Paradox 4.5 and Novell 3.11 client problems

Paradox 4.5 and Novell 3.11 client problems

Post by asdfas » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I am currently using Paradox 4.5 with Novell 3.11 and Netx under DOS.
I have occasional GP failures with this combination but they are
manageable.  When I upgrade to the VLMs or to the 32 bit Client I get
a huge increase in script breaks and GP errors.

Does anyone know of a combination that works well.

Paradox 4.5 and Novell 3.11 client problems

Post by Frédéric G. MARAN » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Usually, PX4.5 DOS + VLM client is the best choice
- leaves more memory available than NETX
- is more stable than Client32 for DOS

However, obviously, PX Windows is a better choice, but I suppose you have to
maintain PAL code...

Quote:>I am currently using Paradox 4.5 with Novell 3.11 and Netx under DOS.
>I have occasional GP failures with this combination but they are
>manageable.  When I upgrade to the VLMs or to the 32 bit Client I get
>a huge increase in script breaks and GP errors.

>Does anyone know of a combination that works well.

Paradox 4.5 and Novell 3.11 client problems

Post by Lorrin Moor » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

No GP error is manageable.

Upgrade your server to at least v3.12 or 3.2 if possible.

Get the latest drivers for _all_ your server hardware.

Add battery backups to _all_ servers and client machines.

Check tables regularly for damage.

Maintain a robust (Bindery inclusive) off-site backup system.

And much much more, but I would start there.

--
Lorrin (filter the spam to reply)

Quote:> I am currently using Paradox 4.5 with Novell 3.11 and Netx under DOS.
> I have occasional GP failures with this combination but they are
> manageable.  When I upgrade to the VLMs or to the 32 bit Client I get
> a huge increase in script breaks and GP errors.

> Does anyone know of a combination that works well.

1. PARADOX 4.5 & NOVELL 3.11

We are using paradox 4.5 or windows on our novell network.  My entire
department uses NCR 3300 (486-50) with 8 - 24 megs of ram.  We have
been experiencing many problems with paradox -- mainly GPF's of many
varieties.

It has been difficult to diagnose the problems as being paradox or
novell, but we are not having any conflicts with our other network
software.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced problems similiar
to the following:

1. Upon attempting to run a form, and you get an "form not in run mode"
error.  The only remedy I have found to this is to copy all objects
onto a clean form -- then it runs just fine.  What is up with this??

2. This one just happened this morning.  A form that was running just
fine all last week did not run (on any machine) and gave a GPF which
of course crashed the machine.  I attempted to open the FSL version
and run it, but it did not run either.  I again, copied all objects
to a newform, and presto it ran!  But, immediately after I did that,
the old version ran just fine on all machines.  Is there a ghost in
the network?????

3. A form, sometimes, may give a GPF anywhere from 2 to 8 times in a
row, then on the next run, it will work just fine.

I know these things sound strange, but we are at our wits end.  We have
reinstalled paradox on the network, ran numberous diagnostics on the
memory configurations of our machines.  I have personally experiemented
with over 20 different configurations.  Our own IT & S department is
grasping at straws.  Just last week they went around installing ground
wires from the keyboard trays to the desk frames... that is how
desparate they are for a solution....

here is my current machine configuration:

NCR 3300 8 megs of ram
ATI Ultra Pro (Mach 32)

Config.sys
(I'll just list the important things)
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=EMM386.EXE NOEMS X=B000-C7FF X=CC00-CFFF
BUFFERS=10
FILES= 80
DOS=HIGH,UMB

system.ini

EMMEXCLUDE 9fff-Cfff

I have just received vesion 5.0!!  I will use this on a standalone basis
until our licensing arrangements are finalized for a network intall.  If
anyone has any suggestions or ideas about these problems, please email
me.

Thank you for your help!

Kipp :-(

2. Unexpected CPU usage on client side

3. left join between 2 select

4. Problems- PdoxDOS 4.5, WFWG 3.11, Novell 4.1

5. US-NC, GA-Oracle DBA-Aide Inc.

6. PDOX 4.5 Running on a LAN (Novell 3.11) and Accessed Out of Windows 95

7. ADODB.Stream

8. pdx 4.5 win 3.1 - 3.11 on novell 3.12

9. PDOXDOS 4.5 on Novell 3.11 under Windows for Wkgrps

10. PCOXWIN 4.5 and WfW 3.11 in a Novell net

11. Pdox 4.5 and WfW 3.11 in a Novell net

12. PDOX 4.5 for Win, Netware 3.11, WfWG 3.11