Where's the menu?

Post by Jesse Castleberr » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
Pardon my ignorance, but I've never used paradox before, and I'm not sure
how to find things.  We've got a new client with a Paradox program.  I'm
trying to find the source for one of the functions, and I was trying to
trace it through the menu, but I can't find the menu anywhere!!!  How can I
find the menu and edit it to find out what function (method, procedure,
whatever) a menu item runs.

They are running Paradox 7.0 right now.

Thanks,
Jesse

Where's the menu?

Post by Mark Knau » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Jesse,

The menu is created by code placed in a event at the form or page level.
To find code at the page level, right-click on the page of your form (while
in design mode of course,) and select "Object Inspector"  . When the object
explorer is open, make sure the tab titled "Events" is on the top.  The
menu-creating code may well be attached to one of the page events.  If you
see a little round marker next to the "Arrive" event or the "Open" event,
double-click on the event to open it.

If you don't find anything that looks like menu building code there, close
the object inspector.  Select Tools|Object Explorer and select the "form"
object there.  Check out the same forms events as I mentioned for the page.
 The key to remember is that some event must occur to cause the program to
build your menu.  An event that would occur early in the execution of a
form, such as arrive or open, is a good place to place the code.  If the
form has only one page, the page is a better place to put your code.

Spend some time right-clicking on objects to get familiar with what events
they respond to.

Mark

Quote:> Hello,
        -snip-
> trace it through the menu, but I can't find the menu anywhere!!!  How can
> find the menu and edit it to find out what function (method, procedure,
> whatever) a menu item runs.

Where's the menu?

Post by Ray Majewsk » Mon, 26 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm not sure which menu you're referring to.  If you're looking for code and
you don't know where to find it open any editor window and do a global
search for a keyword.  Just right click on any object and select the object
inspector.  Select the event tab and double-click any event to open the
editor.  There will then be a menu option to search.  Make sure you check
the global option.

>Hello,
>Pardon my ignorance, but I've never used paradox before, and I'm not sure
>how to find things.  We've got a new client with a Paradox program.  I'm
>trying to find the source for one of the functions, and I was trying to
>trace it through the menu, but I can't find the menu anywhere!!!  How can I
>find the menu and edit it to find out what function (method, procedure,
>whatever) a menu item runs.

>They are running Paradox 7.0 right now.

>Thanks,
>Jesse

Where's the menu?

Post by Terry Straehl » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

[This followup was posted to comp.databases.paradox and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

Quote:> Hello,
> Pardon my ignorance, but I've never used paradox before, and I'm not sure
> how to find things.  We've got a new client with a Paradox program.  I'm
> trying to find the source for one of the functions, and I was trying to
> trace it through the menu, but I can't find the menu anywhere!!!  How can I
> find the menu and edit it to find out what function (method, procedure,
> whatever) a menu item runs.

The menu is usually generated in the Open Event and the actual routines
are called in the MenuAction Event of the form or page.
--

 Straehley Associates - Computer Consulting and Programming

 http://www.strassoc.com