculated field like this:

> > >       [First Name]+ " "+[Init]+" "+[Last Name]

> > ______________________________________

> > http://www.nauticom.net/www/rsummerl

> > The.Question = (ToBe || NOT ToBe) ;
> > ______________________________________
> Raymond,

> Thanks for prompt reply... but unfortunately your formula does
> not solve the problem.  When the Middle Initial Field is empty,
> it will leave an extra blank space between the first & second names.
> I did find the the solution on one of the Pdox tech notes.. that is
> to use the command "immediate If"" (IIF) in calc field.. e.g.
> IIF(IsBlank(MI) true formula, false formula)..
> Thanks,again.
> Burt Stuttman

LABELS PDOX 4.02 DOS

Post by Wayne W. McDouga » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > >Use calculated field like this:

> > >       [First Name]+ " "+[Init]+" "+[Last Name]

> Thanks for prompt reply... but unfortunately your formula does
> not solve the problem.  When the Middle Initial Field is empty,
> it will leave an extra blank space between the first & second names.
> I did find the the solution on one of the Pdox tech notes.. that is
> to use the command "immediate If"" (IIF) in calc field.. e.g.
> IIF(IsBlank(MI) true formula, false formula)..

A simpler solution. Use a calculated field:
[first name]+" "+ltrim([init]+" ")+[last name]

--

        A U C K L A N D   D E B A T I N G   A S S O C I A T I O N   (Inc)
Interested in debating, public speaking or adjudicating in Auckland?

1. Pdox 3.5 vs.Pdox 4.02 vs. Pdox 4.5

I am about ready to convert my Pdox 3.5 applications to a more stable DOS
version 4.xx version. I have seen various discussion on the differences between
versions 4.02 and 4.5. Considering that my overall goal is to keep my
applications as intact as possible (over 10,000 lines), what should I use? I
hear that 4.5 is *too* different ... requiring major rewrites of applications.
Is 4.02 *perfectly* compatible with 3.5 (OK, *reasonably* compatible!)? Any
reasons to stay with 3.5 versus 4.02? My applications run on Windows 95/98
machines but many of the tables reside on an NT network.

Any input would be most appreciated.
Thank you,
Mark Lyons

2. MDAC 2.6 Install failing - not enough free disk space

3. Pdox DOS 4.02 and Win XP

4. ORA-01008 not all variables bound ?

5. TKMenu substitute for PDOX DOS 4.02?

6. How can i determine current drive ?

7. PDOX DOS 4.02 Print File question

8. Visual Basic and DB2 - SQL Queries

9. Pdox 4.02 DOS - File Locking Problem - Steve Green

10. Help Dos Pdox 4.02 Application Workshop

11. Importing Text Files into Pdox 4.02 Tables

12. is it possible to make a touchscreen ap with pdox 4.02

13. Pdox 4.02 movement key problem