Looking for help on paradox and its limitations

Looking for help on paradox and its limitations

Post by Leslie Gordo » Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:00:00

To Anyone with Information

I am looking for information on paradox 5.0.  I need to know about its
limitations and strengths regarding the setup of tables, queries and
reports.  Where does the program run into trouble?  What makes it better
than other database software Programs

Thanks
Leslie

Looking for help on paradox and its limitations

Post by Fred Anasta » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I have used Paradox for about 10 years and here is why I choose it over any
other desktop database application, specifically Access:

1. The programming language, ObjectPal vs a subset of Visual Basic, has
always been more robust. (1500 commands vs 500, previous versions).

2. Distribution- With less than $1000 worth of software (Paradox Developer
and Runtime) I can write applications and distribute them to every desktop
in the company without having to put a licensed copy of the full blown
developer edition where users can get into trouble.

3. I recently read a thread about having to write code to delete and
recreate table indexes if the Access table grows to more than 100 to 120
thousand records.  Paradox maintains its' indexes and the number of records
is basically limited to the amount of available disk space.  I have seen an
application developed in another part of my company that has two tables
(the application contains many tables, these are the two used in the part I
saw), one with 180,000 records the other with over 300,000 records that is
blazingly fast.  It is a testament to what a great tool should do when used
in conjunction with good, common sense programming.

4. I would not go to a horse farm to buy a new car, why should I go to an
operating system company to buy a database?

5. Query by Example (QBE) is extremely easy to use and I believe more
capable than SQL.

I have not had to answer the question you are asking for a long time and
admit that the times and applications have changed, but believe that my
opinions are still reasonably valid.

Good Luck,
Fred

Post by J. D. McDonal » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> What makes it better is the Object Pal language. It beats Visual Basic by a
> mile.
> Pascal is the way God meant programming to work.

Object PAL is the most difficult to learn programming
language in existance. It is also the most difficult to use.
It's quite capable, but the documentation is abysmal:
you have to connect into the innards of it through functions which
are badly documented, and the interior workings are not documente at
all.

OPAL is not Pascal. Pascal is a stupid programming language,
designed for teaching programming to babies by a stupid
overly didactic European. It's bad enough that the original
PAscal is unuseable. There are lots of different PAscal dialects
out there, but is OPAL really one? I doubt it.

Doug MCDonald

Post by John Nickelso » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> To Anyone with Information

> I am looking for information on paradox 5.0.  I need to know about its
> limitations and strengths regarding the setup of tables, queries and
> reports.  Where does the program run into trouble?  What makes it better
> than other database software Programs

> Thanks
> Leslie

What makes it better is the Object Pal language. It beats Visual Basic by a
mile.
Pascal is the way God meant programming to work.

Jack
-----------------------
Please don't kill me, i have attorneys to support.
-----------------------

Post by John Nickelso » Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:00:00

> > What makes it better is the Object Pal language. It beats Visual Basic
by a
> > mile.
> > Pascal is the way God meant programming to work.

> Object PAL is the most difficult to learn programming
> language in existance. It is also the most difficult to use.
> It's quite capable, but the documentation is abysmal:

Compared to Visual Basic for Access it's wonderfully documented.

Quote:> you have to connect into the innards of it through functions which
> are badly documented, and the interior workings are not documente at
> all.

> OPAL is not Pascal. Pascal is a stupid programming language,
> designed for teaching programming to babies by a stupid
> overly didactic European. It's bad enough that the original
> PAscal is unuseable. There are lots of different PAscal dialects
> out there, but is OPAL really one? I doubt it.

True, it's not Pascal or Object Pascal, but i never said it was.
It doesn't support inheritance. It was written by the same people who wrote
turbo Pascal, it's intuitive and i can sometimes tell what the designers of
the language were thinking when i try to guess the syntax.

Quote:> Doug MCDonald

Please list a "Database Language"  which is better.

Looking for help on paradox and its limitations

Post by Reinhardt.Ke » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

geschrieben:

>To Anyone with Information

>I am looking for information on paradox 5.0.  I need to know about its
>limitations and strengths regarding the setup of tables, queries and
>reports.  Where does the program run into trouble?  What makes it better
>than other database software Programs

>Thanks
>Leslie

Don't compare Paradox vs. Access. Better look at "Clarion". Like
Paradox there are no colorful announcements, no sparkling bunny people
everywhere.

Both are just well crafted tools to do your work. But you have to be a
craftsman to use it. And by the way: Databases are definitely not for
"by the way" use.

Reinhardt

1. Help with Paradox Space Limitation

We have noticed that in Paradox when running the application on a drive
that has *free space* of > 2 GB we get an error message saying that Paradox
needs > 15 MB of free space. The hard drive could be 4 GB in size but it
won't run until at least 2 GB of space is used leaving less than 2 GB free
space. The test environment is a Novell 4.11 server with Win95
clients....anyone notice this type of problem or how to fix it?

Thanks

2. FlashBASIC Cursor positioning

3. table fields number limitations in Paradox :(, Help!

4. I want to know who can give me some advice?

5. Help-like Look-up Table (Paradox 7)

6. Permissions for Creating Datatype

7. HELP - looking for data-aware TDBOutline component to access Paradox databases

8. open database without data control

9. Looking for Paradox Informant download-files on Paradox table repair

10. Paradox table limitation

11. Paradox Limitations?

12. Paradox Form Limitations

13. Paradox 9 forms limitations